Will this Freeview box work in the Van on 12volt? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-05-2017, 10:55 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Will this Freeview box work in the Van on 12volt?

My old Panasonic DVD/HD recorder has finally gone belly up. I used to transfer films to DVD to watch on our 12volt TV/DVD while abroad so obviously that isn't possible anymore, a bit time consuming anyway.

I was thinking about getting one of those freeview recorders to use both at home and to put in the van while away but would like it to run direct from 12 volt leisure batteries like the TV.

I've identified a Humax fvp-4000t which I think might be ideal for our needs as it is one of the few that actually have wifi built in for home use, it runs via a 12v/mains adapter for the home.

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/fvp-40...0gb-mocha.html

Can I run this box ok in the van via a 12v cable? Power is rated at 2.5 amp max?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-05-2017, 17:33

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
If it has a 12 volt adapter (which my Humax has) then the answer is yes you can.
Just makes sure to wire the 12V plug the right way round!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
peejay (28-05-2017)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-05-2017, 18:00

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Hi Pete
I'm sure the Humax will work OK on 12v but why pay so much and why do you need wifi?

Personally I'd buy a BT or TalkTalk YouView box (plenty of unwanted ones around on Gumtree for cheap money).
They work well on 12v, they're small and portable and you don't need to have them connected to a router except when you want to use "on demand" services or update them.
The BT versions are made by Humax and the TalkTalk ones by Huawei so they're good quality. Take care when buying as not all of them have a PVR drive built in, the best ones are the BT with 500gb drive or the TalkTalk ones with the 320gb drive.

Example for sale her:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/tv-recepti...ed./1238778605
peejay and peejay like this.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-05-2017, 21:16

My humax would not work on 12v despite Humax saying it should. It kept turning off after a few sevonds. Not very satisfying!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4maddogs For This Useful Post:
peejay (28-05-2017)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-05-2017, 05:41

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Bush do a 12v HDMI PVR which is a bit larger than a book, it also has a front USB slot for any downloaded movies, and has been very reliable had ours about 3-4 years now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bush-B500P...EAAOSwBahVetk-
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-05-2017, 09:10 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Plenty to consider there.

The reason I preferred a wifi enabled one is our router is in another room so will be a bit of a pain updating the box etc but its a preference, not crucial. Strange that most of them only have an ethernet cable in this high tech age.

I was intending to use it at home mainly because our Samsung 'Smart' TV didn't have 4od but I checked yesterday and the app is now finally available after an update so the box will be used purely to record stuff to watch at home and of course while away.

I'll have a rethink and err towards the more compact models.

Thanks to all.

Pete
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-05-2017, 18:26

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
The reason I preferred a wifi enabled one is our router is in another room so will be a bit of a pain updating the box etc but its a preference, not crucial. Strange that most of them only have an ethernet cable in this high tech age.
Pete
They usually only fit an ethernet connection because they consider wifi too slow and/or unreliable. Whether this is true or not obviously depends on local factors. My solution is to use mains network adaptors for any piece of kit that needs access to the router, works absolutely fine.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
peejay (28-05-2017)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-05-2017, 16:35 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Righty ho, I've bitten the bullet and got a BT Youview box (Humax dtr-t2100), all set up at home and works a treat.

Next thing is to get it sorted on 12volt in the M/home. I've looked on ebay and there is no specific 12v lead for the DTR-T2100 just some other Humax models as per the link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...apter&_sacat=0

Would any of the ones in the link be ok to fit the BT box or can anyone suggest another way to connect in the M/home.

I only have a 12v socket in the TV cabinet, don't really want to be messing with inverters.

I've got an old 12v lead to cigar lighter socket but the connector doesn't fit the youview box.

Any advice appreciated.

Pete
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-05-2017, 18:35

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
They look as though they should be the right thing - just make sure that the seller accepts returns.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
peejay (31-05-2017)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-05-2017, 21:56

Personal Aire
That's a very interesting and quite difficult question Pete.

I've just had a look at a T2100 and it appears to have a EIAJ-03 type plug - one of the more unusual ones.
You need to contact the seller and ask if the 12v lead is (or can be) fitted with that type of plug.
It looks to me from the photos that the fitted plugs are EIAJ-04 - but of course they could just be "stock" images.

If you don't have any luck try contacting this seller:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/danelo-powe...=p4634.c0.m322

I know they can supply laptop adaptors with the correct plug (they fit some HP laptops) as I bought one from them recently, they may be able to supply you with a 12v lead.

If you have no success there, consider just buying a spare AC adaptor, cutting the transformer bit off and attaching a cigar type plug instead. Just make sure you end up with the positive wire to the centre pin of the plug.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (31-05-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page