Speakers at the back of the van - Solved! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-06-2013, 21:02 Thread Starter

Speakers at the back of the van - Solved!

A while ago I fitted a Cello 12V TV with built-in DVD, Freeview & Freesat to replace the rather ageing LCD TV that came with our Knaus Sun Ti.

The TV is great, nice clear picture and a larger screen because the speakers are rear-mounted so more of the available width is covered with screen.

But, two problems:

1) the sound from the rear-mounted speakers always sounds a bit muffled because they're facing the wrong way

2) we sometimes like to sit in bed watching a DVD and it's a reasonable distance from the rear-mounted bed to the front-mounted TV, so we end up having the sound up quite loud.

I was wandering round our local Aldi the other day and amongst the various 'Special Buys' were some rechargeable bluetooth speakers. Available in Red, Black or White for £20

So, I bought a pair of white ones and velcro'd them above the bed, then bought a rechargeable bluetooth audio transmitter from eBay (£10).

And, Voila. I now have the TV sound in the back of the van above the bed nice and clear, we don't have to have it so loud that you could hear it outside the van, and I didn't need to find a way of routing speaker cables from front to back (which never looked very easy).

I can also pair phones, tablet or laptop with the speakers and I get a much better sound than through the built-in speakers.

The only problem is that I'll need to re-charge the speakers and transmitter periodically, but that doesn't seem much of a hardship considering how flexible the solution is.

Morph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluetooth_speakers_115.jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bluetooth_transmitter_962.jpg (22.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-06-2013, 22:37

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
Thanks for that,an interesting solution to the perennial problem of poor quality and tinny sound from flat screen tv's.

I have been thinking about getting a Cello tv as well and would like some feedback before taking the plunge.I would probably get a bluetooth equipped radio and connect the transmitter to it and use the radio speakers(which I have upgraded)for tv sound.

Does the bluetooth transmitter simply plug into the tv headphone socket?

Also what is the EPG on the Cello like for the satellite/freeview receiver ie is it a comprehensive 7 day guide.

cheers Steve
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-06-2013, 22:53

We were unable to hear our van TV clearly. I tried a small transmitter, using the radio to pick up the sound from our TV. We still found that the sound quality was not clear enough.
The problem was solved with a 5m length of 3.5mm Jack male to male which plugs into the TV and the aux input of the radio. The sound is now very much better and more stable.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-06-2013, 08:31

I've just bought cables to run TV through Radio from www.kenable.co.uk
I bought 3mtr 3.5 jack to socket lead and fitted this in over head looker, exit towards radio end and then bought 3.5 jack to jack to fit to radio when required.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-06-2013, 16:41

Sounds a good idea Morph , how do you control the volume ,is it possible to do it with TV remote ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-06-2013, 17:00

My Motorhome: Burstner I709G
Hi wakk44, I brought a cello TV and can only say it was the biggest piece of C**p I have ever owned, word of advice dont even go there spend the extra and buy a avtex much better.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-06-2013, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandadbaza
Sounds a good idea Morph , how do you control the volume ,is it possible to do it with TV remote ?
My TV remote works the volume control correctly. the big adantage is that the sound is much better quality.

Safariboy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-06-2013, 23:31

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaredandy
Hi wakk44, I brought a cello TV and can only say it was the biggest piece of C**p I have ever owned, word of advice dont even go there spend the extra and buy a avtex much better.
What was it that you didn't like with the TV and why was the Avtex better ?

cheers Steve
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:46

My Motorhome: Hymer B 655 SL
Personal Aire
Morph,
At present I run a 3.5 stereo lead from the headphone output of the TV to a front input jack on the vans radio, the sound is excellent and is evenly distributed throughout the van via six speakers so we never have to turn the volume up too much and annoy our neighbors on site!

Your idea of a Bluetooth transmitter sounds great (I have tried an FM transmitter but sound was rubbish).

You say that you have to recharge your Bluetooth transmitter periodically, would it be possible to run it from a USB output on the TV permanently thus keeping a constant charge on the transmitter or does it not work whilst charging?
Mel.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

"Wings, the band the Beatles could have been" - Alan Partridge.

There are eleven types of people in the world, those that understand Roman numerals........and those that don´t.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page