Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - Reply to Topic

Thread: Advice on electrical problem in motorhome Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
09-11-2020 13:19
jiwawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne and Ward View Post
Hi everyone-- thanks again for all the very helpful ideas you shared here-- very much appreciated.

We've finally solved it: someone at some point installed oxygen free wires (like for a car stereo) between the leisure battery and the distribution panel. As these wires do, they'd oxidized and were no longer transmitting the electricity well-- only a bit getting through so the system had isolated the leisure battery from the rest of the system. We cut off the oxidized portion of the wiring and are back up and running as normal.

Thanks everyone!
Excellent news! It feels good to solve a problem!
03-11-2020 16:36
ErnieB Have you checked for an in line fuse near the battery? it will, if it exists, be thicker than the wire and black. Failing that do you have a large box with the charger in it, if you have check the cables in the bottom of the box, we had one made by sargent and it had a burnt out connector.
03-11-2020 12:14
Penquin Not a thing I have ever heard of before "oxygen free wires" - must see what I can find out about such things ! Thanks for letting us know, in simple terms "naff wiring" may cover it.

Have now read a couple of explanations and of course our dear friend Wikipedia - the general consensus is that it is used in "high end speakers and amplifiers" so that makes sense, however all the articles say that the difference is debatable, if any and unless extremely long wires are used (over 15 metres) any difference in conductivity is negligible.

So, I doubt that I shall bother even considering using it in the noisy environment that a motorhome represents I doubt that my naff hearing would even recognise any possible Improvement in clarity while tootling along the N21 or even the A89 if we were homeward bound.....

Just one link;

https://customcable.ca/oxygen-free-c...-applications/

Sounds like a liberal dose of snake oil to me...
03-11-2020 11:19
Yvonne and Ward Hi everyone-- thanks again for all the very helpful ideas you shared here-- very much appreciated.

We've finally solved it: someone at some point installed oxygen free wires (like for a car stereo) between the leisure battery and the distribution panel. As these wires do, they'd oxidized and were no longer transmitting the electricity well-- only a bit getting through so the system had isolated the leisure battery from the rest of the system. We cut off the oxidized portion of the wiring and are back up and running as normal.

Thanks everyone!
17-10-2020 15:36
rayc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne and Ward View Post
Great idea-- yes, I will come back to post again once I sort it out.
Before giving up and calling the electrician you could try a couple of things if you wanted to.

Can you confirm that the 50a fuse was definitely in the leisure battery supply and not cab battery?

Can you remove the fuse and test the voltage on the fuse holder contacts, with the meter negative connected to battery negative? What do you read on the contact coming from the battery? What do you read on the contact going to B2+? [with EHU disconnected]

Can you use a test wire from battery positive to B2+? [with EHU disconnected] Does everything spring into life?
17-10-2020 15:28
Yvonne and Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Will you come back n tell us what the solution was please? All good info for future readers.
Great idea-- yes, I will come back to post again once I sort it out.
17-10-2020 15:12
jiwawa Will you come back n tell us what the solution was please? All good info for future readers.
17-10-2020 13:02
Yvonne and Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
That is why you should check the 50a fuse that should be somewhere between the battery positive and B2+
Thx to everyone who gave us such helpful information. I found and replaced the 50a fuse, but it's still doing the same (registering 12.7 v at the leisure battery, only 3.7 at the B2), so I think we'll give up, have a drink , and see if we can get an auto electrician to look at it next week.

All the info shared with us is much appreciated. See you all out there sometime soon.

Best, W
16-10-2020 13:56
rayc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne and Ward View Post

So it sounds to me like I've got two charged batteries (leisure and automobile) but am getting next to nothing from leisure battery at the distribution box...

Thx again
That is why you should check the 50a fuse that should be somewhere between the battery positive and B2+
16-10-2020 13:49
Yvonne and Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
I think that the control unit disconnects if the battery voltage drops below a pre set voltage [the drop dead voltage]. I thought it was 10.8v but with a cheapish multimeter a reading of 11.3v may be near enough.
In any event the question has to be where is the 2v or so from the battery being 'lost'? At the 50A fuse or the terminal connectors?
What I would do is run a wire directly from the battery positive to terminal B2+ and see what happens. It may be prudent to insert a 20A fuse in the wire.

Just a question, are you absolutely sure the battery voltage you are measuring as 12.7v is the leisure battery and not the cab one?

Can you confirm that when on EHU that the voltage from the charger measured at B2+ and B2 - is the same as at the battery terminals i.e. the charger is charging the battery.
Thx again. Oh, wow, this time when doing the checks you suggested I realized what I hadn't thought about before, that I was checking the leisure battery at B2 on distribution box while the motorhome was plugged into EHU. When I check B2 without being plugged in, it is really low, like 3.65v.

You asked me to confirm I was definitely checking leisure rather than engine battery, and I can confirm that (it's a Numax DC25MF back underneath the bed whereas the other is an Exide Excell EB950 under the hood).

You made another suggestion: I haven't yet run a wire directly from leisure battery to distribution box. I could figure that out and get 'er done if that's the key to the secret, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

So it sounds to me like I've got two charged batteries (leisure and automobile) but am getting next to nothing from leisure battery at the distribution box...

Thx again
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome