Avtex FTA tuner - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-05-2018, 20:00 Thread Starter

Avtex FTA tuner

Hi! I've recently bought a new Avtex TV which has a built in Sat Tuner. Works fine except it registers lots of unnecessary channels that then need to be sorted and deleted, and the Program Guide is unusable as it doesn't populate properly.
I've been told it's because the Tuner is for FTA channels and not Freesat as I first thought.
My old TV was Analogue and worked via a SKY box, but that has an analogue output so the new TV won't accept it as it requires a Digital Signal via the Aerial socket.
Is there a Freesat box that has a Digital output via an RF output (Aerial Cable) otherwise I'll have to run a new cable from one side of the van to the other and fit an output socket.
The new box will need to be 12V or fed via an external power supply.
Alternately can the Analogue output from the SKY box be changed to Digital.
All ideas gratefully received - this must have been aired before, but I cant find the info.

Rob

Experience comes from what we have done. Wisdom comes from what we have done badly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-05-2018, 16:42

My Motorhome: Roller Team T-590
Personal Aire
I think you will have to run an HDMI cable from the Sky box to the TV. If your Sky box does not have HDMI output then a new Freesat box certainly will. I have no experience of these, but here are some options http://www.satgear.co.uk/satellite-r...aravan-12-volt

I too was disappointed about the absence of Freesat Guide on Avtex and Cello TV's with built in Sat receiver. It was not obvious on the sales blurb.

Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-05-2018, 19:52

My Motorhome: Autotrail Tracker EKS SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMD View Post
Hi! I've recently bought a new Avtex TV which has a built in Sat Tuner. Works fine except it registers lots of unnecessary channels that then need to be sorted and deleted, and the Program Guide is unusable as it doesn't populate properly.
I've been told it's because the Tuner is for FTA channels and not Freesat as I first thought.
My old TV was Analogue and worked via a SKY box, but that has an analogue output so the new TV won't accept it as it requires a Digital Signal via the Aerial socket.
Is there a Freesat box that has a Digital output via an RF output (Aerial Cable) otherwise I'll have to run a new cable from one side of the van to the other and fit an output socket.
The new box will need to be 12V or fed via an external power supply.
Alternately can the Analogue output from the SKY box be changed to Digital.
All ideas gratefully received - this must have been aired before, but I cant find the info.
Surely if it has a Sat Tuner in and you have a dish/dome then it should work. Are you trying to use the Freeview channels (terrestrial), these will only work via a digital aerial.

We have a sat dome and use an Icecrypt receiver for our freesat channels although we have built-in Freeview on our Avtex but as we got rid of the terrestrial aerial we don't use them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-05-2018, 00:23 Thread Starter

I was hoping to use the RF line from the Receiver to TV so I wouldn't have to run a new cable which will be difficult to conceal.
I contacted Avtex and they confirmed the Sat Tuner is Free to Air and admitted the EPG is poor. The only reason for having a separate sat receiver is so that I can use Freesat with a decent EPG and not the dire offering of FTA.
A freesat box would need to be 12V and preferably have a remote pick up so the box could be out of sight as is my old Sky box.
Humax seem quite popular - does anyone have any idea what voltage they use?

Rob

Experience comes from what we have done. Wisdom comes from what we have done badly!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-05-2018, 11:38

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Can't help with the box, but I bought a remote pick up off Ebay a few years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infrared-...YAAOSwHIhZimpj
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-05-2018, 14:22

My Motorhome: Autotrail Tracker EKS SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMD View Post
I was hoping to use the RF line from the Receiver to TV so I wouldn't have to run a new cable which will be difficult to conceal.
I contacted Avtex and they confirmed the Sat Tuner is Free to Air and admitted the EPG is poor. The only reason for having a separate sat receiver is so that I can use Freesat with a decent EPG and not the dire offering of FTA.
A freesat box would need to be 12V and preferably have a remote pick up so the box could be out of sight as is my old Sky box.
Humax seem quite popular - does anyone have any idea what voltage they use?
We have an Icecrypt Sat receiver. As with all these receivers they pick up all channels they find and a lot of them are not of any use to us so we have just picked the channels we want and clicked them as favourites so only those come up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-05-2018, 17:48

My Motorhome: Roller Team T-590
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
I have no experience of these, but here are some options http://www.satgear.co.uk/satellite-r...aravan-12-volt

This page I quoted earlier is for 12v Freesat boxes

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page