2015 Autotrail Scout 6 Berth uk - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By barryd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 00:45 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
2015 Autotrail Scout 6 Berth uk

Hi Chaps,

I am just looking into buying my first motorhome. I have 4 kids and we are wanting to tour the UK and Europe. Hence through much debate and dragging my missus round dealers I am looking at a 6 berth frontier scout, more than likely a 2016 model unless a dealer wants to knock me off some serious cash for a 2015

To help fund the van I want to rent it out 5-6weeks a year.

Now I don't have the c1 licence entitlement and as such I am going the whole hog and getting C+E.

Now as you need C1 will I struggle to hire the van out? As obviously my market is limited?

I did look at the rollerteam vans but the auto trail were just soooooo much nicer but then I guess they are nearly double the price...

I initial was looking at the Apache but as I had to have c1 for the 700 I thought I mayas well get the scout. However I do need to be pretty sure I can get some rental yield.

Thanks in advance

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
Hi and welcome to the forum. There was a thread on here recently with someone wanting to rent out what will essentially be their "Pride and Joy". The general consensus was to forget it. I would have thought for such a short period the insurance alone would be crippling. There are all sorts of pitfalls and your up against companies that do this all the time as a business. If I were you I would forget the idea of renting it out and just budget for a van you can afford without renting out.

I think the Autotrails generally have a good payload but its something you seriously need to consider if there is to be six of you and all your stuff. Many vans offer poor payload (What you can legally carry weight wise) and of course you will need six belted seats.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:18 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hi thanks the reply,

It will not be my pride and joy so to speak. I am just viewing it as a means of getting some great family holidays in relative comfort.

I am not precious over possessions in that way but I obviously don't want it trashing!! And will ensure adequate measures in place to protect my investment. If it does go well I will probably change it every 3-4 years to make sure it doesn't end up totalled.

I also don't really want it stood idle when I am unable to use it. And hence it would be great if I could get some or even produce a profit renting it out.

I am self employed and as such I don't take much holiday as if I am not working I am not earning hence I intend to use the van a lot at the weekends odd school holidays and 3 weeks of the summer school hols.

I have had a quote for commercial hire insurance and it is 1500 including eu cover for the year no under 25's and I can have 4 named drivers. Which I think is pretty good considering my company Land Rover van is nearly the same price just for me and the wife!!

Do you think I will struggle getting customers, For the van? Looking around they seem to be upwards of 1300 a week for older models of the scout in high season.

Would I be best settling for a smaller van with a 3500kg payload although I'm guessing I will be struggling without towing a trailer to get all our gear in.

Thanks again

Scott

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:03

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
I cannot find the thread I was referring to but it was remarkably similar to this one, was it yours? It would be useful for you to read it.

I think you will struggle with Payload on a sub 3500KG Van for six of you but there are vans out there sub 3500KG with reasonable payload if you shop around. Our Kontiki 640 is sub 3500 with a generous payload but its getting on a bit, I think the newer ones got a lot heavier and actually had less available payload weight.

I wonder if someone else can find the other thread.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:43

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cherokee 2011
Personal Aire
Send a message via Skype™ to Robell
Hi Scott, Barry was correct about the recent thread. It is here :

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/19-...purchaser.html

Rob

Still a student of life
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 17:41

Personal Aire
Thank Rob, that was it. Hope it helps OP, or maybe not what you wanted to hear.
Robell and Robell like this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 16-06-2015, 13:22

My Motorhome: Burstner IXEO IT734
We have a AT Scout and also looked into this idea.

Only practical way to cover the insurance and marketing was to use a broker (who will then charge you something like 50%) but at the end of the day it was the hassle and having to be available to clean, prepare and handover the vehicle before and after each hire that killed it for us as we both work.

It would be an ideal vehicle if you are set on the idea but we use ours 2 weekends out of 4 all year round now anyway.

I am going into space in a vehicle made from over 3 million components, each manufactured by the lowst bidder - Neil Armstrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page