Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - Reply to Topic

Thread: Urgent help required. Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
04-09-2011 23:54
commuter we went to DVLA on friday and put in an application for my wife's licence to be changed to a full UK licence
01-09-2011 16:33
commuter Thanks Zebedee

and thanks Addie the "man at the counter" seems to think that if points were awarded for an offence against someone carrying a "foreign" licence they would be presented on a separate sheet and obviously the details would be logged against the drivers name and address

I have a number for DVLA licensing and will be contacting them to get it in writing if possible

If the worst comes to the worst I will be doing all of the driving this weekend when we pickup "Smurf" (kids decided the overcab looks like a Smurf hat)

I have spoken to my wife about her licence and surrendering it. She had already concluded this is probably the best option and is a little sad about it
01-09-2011 16:19
Originally Posted by commuter
believe it or not back from DVLA

The info from counter service is that she is a resident and is allowed to drive in the UK on an EU issued licence until the age of 70 (he qualified this as "actually pensionable age but that keeps changing")

She can, if she wants to, surrender her German licence to Swansea and simply exchange for a full valid UK licence without taking a test

I am more comfortable now that she is "legal" and all we have to do is find an insurance company to cover her
I would double check that since all of the online information states you must have a UK licence if you are resident for 3 (or 5) years as well as the 70 clause. I mentioned this initially as a Polish lad I know got stopped and produced a Polish licence and was told it was not valid as he had lived in the UK too long. The reason being is of course you are exempt from the UK 'points' system without a UK licence.

I do know however that once he surrendered his UK licence he applied for a Polish replacement!

I guess this all hangs on what counts as being a resident. I'm not sure if 'the woman at the counter' would satisfy my concerns!
01-09-2011 16:01
Originally Posted by commuter
. . . I know that's the simple solution but in her mind it's not simple to let go of a part of her national identity. It's also not a quick fix. . . .
I can fully understand this, especially if she goes 'home' to Germany from time to time for visits and maybe wants to hire a car! I was initially surprised that the process of getting a GB licence meant surrendering the original to DVLA to be sent back to the issuing authority, however on thinking about this I suppose it's obvious that you couldn't have two concurrent licences otherwise you could double your penalty points accumulation limit!

Have you looked at the reverse process, i.e. should she ever wish to recover her DE licence in place of the GB what would she have to do?
01-09-2011 15:33
Zebedee Hi Commuter

I'll edit your title into mixed case now, since you seem to be more or less sorted.

If we keep upper case titles strictly for emergencies they get noticed immediately . . . as you were fortunate to discover!

Someone on MHF has the answer to just about any question you can think of!!

01-09-2011 15:32
commuter forgot to say broker was

please don't tell me not to touch him with a brown, sticky, stick like thing
01-09-2011 15:30
commuter thought I'd managed to find a broker who can cover us. After going through the motions he gave me a figure including cover for my wife.

I went away to have a quick look at what was included and came to the conclusion that it matched Aviva .......too closely

Sure enough when I asked (forgot on the first call as I was so excited) it turned out to be Aviva

he looked again and came back with LV as another option (they cover us for our two cars so I'm 99.9% confident they will cover us for the motorhome)

I got a quote from LV a couple of nights ago which was overpriced and was surprised when the broker came back £130 cheaper for the same cover

Lets have a look at the quote when i get it in writing
01-09-2011 14:21
JohnGun you could try temp, enter relevant details and pay via credit card, you can then print off the temp insurance cert there and then

dont know if motorhomes are specified but you could fill in as Fiat Ducato or whatever and enetr the value etc as requested.

01-09-2011 13:46
Originally Posted by commuter
Originally Posted by cabby
That is the bit I cannot understand,if all you have to do is pay £50 and exchange one licence for another where is the problem. or have I missed an important fact.

The problem is that Aviva via the MHF site will not accept her German licence as a valid licence as their small print states that all drivers on the policy must have a full valid UK driving licence
Surely that must be challengeable under the EU law on ease of movement and right to live and work in ANY EU country.

How can you "live and work" somewhere (especially the UK with it's abysmal, compared to elsewhere, public transport) if you cannot obtain car insurance?

It may be worth a call to Aviva to ask them when an EU driving licence is not an EU driving licence and why?

How do all the Polish/Portguese/Romanian/Latvian/etc. workers over here get insurance for their English registered cars?
01-09-2011 12:50
Phil42 Insurance companies eh? It would be interesting to know how they can possibly justify this. It never ceases to amaze me how arbitrary their rules are. I'm sure someone will come on and say that all their rules have actuarial evidence behind them. I don't believe a word of it. I wish you luck on finding a sensible insurance company rather than one that is too idle or ignorant to take on anything that 'might' be a little bit complicated for them.

This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome