Oyster system and digital tv? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 14:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...swift kontiki 669
Oyster system and digital tv?

Hi

Sorry for more questions.

My kontiki has the oyster sat dish on the roof and also an arial which I presume is a digital arial?

So my question is I can get the sat to work which is average at best as it doesn't get many channels and quite a lot of them it says no signal so can this be improved at all?

Also I don't seem to be able to tap into the arial to get "normal" tv so any ideas?

Many thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 15:00 Thread Starter

Doh wrong forum, doing it from my phone.

Can a mod please move this to the satellite section please
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 16:57

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Firstly, If your Oyster is locking onto the correct satellite (Astra 28.2) but you're not receiving many programs it almost certainly needs re-tuning, quite a simple thing to do via the receiver menu. You should be able to receive hundreds of active channels via 28.2.

As to the terrestrial aerial, firstly you won't need it once the satellite is working OK, secondly the members will need a lot more info to come up with some sort of diagnosis.

For instance:
What make & model of aerial
Have you got a booster amplifier
Is it omnidirectional or unidirectional and if the latter are you pointing it in the right direction
Are you retuning the TV every time you move onto a different location

All terrestrial aerials will pick up both analogue and digital signals if you're within the range of a transmitter, there's no significant difference.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 18:16

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Gaspode

I thought all analogue signals had been turned off in the UK now ???? So the only option is Freeview.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 19:20 Thread Starter

When you switch the tv over to digital it has nothing, I've retuned the sat but I get a lot of the regional stuff like itv and bbc and a lot of other rubbish. Is there a channel list anywhere you can get?

I wonder if you need to swap anything over in the cupboard from the dish to the arial?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 19:29

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Gaspode

I thought all analogue signals had been turned off in the UK now ???? So the only option is Freeview.

Andy
But the O/P doesn't state where he wants to use the TV aerial does he - and he wants reassurance that his rooftop aerial will work on digital.
I'm not sure what analogue usage remains within Europe these days but I can imagine that places like Morocco may well still use it. We've occasionally used our terrestrial aerial overseas when out of range of Astra 28.2 - and very interesting it can be too. I once watched the "Eurovision Song Contest" from a French terrestrial broadcast when storms blocked out the satellite signal - hilarious.

The point I was making however is that all mobile aerials initially designed to work on analogue will usually function fine on a digital signal. The exception may be where an aerial is designed for a specific frequency band matched to a specific local transmitter - which of course would never apply to an aerial intended for mobile use.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 19:41

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbz73 View Post
When you switch the tv over to digital it has nothing, I've retuned the sat but I get a lot of the regional stuff like itv and bbc and a lot of other rubbish. Is there a channel list anywhere you can get?

I wonder if you need to swap anything over in the cupboard from the dish to the arial?
Have you checked the RF (aerial) lead integrity between the aerial and the TV? Also there will usually be a signal booster in the circuit which will need to be powered from your 12v supply and switched on. If that's all OK then you will need to turn the aerial towards the transmitter (if it's a unidirectional one) and once it's pointing to the local transmitter then you'll need to re-tune the TV.

You'll always get a host of regional programs on a FTA (free to air) satellite receiver like the Oyster one, you'll need to go through them and sort out the ones you want. Alternatively you could use a Freesat receiver or Sky box which will sort them for you. You can get a channel list for Astra 28.2 from Lyngsat (Google it) but it'll probably blow your mind. If you want to receive Sky subscription content then you'll need a subscription card and a Sky receiver.

PS: You could always take a good book instead?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 22:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
Have you checked the RF (aerial) lead integrity between the aerial and the TV? Also there will usually be a signal booster in the circuit which will need to be powered from your 12v supply and switched on. If that's all OK then you will need to turn the aerial towards the transmitter (if it's a unidirectional one) and once it's pointing to the local transmitter then you'll need to re-tune the TV.

You'll always get a host of regional programs on a FTA (free to air) satellite receiver like the Oyster one, you'll need to go through them and sort out the ones you want. Alternatively you could use a Freesat receiver or Sky box which will sort them for you. You can get a channel list for Astra 28.2 from Lyngsat (Google it) but it'll probably blow your mind. If you want to receive Sky subscription content then you'll need a subscription card and a Sky receiver.

PS: You could always take a good book instead?
That's interesting as I have a skybox f5 so might see if that gets signal in there as I can tether it to my phone to get all the channels

And you are correct the main reason to buy this camper was to get away from technology but this is just for those dark days and maybe the odd football match
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:30

Good morning,

There are a lot of different versions of the Oyster system so before offering any advice I think the best course of action would be to contact our office where we can ascertain which system you have and then look at restoring it to full working order.

If you would like further assistance with this problem please contact our office on 01858575928 or if you would prefer you can email me at [email protected]

Regards,
Anthony Read
Technical Advisor
Oyster Sat-Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page