Roadpro Mini Dome - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jiwawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 22:51 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: CHAUSSON ALLEGRO 96
Roadpro Mini Dome

Had a Roadpro Mini Dome fitted 18 months ago using Humax HB 1100 S Freesat box and Cello full HD 1080p TV. Most of the time it works perfectly but occasionally when I switch on the box and telly the dish doesnít move. No attempt. Nothing. And no signal. Used a freestanding dish for many years so fully understand line of sight etc. Tried different Freesat box. Checked sat cable both ends and routing through Motorhome. Any ideas from anyone that has experience of this setup. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-03-2020, 00:02

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Have you tried contacting RoadPro Bob? I believe their customer service is very good. Tho whether they'd be around at the moment...
Penquin likes this.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
Bob Emmerson (30-03-2020)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-03-2020, 15:33

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Emmerson View Post
Had a Roadpro Mini Dome fitted 18 months ago using Humax HB 1100 S Freesat box and Cello full HD 1080p TV. Most of the time it works perfectly but occasionally when I switch on the box and telly the dish doesnít move. No attempt. Nothing. And no signal. Used a freestanding dish for many years so fully understand line of sight etc. Tried different Freesat box. Checked sat cable both ends and routing through Motorhome. Any ideas from anyone that has experience of this setup. Many thanks.

If it was fitted by them 18 months ago, then get back in touch with them by email or via their website.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/01...me-d3216/D3216

They are not currently answering the phone or working on vehicles, but you need to register your problem. The system has a 2/4. year warranty, so before doing very much at all, get in touch with them. Their Customer Service is excellent although, obviously at present what they actually DO is very limited.

I suspect that will give you the best advice and assistance possible. Do keep us updated with how things go.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 29-03-2020, 19:56 Thread Starter

Many thanks for your replies. Yes Iíve been in contact with Roadpro by phone and email. They have been very helpful and suggested various things to do and to check. I actually thought I had cured it with 2 of their suggestions and it was fine for several trips over the last few months both EHU and battery. But now back home unable to travel I fancied a night or two in the motorhome to relieve yearning to travel and then - no satellite. In the past just repositioning the motorhome by 180 degrees has worked and I will try this next week. As regards the warranty I would need to replicate the fault for Roadpro to see it and we are a long way from them. I think in desperation I was hoping somebody else had come across the same problem. Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 29-03-2020, 21:45

Personal Aire
If it's doing nothing, it sounds yo me like abwiring fault on the positive feed or the negative return to the box. There may be a fuse in the line and it probably has two positive connections, one ignition controlled and the other independent.

If you have a digital voltmeter check the connections with that both live and negative.

The easiest way would be to start with the negative, runnibg a direct wire from the leisure battery negative terminal.

If that proves to be OK check the ignition controlled feed if that is working properly there is a relay which cuts the power when the ignition is running - this initiates the close sequence on our Alden control and if this has operated then the fish cannot move - to ensure that you don't drive off with the dish raised. If you check this with the voltmeter if you have one, the power will only be live when the ignition is off, as soon as the ignition is on, the power is cut (on ours).

It certainly sounds like a power problem to my uneducated mind....

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 20:54 Thread Starter

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. The mini dome has no separate controller !! The satellite cable feeds voltage to the controller in the dome - 18volts checked today - so when the Humax Freesat box is switched on the dome gets a feed and moves to lock onto the satellite - unless the vehicle has not moved since last operation and is still locked on. I plan to move the motorhome tomorrow and retry. If no joy I will contact Roadpro again. Thanks again for your help. Regards Bob.

Last edited by Bob Emmerson; 30-03-2020 at 20:56.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 21:13

Personal Aire
WoK I accept that, but what about the supply TO the Freesat box ? Is that ignition controlled so no current option viable. If you attempt to start the engine with the fish " live or up" has it then shut down ?

My thoughts are that there is no power TO the freesat box and hence to the fish. 18v is not the normal voltage for most MH from my experience, how is it provided since it would need a transformer to go from the 12v leisure battery to the 18v that you mention......

It just seems odd yo me and the power fully would be what I was checking VERY thoroughly with the engine running and not....,

Or as Alice said; " Curiouser and curiouser"

Bob Emmerson (31-03-2020)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 21:30

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi penguin

i think the dish may be powered from the lmb feed as that is normally 18v

you sometimes see a dish with a light shining from the lmb to the dish and that is powered by the lmb supply

barry
The Following User Says Thank You to powerplus For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-03-2020, 22:45

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
hi penguin

i think the dish may be powered from the lmb feed as that is normally 18v

you sometimes see a dish with a light shining from the lmb to the dish and that is powered by the lmb supply

barry

OK, it may be me, but there has to be a supply to the unit, which then boots it up to 18v since the MH battery voltage is only 12 v nominally.

The LNB is not directly connected to an 18v source independent of the vehicle supply is it ?

That's why my first point to check would be that supply cable, from what you have described, it must go from the vehicle to the control box, be boosted to 18 v and then taken to the box within the signal.

Maybe I am missing something, or being dense, but to me that voltage must come from somewhere connected to the MH battery.

The installation instructions confirm that it is NOT connected via a separate supply, but takes its power from the decoder or the TV wherever the decoder is built in. This, whether it is the freesat box, or the TV will be connected to the 12v MH system.

https://www.sghomeleisure.co.uk/prod...pro-mini-dome/

That must therefore be the point to check, 'cos if the TV is not receiving the power it cannot pass it on. That must be the route unless there is a separate satellite decoder box which would also have a 12v power supply.

These units need to be checked for power. If the TV standby red light does not come on, when it is turned on, the supply to the TV must be suspect. If it does then the connection from the TV to the LNB could be the problem - I do not know what format that takes; many are HDMI connections, others use scary or perhaps just the aerial lead - those connections Ned to be verified if the TV standby light comes on but nothing else happens.

Last edited by Penquin; 30-03-2020 at 22:55.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-03-2020, 23:18 Thread Starter

Many thanks again for your suggestions. The Cello TV and Humax freesat box are both 12v and fed from a 12v socket in the TV cupboard which feeds from the leisure battery via the control panel. Yes penguin TV and freesat box all working ok. powerplus is correct - the dish and controller in the dome is only powered via the lnb feed from the freesat box at 18v but can be 13v dependent on channel polarization ! ! Whilst typing this Iím now wondering if there are enough amps available at the TV socket - although it works ok 99% of the time. Iím no electrician so tell me if Iím talking rubbish. I will try a separate 12v socket for the sat box and also try with engine running. Many thanks again for bearing with me. Regards Bob.

Last edited by Bob Emmerson; 31-03-2020 at 23:24.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page