And another little jaunt, starting in Donegal - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2021, 22:31 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
And another little jaunt, starting in Donegal

Had a lovely weekend with family in Dunfanaghy, then moved on for a wee trip somewhere - not at all sure where! In fact, just before I left my daughter's I was on the way to Magheraroarty but by the time I got on the road I was heading in the other direction towards Glenveagh National Park. Bad move! I was met at the road end by someone official turning vehicles away as they were ram-packed! So back to a wee lay-by I'd seen to think again.

I decided on a wee place in Churchill that I've been to by car before - lovely wee ancient-style café but in fact there wasn't enough parking. Thankfully I'd added a back-up so I'm now parked opposite the local pub with beautiful views over Lough Finn. Went to a horsebox coffee stand n had great craic with 3 of the locals. The oldest, 84, had left here as soon as he could, aged about 14 after he'd managed to save £10 (the boat to Glasgow was 17/6) He finally settled near London for 40yrs n has been back here for 30. Fascinating to talk to.

Beautiful evening sunshine. There's a walk by the steam railway line - maybe a couple of hours, so I'll do that tomorrow. The road seems quite busy but with earplugs in I should be OK.

I went to the pub behind me n had a lovely chat with a gentleman who is also a MHer (but was on his bike this evening!) He went to Portugal in September 19 n got home May this year I think! It really is a lovely place to just sit n take in the view.

I noticed that three of the 4 men I spoke with had no compunction about including the odd swear word while talking to me, sometimes more than just the odd one. Am I being a prude, feeling uncomfortable with that? Actually, I don't care, I AM uncomfortable with it.
erneboy, patp, raynipper and 4 others like this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2021, 22:55 Thread Starter

Travelling off the main roads in Ireland you have to remember to slow down. If you forget the odd flock of sheep, tractor, digger, or massively undulating road across a peat bog will soon remind you!

That pic was taken at Dunfanaghy. A couple of my present location won't upload (oops, at least 1 has, to prove me a liar!) My Voda isn't working in this location so I've commissioned my 12GB 3 sim in the mifi, valid for 12mths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210712_105938_1626125636898.jpg (207.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210712_163515_1626126661953.jpg (448.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210712_163620_1626126777328.jpg (434.2 KB, 13 views)
Cherekee, Glandwr, erneboy and 6 others like this.

Jean
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-07-2021, 09:26

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,105 Times in 1,042 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Looks nice Jean.

Regarding swearing, it can come from the company you normally keep and can be hard to turn off as it's normal for them, I tend to swear when I'm angry most, but try not to swear in front of wimmin and kids, but isn't that sexist and ageist.
patp and aldra like this.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-07-2021, 10:32

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
For me it depends on the swear word Jean and the context

I don’t like the F word though, although I note many use it as an adverb or adjective to emphasise a point

Strange given it’s meaning as old English word

He’s f****** good is not the same as he’s good at f****** nowadays

Sandra
patp likes this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-07-2021, 10:46

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Using the word feck has long been very common in the south and west of Ireland. It is emphatically not the same word as fu€k and is perfectly acceptable in most informal conversations. It can be disconcerting, granted, but that's a matter of perception.
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-07-2021, 13:54 Thread Starter

It definitely wasn't feck Alan - it was the good old fu*k which I must admit I find off-putting.

Still, they were all nice fellas and none of it was meant to be objectionable, I'm certain.
erneboy, patp and aldra like this.

Jean
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-07-2021, 15:20 Thread Starter

When I came out the van this morning there was my acquaintance of last night sitting on the step of his own Exsis-i! Had a bit of a blether before heading down to the coffee stop and one of the guys from yesterday. So, coffee, scone n craic later I headed up to the library to see if I could download local Google maps for offline use - yeah, I know I should have thought about that before! I only k ew it was the library as there was a van with the word on the side - everything else is in Irish (this is part of the Gaeltacht) and I don't have any Irish at all.

However, not allowed in, and the lady didn't seem to know that the WiFi wasn't necessarily attached to the computers. However, she was really lovely, gave me a map and even offered me a tea to take with me! That's Irish hospitality!

Hadn't realised this was the same place I'd visited with my grandson for a ride on their wee steam train. I'd been advised I could walk along the track by the side of the lake. They were nice views but I couldn't enjoy them n walk at the same time as I'd to keep a close eye on my feet or risk tripping on the sleepers.

It's obviously not a busy line! (and I've no idea why the sheep have decided to lie on their sides!

Jean
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-07-2021, 15:25 Thread Starter

And I've no idea why the pic didn't post at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210713_124738_1626186246587.jpg (422.6 KB, 8 views)

Jean
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 16-07-2021, 13:38 Thread Starter

Had a couple of nights at Browne's bar at the imaginatively named Crossroads near Killygordon. Again, lovely people. There wasn't much to do but I had some interesting conversations with the locals n found a lovely walk in the woods. Their RC burial ground is kept absolutely immaculate with many graves looking as if they're just freshly dug (which they aren't.)

What an interesting drive this morning. I set satnav to a parking in Enniskillen n I think she took me as the crow flies! Narrow single-track, at one point so narrow the bushes were brushing the sides of the MH! And that's with Sygic Truck! Still, I always reckon if tractors can manage it then so can I. Definitely 'roads less travelled'! And some of the views were terrific. The only downside is not much shade here (nor at last place) but solar panels are working overtime. As is the auto-fan on the rear roof light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210714_153438_1626439066214.jpg (1.09 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210716_130848_1626439090058.jpg (950.1 KB, 7 views)
erneboy, patp, raynipper and 1 others like this.

Jean
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 17-07-2021, 12:52 Thread Starter

Had a lovely quiet night. Quite proud of myself - I got the bike out for the 1st time in probably nearly 2yrs! Discovered that although I'd brought the key for the battery (else it was going back in the garage &#x1f602 I had left the key for the lock. So 1st stop screwfix - got a combination lock so I don't have to remember to bring the key. But I DO have to remember the code 🤔 Then cycled to a laundrette (and went completely the wrong way &#x1f602 - only £5 for a small wash but won't be ready till Monday. I'll have to force myself to hang around! Then I cycled over to Castle Coole National Trust property. The bike helps you appreciate more the magnificence of the approach drive - all of it through their own land. That would have impressed even the gentry back in the day. It's very quiet here so far - wonder is everyone at the water?

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page