Excess ins for campervan hire - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 14:28

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,095 Times in 951 Posts
Personal Aire
If the excess is €3000 then the excess insurance is just over 10%. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. If I hire a car I generally only take it out if its high excess otherwise I dont bother. I think I would though if it was €3000.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 23:38

My Motorhome: I drive...
Just to let you know I looked into this a fair few years ago when rented in Portugal..

I exhausted all avenues and found that under no circumstances can you insure the excess on a motor home like you can with a hire car.

Had to take the risk of 1500 euro. They took 1200 pounds from my credit card and on my return they refunded me 1260 pounds as exchange rates had change in my favor for a change.

But as i said not a chance to insure this.

LT Man
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-01-2018, 00:04 Thread Starter

Thanks LT Man. I am finding it difficult to find options. UK residents have lots of choice. Trying to decide if I should go ahead & buy it or take the chance. €3000 would be way more to cover if we ran into a problem. How did you decide to take the risk?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-01-2018, 08:36

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi denvergirl55

i would pay up as the hire company will hit you hard if you return the m/home damaged

i think there is more chance of the m/home getting a scratch or ding than with a car

and parking it in a carpark or side street puts it at a high risk of damage from others

barry
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-01-2018, 10:09

There was an article on RipOff Britain recently about hired MHs and problems with claims relating to "damage" after the MH was returned. "Damage" (not unreasonably you might think, but worth appreciating) included a small scratch on the stainless steel sink, a scratch in the plastic windows (easy to acquire whilst driving down a country lane) and other problems which someone might not take VERY CAREFUL note of in their initial collection inspection. It is worth taking photos of everything on pick-up and return!

One complaint involved a rear bumper which fell off whilst driving on Skye. The hirer believed that it was down to a poor repair from a previous accident and took loads of photos but still got clobbered for the cost of replacement parts plus, of course, labour costs.

One bit of advice was, if involved in "damage" claims then you should inquire from other sources about the costs of parts, rather than accept what the hire company tells you.

Hope you are able to sort your problems - Gordon
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-01-2018, 14:05 Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your input. I think we will go ahead & purchase the insurance for peace off mind. ??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page