Freesat - what does it offer??? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 21:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: BLACK IH N series 630RL
Question Freesat - what does it offer???

Hi, I am considering paying SKY the £175 for Freesat with a view to using the box in conjunction with my Oyster Cytrac DX dish but I have a number of questions I hope somebody can answer for me.

1. Am I assuming right in that using Sky Freesat I will be then able to access the Astra Sky footprint which reaches much further South?
2. Through Sky Freesat what additional channels am I likely to get around Benidorm area.
3. Is this additional cost worth it or should I consider full subscription to Sky and then get a dig box, although I think I have to have it connected to phone for first year - is that correct?

Hope someone can help
Regards
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 22:04

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
FreeSat is as it's name suggests, free to air and free to download, no subscription is possible or needed.

I suspect, but do not know, that what you would be paying for is access via Sky as Sky channels do include encrypted ones but some Sky ones are also free if you have a suitable decoder (an old Sky box without a valid card will still pick up the free channels but will display a sign saying you cannot pick up the ones for which a valid card is required.

You also cannot use SkyPlus without a valid card, even if you use an old Sky Plus box.

Accessing via Sky means that the satellite dish will lock on to the Sky Broadcasts first - which seems to have a stronger signal than the now reduced footprint for freesat. Having accessed the satellite I suspect it will then allow you to download the freesat signals.

Why the £175 charge I do not know, only a Sky subscriber can explain that (we cannot subscribe as we live in France).

With an Oyster system I would be tempted to use a freesat 12v decoder box and see how that works rather than Sky, many people with Oyster boxes have said that they ca pick up BBC etc well down through France and East into Germany as well. We pick up Freesat using a smaller dish than supposedly should work, although it does break up when there is heavy rain or lightning around (not surprisingly).

I hope that gives you some ideas,

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
aldershot1 (17-09-2016)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 22:28

My Motorhome: Rapido 7090
Personal Aire
If you mean that you expect to get BBC ITV Ch4 etc further afield than with a freesat box then I don't think you will. There is only one set of satellite signals for these channels and the size of your satellite dish is the major factor, getting them through sky is just a sort of rebranding. You will of course get some sky channels further south.

Kev
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Canoe & Kayak manufacturer/retailer
The Following User Says Thank You to WildThingsKev For This Useful Post:
aldershot1 (17-09-2016)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 07:46
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
fyi...we got the full range of UK channels whilst in Cologne this summer using a freesat 12v box and our Teleco dish (85cm I think)

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
aldershot1 (17-09-2016)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 09:13

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I can't see it's worthwhile buying the Sky Freesat offering as it would be cheaper to but a Humax Freesat box - or other make. Sky's £175 charge includes installation which you won't want. Alternatively if you have an old Sky box that you don't use then connect that up instead - that's what I use.
dghr272, dghr272, GMJ and 1 others like this.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
aldershot1 (17-09-2016)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 19:12 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone tour thoughts have been most useful. One last question ' what is the difference between Freest and Freeview?'

John
The Following User Says Thank You to aldershot1 For This Useful Post:
GMJ (17-09-2016)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 19:18

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Freesat is received via satellite and freeview is received through a standard tv Ariel in your house.

Have a look at the freeview and Freesat sites for more info.

Davy
Penquin, Penquin, GMJ and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRienza For This Useful Post:
aldershot1 (17-09-2016)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 19:57

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Both are digital broadcasts transmitted via different routes as said, the aerial route has a range of perhaps 40 miles maximum from the aerial, but there are "repeaters" all over the place to ensure a good signal in most areas.

The satellite route goes via ONE part of ONE satellite which has been "tuned" and constructed to give a "footprint" that fits over the UK and not much further (or so the broadcasters would wish - however that is impossible to achieve so they have gone for the minimal possible.

Reception depends upon the size of the dish reflecting the signal onto the receiver (the LNB actually picks it up after it has been bounced off the dish onto the LNB) - so it's a bot like a torch in reverse - in this case the signal is being gathered in and concentrated, whereas in a torch it starts as a "concentrated source" (the bulb filament) and is then spread out to give the beam.......

The actual footprint looks a bit like;

On that picture the figures express the diameter of the satellite dish that theoretically MIGHT work there.... but there are other factors involved as well..... so it is not as easy as that......

If you want to find out what channels are broadcast on which part of which beam, this page will guide you....

Which beam for which channel

In order to watch the BBC, ITV, C4 etc. you will need to be receiving the UK Spot Beam.

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
aldershot1 (17-09-2016), GMJ (18-09-2016)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 20:10 Thread Starter

Thanks Davy & Dave it is much clearer to me now.
John
Penquin, Penquin, GMJ and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 18-09-2016, 19:47 Thread Starter

The last questions on this subject (i promise.). I have an Avtex L187DRS TV that I am able to directly link to satellite.This removes the need for a separate receiver box. I have looked everywhere and have not been able to pin down the actual channels this will provide and whether these channels will diminish as I go into Europe.

I assume that when TV is connected to terrestrial ariel I will receive Freeview but what do I get when connected to the satellite? Also what added value will a Freesat box give me over the Avtex inbuilt receiver??

Lastly I have been offered both a twin LNB and single LNB with switching device if I decide on the extra box. What do you consider the more effective option?.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page