Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - Reply to Topic

Thread: Engine Cuts Out on M25 Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
13-06-2015 07:59
Originally Posted by Benimar owner View Post
What was the final outcome
After 4 YEARS they've probably forgotten
13-06-2015 06:06
Benimar owner What was the final outcome
20-06-2011 12:30
Still ongoing

Well we finally got our camper back on the 11th June only to plan a weekend away on the 18th for it to cut out again, the AA returned us to the storgage unit and we phoned Leicester at Lazy Days to ask for our money back, he refused. We have started the process with trading standards and it is now 21 days since we sent the letter asking for repair or refund. They cannot find the intermittent fault, but that is not our fault, so not we are paying to store a van that is totally unusable until the case has been dealt with. Our summer and all out plans have been ruined. All I can say is don't buy anything from there
09-04-2011 16:36
rosalan This is a sad case all round.
You losing your new van and I suspect some confidence in it.
Both garages who have been unable to locate an intermittant fault, who will certainly be losing money at this point but that is where my sympathy ends. Basically (sorry to use that cliche), all vehicle engines do work when all functioning components are in place and sound. The garage took your money with no doubt a hefty profit, now whatever needs replacing, even the whole engine or whatever, then they should do so. Good luck!
09-04-2011 14:11
Originally Posted by poppet1959
Thanks everyone, they have now agreed to loan us a motorhome until ours is fixed. We have issued the letter giving them 7 days to fix it or we choose a garage of our choice.
Don't under any circumstances, take it to another garage. As others have said, just give them 7 days to fix, or reject it as not fit for purpose and demand your money back, or a replacement, near identical MHome at no extra cost. As this will be almost impossible for them to source, just get your money back, plus any expenses you have incurred.

If you take it elsewhere, your case will be greatly weakened.
09-04-2011 13:45
Originally Posted by Fatalhud
It may not lock the steering but it will effect the power steering which could be off putting to some if their not ready for it
But if his engine has already cut out, he will already have no power steering and therefore turning the key to Off and then to start, will make no difference.

09-04-2011 11:19
Sonesta Hi Poppet,

Glad to hear you have been loaned a temp MH to use until your is fixed and although it's an inconvenience, at least you can enjoy life on the move again and attend Peterborough as planned.

We are in a similar position to you at the moment as our Fiat Comfortmatic developed a fault (long story which I've posted an account of in another thread) so I know how you feel and how soul destroying it is when you spend all that money on a motorhome and are then unable to enjoy it due to a problem that seems really difficult to pinpoint! That said, our dealer has been fantastic and very supportive and besides loaning us a brand new vehicle, we are having our 12 month MH replaced with a brand new 2011 one! It won't come off the production line until June/July though, so in the meantime, our dealers are swapping things like our Oyster satellite and our solar panel over to the temporary van so as to not inconvenience us too much.

Sounds like the Ford specialist who looked over your van, was as much in the dark as the Fiat one who was sent out to look at ours! In our case even the top Fiat specialist that came out out 3 times failed too correctly diagnose the problem and so Burstner have now decided to transport our MH back to Germany for a thorough investigation and health check over there!

We too are attending the Peterborough show (we're hoping to collect our temporary van on Weds) and it would be nice to meet up and share our experiences with you. I'll pm you my mobile number and if you fancy a chat then just give me a call.

Good luck and I hope you get everything sorted out to your satisfaction soon.

09-04-2011 09:31
poppet1959 Thanks everyone, they have now agreed to loan us a motorhome until ours is fixed. We have issued the letter giving them 7 days to fix it or we choose a garage of our choice. They don't seem to be able to isolate the problem, they have taken it to Fords but because the problem is intermittent it seems to have the at a loss. Yesterday they were taking the petrol tank off!!!! Your advice has been really useful
08-04-2011 11:14
DABurleigh This is the most compact and accurate advice I have ever seen on rejection. I often quote it:

Giving the dealer 3 opportunities to fix, the 6 month rule, and following due process in you rejecting are all key. YOU have the upper hand in law; don't let the dealer out manoeuvre you, but keep civil at all times, and log everything.

08-04-2011 10:59
Re: Ford Autosleeper Amethyst help needed

Originally Posted by poppet1959
We purchased our lovely Amethyst 9 weeks ago, we have only enjoyed one weekend in it since then. 6 weeks ago we were travelling along when it just cut out, got the AA out and they thought it was air in the system, got us going again. The following weekend it would not start, got the AA again , they couldn't get it going so they ttook it back to where we purchased it from, for the last 6 weeks it has been there, they have told us it's the fuel pump, then it was the relays, then it was the timing, now it's back to the fuel pump, it has also been to the Ford garage wh are now saying it is the fuel pump again. Up to now it is still not running and we still don't have out camper, we have had to cancel two weekends away and a trip to Ireland, we are due to go to the show at Peterborough next week bu it looks unlikely. We have asked to swap for a similar van but they want £3000 more for it. I don't know what to do as the dealer says that they only have a duty to fix the problem, as per the warranty, what can I do ....... ????
Tell them they have 7 days (or whatever) to fix the fault and return the vehicle to you in a working condition or you will formally reject the vehicle as "not fit for purpose" and/or "not of merchantable quality" in accordance with your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome