Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - Reply to Topic

Thread: Getting insurance on foreign registerd MH Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
25-03-2019 11:49
erneboy Yep. I know Kabundi. I only mention it to show that it seems to be legally possible within the EU for an Insurer in one country to insure vehicles registered in another.
25-03-2019 11:44
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I live in the UK but my van is insured under a scheme operated in the Republic of Ireland.

If you are referring to the Dolmen (Dublin) scheme they only provide cover for residents of Ireland, north and south
25-03-2019 10:07
erneboy I live in the UK but my van is insured under a scheme operated in the Republic of Ireland.
25-03-2019 09:22
raynipper Yes Dave. For the NCD when we came to France, luckily being a bit of a Magpie I had saved all my past UK insurance renewals showing my NCD entitlement for many years. Our French agent accepted these and immediately gave us the 50% discount which exists today.

25-03-2019 09:08
Penquin My experience is the same as Ray's, insurance for a limited time but checks by company every month....

In daughter's case they got VERY awkward and would only insure for ONE MONTH.

Sadly, because of this treatment, once the vehicle had completed its registration they refused to accept the UK certificate of No Claims discount and wanted a certificate less than two months old..... which as they had been insuring the vehicle on a monthly basis for 5 months could not be supplied.

Went to a different insurer and were only asked for proof of NCD in U.K.

So watch out for such things, IMO insurers in the U.K. are the most flexible, but they insure the person e.g to drive other vehicles with 3rd Party cover, that does NOT exist in France as the vehicle is insured for ALL DRIVERS with some restrictions e.g. age, valid licence (obviously). That is important if vehicle >3.5t as only pre-97 licences cover automatically.
24-03-2019 23:00
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
I know that most insurers in most countries will only insure vehicles registered in that country. I think this is not because of laws but company

I believe it is actually the law. Normally you can drive a foreign registered vehicle for up to 6 months, after which it needs to be registered under that countries regulations. Insurance companies can only insure vehicles registered in the country in which they too are registered. Same applies if yiu bring a foreign vehicle into the UK. Also note that many other countries insure "the vehicle to be driven by people" unlike the UK which insures "people to drive vehicles".
23-03-2019 21:41
Mrplodd Wouldnít worry yet. No way is Brexit going to happen for years (if ever!)

23-03-2019 15:53
raynipper I know French insurers will only give short term insurance to foreign registered vehicles while you try and register it in France.
It's took me over six months to reregister my Hobby and the insurance co checked every three months on progress.

23-03-2019 15:45
powerplus hi

there is a company in portugal spain and the uk called abbygate that cover cars out here in portugal and spain

might be worth giving them a try

23-03-2019 14:03
Getting insurance on foreign registerd MH

In anticipation of Brexit I am looking at re-registering the MH in Poland, but in advance want to find insurance.

It is difficult in Poland. Even my existing Underwriters, Allianz with whom I have current UK insurance till July, will not provide it in Poland because vehicle is >12 years.

I know that most insurers in most countries will only insure vehicles registered in that country. I think this is not because of laws but company policy.

Does anyone know of any insurers in any country who will insure a MH registered in another country?

I know this is a bit of a long-shot but I have to find a solution.


Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome