Parking a motorhome in Scotland - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 19:29 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Parking a motorhome in Scotland

Hello,
I have a beginner question regarding whether to rent a motorhome in Scotland or not.
I am going to Scotland with my brother and mother who is 76, planning to tour the country for 3 weeks.
We're considering to hire a motorhome (a larger one with 3 separate beds) . The idea would be to rent one because we're not entirely sure of our schedule, and in many ways, it might be easier for my mum (who does not walk well) to get in and out of a motorhome for sightseeing every day than a hotel (and she could rest at any point during the day). Also, it might end up being cheaper.
Though I am obviously very excited to enjoy the endless natural beauty of Scotland, and look forward to staying at beautiful campsites, we'd also like to enjoy the towns and pubs at night as well.
Perhaps this is a crazy or annoying question, but is it at all possible to park in the cities/towns at night with a motorhome?
Unlike many who tour in motorhomes because they want to end up somewhere quiet enjoying the nature (which I like to do too!), we don't want to end up at a campground, far from towns and people, EVERY night...
We like to meet the locals and talk over a few pints (and then obviously not drive afterward). My brother and I see enough of each other... Ending up at a campground when it's still light out at 10 pm staring at each other could get old after a week.
I realize you can't "have your cake and eat it too".
Are touring in a motorhome and enjoying the towns at night mutually exclusive? Can you park a motorhome in town? Will everyone hate us? Is it more possible with a campervan than a motorhome?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 19:48

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes rent but be prepared to supply lots of the basic equipment. This varies from rental co to rental co.
Ask what is supplied before.

Ray.
Phelps123 likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 20:01 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yes rent but be prepared to supply lots of the basic equipment. This varies from rental co to rental co.
Ask what is supplied before.

Ray.
Thanks. So you've done it in Scotland?

Thank you!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 20:11

Nope but come across a few that have in France and the states.

Ray.
Phelps123 likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 22:01

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Have a look at the searchforsites app, also campercontact, park4night. Have a look here for suggestions:
https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/#/topics/233819

Any pub that has reasonable parking will be open to a request to stay overnight if you're eating or drinking there. They may ask for a fee but are usually happy if you patronise the place.

I doubt there would be much joy in the centres of the bigger cities but, for Edinburgh say, there are numerous campsites around the outskirts with good public transport links. Google is your friend!

Jean
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 22:18

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
Also try www.pitchup.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:21

By campervan, you are probably thinking of something like a VW.
I would question the suitability of one for 2 adult males and a 76y old woman: I'm not saying that its impossible, but go and have a good look at one in a salesroom before you part with your money.
Obviously it will be easier to park one in a town.
At the vast majority of pubs there will not be access to electricity, which might make things less comfortable for you all.

A motorhome, by which I assume you imply something larger, will be that little more awkward to park and a little more conspicuous on a street, but nothing to worry about.
It will probably have more friendly toilet facilities and even a shower, which means you don't have to rely so much on campsites.

Campsites may well say "no noise after 10pm" but that doesn't mean "inside" the van.
It's just a case of maintaining a peaceful environment and something for which most campers are grateful.

You will read that parking in Scotland is easier than in England, because of local byelaws, BUT if you don't feel safe, move on.

Enjoy - Gordon
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:06

He said a larger one Gordon.

Ray.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
He said a larger one Gordon.

Ray.
YES, but he also said " Is it more possible with a campervan than a motorhome?"

HOWEVER, today is my birthday and we've been out for a (semi-liquid) lunch and I now have all the kids & g'kids here, each having brought me a different malt whisky which just HAD to be sampled.
Any responses are slightly ebdfudlde!

Gordon

Kids are making tea and g'kids are playing "bear hunt" so I have a few minutes to "waste", after "pin the beard on the grandad", "pass the parcel", etc.
raynipper and aldra like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:01

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Just seeing this Gordon. You obviously had a GREAT time!
Just hope you didn't pay for it next day!

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
H1-GBV (04-02-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page