Be very careful when wildcamping in Carraroe, Co Galway. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-11-2009, 16:04 Thread Starter

Be very careful when wildcamping in Carraroe, Co Galway.

I wildcamped, as I always do, about 2 miles outside the village at a most scenic spot about 5 weeks ago. We were towing a motorbike trailer with 2 large touring bikes, parked next to the trailer.

To a casual onlooker, there must have been at least 2 men camping there, & perhaps 4 people, it would have been imposssible for anyone to know exactly.

We walked to the pub, 2miles away in the village, had 2 pints & walked back to the camper & went to bed.

Half an hour later, I heard the engine of a car & some voices outside that were way too close 4 comfort so I dressed myself as my friend slept soundly!

I suddenly heard a tearing noise, the camper was being attacked...

I woke my pal, grabbed a knife, turned on the outer light & was out the door in a flash

The cowardly bastards wisely ran

Retrospectively, I should not have parked there, it was dark & rural.
I am always so very careful & park in well lit areas in small villages.
Nor should I have dashed out there as I didn't know how many of them were actually out there. Had I driven away, I would've gotten their number plate etc. As for the knife, that was silly but we were trapped & do you simply wait 4 them to break & enter, I don't think so

We called the guards, they told us another family, with kids had been attacked there only a few weeks previously but the guards caught the attackers. 5 weeks later, I have heard nothing from the guards.

They did hundreds of euro of damage in seconds, its lucky for me in some ways that I was actually there otherwise its likely it would've been much more costly

It hasnt stopped me wildcamping but it has reminded me that 4 once, I let my guard down & chose unwisely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-11-2009, 16:14

Hi

If it's happening in Ireland there is no hope for us anywhere.

Best Regards
Broom
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-11-2009, 16:17

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-11-2009, 16:27 Thread Starter

HAD i caught them..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezport
What was the tearing noise?
they decided to start by pulling off one of the panels or fairings which was covering the underfloor storage area

I suspect it ws a randomly chosen starting point

I presume they felt nobody was inside so it was possibly just as good a place to start as any!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-11-2009, 20:34

So sorry to hear that Phil. In such a scenic and peaceful place you wouldn't expect it.
I was only thinking the other day that we hadn't been to Connemara for some time and that it was time to go back. Your warning has been noted. Thanks for posting it.
I'm sure the locals there would be very disappointed that their area is getting a bad name.

Ca
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-11-2009, 22:24

I have been back from Ireland two weeks now and wild camped ever night, however one night before it got dark a local pulled up in a car noticed that I was English and politely told me "you are not welcome in my country"

We moved camping spots that night, but it will not stop me Wild camping in Ireland.

Nick & Mimi
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 20-11-2009, 21:09

Dublin

We parked our Motorhome again'st the river wall in the centre of Dublin on a sunny summer evening and went for meal.Came back to find it had been broken into and ransacked.Local Guarda had caught the culprit befor we got back.The Guarda told us that Dublin has one of the highest crime rates in Europe.Wish I had known that before we parked there!!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 21-11-2009, 14:35

Sorry to hear that you were broken into in Dublin, though I am not terribly surprised. I think the prevailing wisdom would be to avoid parking a motorhome on the street. Better to go outside the city even into one of the surrounding counties and travel in on public transport. Hope it hasn't put you off.

Ca
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 21-11-2009, 17:29

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Phil, sorry to read your story, sadly it could happen anywhere.

The anti-English sentiment expressed by a local man in rural Ireland could also happen anywhere. I am saddened to hear that fellow country men would say and do such things but I would offer reassurance that these instances are very rare in rural areas in my experience.

Having said that, cities in Ireland can be as bad as cities anywhere, take care. Bad behavior is quite widespread in Irish towns and Cities (North and South), rural villages are much safer but try to stay where you are in sight of some houses or a pub, Alan.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 21-11-2009, 20:33

philbre
I'm sorry what happen to you in Carraroe.
I live not to far away nearer the Corrib.
Never wildcamped in Carraroe but also never heard of any trouble there.
Did you report it.

Nickmimi
Can I apologise for the man who said "you are not welcome in my country"
I would love to know what part of the country it was.
Cork/Kerry area wanted to ban Campervan last year.

We spend a month in the Cork/ Kerry region in the summer and had no problem Wildcamping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page