Will this Freeview box work in the Van on 12volt? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2017, 11:45 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Thanks Ken,

Emailed both suppliers (cablerite and goodlead) to ask if they are bt box compatible.

The one from cablerite looks promising, we shall see.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2017, 12:32

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Hi.
Theres no need to "mess about" with inverters - just get a compact one with no cables
if you going to piddle about with cables, adapters etc you have just as much mess.. go for one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Un...EAAOSwJcZWg8Dk

Gives you a USB outlet too for charging your phone.

The rich stay rich by living like they're poor
The poor stay poor by living like they're rich
The Following User Says Thank You to drcotts For This Useful Post:
peejay (02-06-2017)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-05-2017, 15:18

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcotts View Post
Hi.
Theres no need to "mess about" with inverters - just get a compact one with no cables
I can't speak for Pete but my reluctance in using inverters is nothing to do with "messing about", simply it's to avoid the loss of efficiency (and therefore leisure battery capacity) when using them.
I note that the seller of the device you link to doesn't mention efficiency (to be fair he probably hasn't got a clue what it is anyway).
Some years ago I ran some tests on inverter efficiency compared to DC/DC converters and found that on small appliances the losses could be much higher when an inverter was used. This is of small interest where appliances are being used for very short periods but can be a significant factor when the inverter is coupled up to a TV or DVR where several hours of operation are possible.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 17:02 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Not doing very well with this one.

Emailed and phoned/left messages with several of the ebay sellers on my list, no replies yet.

Rang the ebay contact in Gaspodes link, phone just rings with no answer.

Do people not want my custom?

On closer inspection of the connector on my plug it doesn't seem to match any of the 12v ones on ebay where there is a photo anyway.

Mine has a really thin centre pin, the ebay ones are much fatter where you can see them. As Ken said, its a really unusual one.

Thought of getting an original spare mains adapter and cutting off the 230volt plug and fitting a 12volt cigar type plug to the end but it appears that BT or Humax don't do them as spares and the ones on Ebay specifically for the BT DTR-T2100 have also def got the wrong tip on the end.

Bummer.

Pete
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 17:35

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
Thought of getting an original spare mains adapter and cutting off the 230volt plug and fitting a 12volt cigar type plug to the end but it appears that BT or Humax don't do them as spares and the ones on Ebay specifically for the BT DTR-T2100 have also def got the wrong tip on the end.

Bummer.

Pete
Don't take the photos on Ebay as gospel Pete, they frequently just use stock images which don't always reflect the type of plug fitted to the specific adaptor. I'll have a look through the adaptors that I've got lying around (I've got drawers full of them) to see if I have anything you can adapt. I know I should have at least one for a TalkTalk box but I'm not certain they're the same because the TalkTalk Youview boxes are made by Huawei so they may use a different chassis socket.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 18:24 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
Don't take the photos on Ebay as gospel Pete, they frequently just use stock images which don't always reflect the type of plug fitted to the specific adaptor. I'll have a look through the adaptors that I've got lying around (I've got drawers full of them) to see if I have anything you can adapt. I know I should have at least one for a TalkTalk box but I'm not certain they're the same because the TalkTalk Youview boxes are made by Huawei so they may use a different chassis socket.
Cheers Ken, that would be great.

The centre pin is really narrow, maybe just a mm in dia and the outer sleeve is stepped at the end.

I've att'd a few photos if it helps.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt1.JPG (36.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bt2.JPG (54.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bt3.JPG (34.5 KB, 6 views)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 19:14

Personal Aire
Hi Pete
It looks as if I gave you duff info when I said it was a EIAJ-03 plug.
In fact it's a EIAJ-04, a type used almost exclusively by Sony it appears.
I don't have one in my collection (the TalkTalk box uses a different plug, as do other BT Youview boxes) but I've found an adaptor on Ebay, it's from China but it would allow you to use a standard 12v lead with a 5.5/2.1mm plug so it's an easy solution.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281329857554

I'll look around at the weekend, if I find one I'll let you know.

Edit: Just found one on Banggood, if you need it quickly they're usually quite quick if you choose the "priority shipping" option.
https://www.banggood.com/DC-Power-Ti...l?rmmds=search
peejay and peejay like this.

Last edited by gaspode; 01-06-2017 at 19:35.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
peejay (01-06-2017)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 21:05 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Brilliant Ken, just ordered it, gotta be worth a punt for a few quid.

Pete
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 21:23

Personal Aire
So what do you think of the YouView box Pete?

I find I can pick them up regularly on Gumtree and car boots for next to nothing and they work quite well once you get used to the interface. I have one in the bedroom set to record intellectual stuff from BBC4 and O/U during the night, makes interesting viewing if you suffer from insomnia and need something to get you off to sleep.
I've been buying them mainly for the hard drives recently, if you can pick one up for a tenner with a 500gb 2.5" hard drive in them it's a bargain and very useful for replacing HDs in laptops.
I've never actually used one in the van during a trip but they work fine for playback without a data connection so should be ideal for what you want.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quite impressed with it so far Ken.

Judy is a bit of a luddite but she finds the youview epg very easy to use especially when programmes you want to tape overlap, that used to be a pain on the old box rescheduling everything.
Nice and compact as well so will fit in the van nicely.
Waiting for a pair of broadband extenders, then we'll be able to use it for catch up etc, whereas atm we have to switch to the TV for that which is connected via wifi.

BTW I missed the second link you added later on but happy to wait for the ebay part to come from China as our next big trip isn't until early autumn. Its another option though if the other bit gets lost on the way. Thanks again.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page