User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 09:05 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
A month in Ireland

I am starting to think about a trip to the island of Ireland in Sept this year as a back up in case we can't, or don't feel safe, going to Italy or the South of France. Whilst I have visited both the Republic and NI on business (and a couple of great trips to watch Ireland v Wales rugby in Dublin) we have never toured there.

It's early days yet but I thought I'd ask a few questions first as I know we have members who live there plus I'm guessing it has been a 'must do' trip for a number of folk.

First things first..

Duration

Is a month long enough to tour the whole island? My initial thoughts are to loosely travel the perimeter with incursions into the centre of the island as required

Ferries

- Is there a recommended comparison site to look at for all the routes or do I have to look at all the providers separately to get the best idea/deals?

- Is it possible to enter though one port and exit through another? Is this a costly exercise to be avoided?

Border

- Are there now any checks when passing through the border? The reason I ask is that if possible we would like to bring some of our own food and whilst travel to NI would be OK I think, I wouldn't want any issue when moving into the Republic.

Must see's

We will take in Dublin and also want to see the Titanic Exhibition in Belfast as well as the Giants Causeway up the coast. I have read that the Kerry Loop is well worth some time as well. We also fancy Waterford Crystal.

Our trip will be a mixture of travelling one and 2 night drops as well as 'drop anchor' places for slightly longer as we don't want to do a route march.

Any other 'must sees'? I haven't done much/any research yet so I'm all ears. We have pretty wide tastes so nothing off the cards as of now. We have ebikes and can walk but as Mrs GMJ has MS, these get used for shorted distances rather than full day/30 mile yomps.

Thanks in advance folks

Graham
patp likes this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 09:13

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
You'll see a fair bit in a month, but thirty years isn't long enough to see Ireland.

Border no problem.

Ferries to and from Rosslare for you I'd say.

Generally most must sees are along the West and South coasts where there is more wild camping than you could ever eat. The North East is fairly industrialised, not that there aren't lovely bits too.
patp and GMJ like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
GMJ (28-04-2021)
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 09:17 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Thanks Al

We probably won't do much wilding but are not averse to an overnight stop at a designated MH place or quiet pub with food.
patp likes this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 09:28

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
Will watch this thread with interest as (new van permitting, maybe next year) Ive been considering this as part of an extended European Tour. I reckoned you could do a month or two in Ireland then cross to France and do three months (90 days ) in Europe. I used to go to Ireland a lot in my teens, early 20s and then all the time with work (north and south) up until about twenty years ago so its been a while. Loved it.

A lot of happy memories. Can you believe I used to jog around Galway Bay?
patp likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 09:32

I suggest you start at Wicklow and then go clockers to Donegal. Don't miss Kinsale on the way.

Then you can do the bits in the North.

Mobile connectivity in Ireland is excellent so if you get an Irish data sim you'll be able to research as you go along. I have dozens of stopovers we've used in my head, but there are so many you won't be stuck. Can't speak for campsites though, and I feel sure that Ireland may be rather full of British vans this summer which may cause some problems.

If I have a single big criticism of Ireland it is that domestic waste disposal is next to impossible. You won't have that problem if you use camp sites, which I'd say will be full and stupidly costly this year.

Things are a bit costly. Take your booze with you.

I can't not say this to you Graham, but I suspect that there never has been and may never be a worse choice of year to visit Ireland. This year is most unlikely to be a normal one. Perhaps I'm wrong.
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
GMJ (28-04-2021)
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 10:35

20y ago we did a fly-drive holiday paid for by Tesco vouchers. Sadly, I don't have a record of it but we covered 1300miles in 10 days!

Flew Teesside to Dublin, picked up car, night in Dublin: quite good!

A night in Wicklow and one in Wexford or Waterford. Somewhere along the line we visited some tall, narrow towers which folk used for protection, a lot of Celtic crosses and a village which featured in a TV series (Bally?????). Very interested to see the attitude to parking: cars left across roundabouts, double yellow lines etc.

Along the coast to Cork: Some interesting sea-swimming arrangements including diving boards.

Along the coast to Kilarney for 2 nights; Kinsale, Clonakilty and a detour to view the Skellig Islands (related to a book being read at school).
Plenty of entertainment which went on to the early morning.
Trip to Dingle to see Fungi (no longer with us, I believe).
Ring of Kerry.

Across the Shannon estuary on the Tarbert ferry, Cliffs of Moher (couldn't believe that we were getting wet by spray coming that high), the Burren to Galway.

Views of Lough Corrib en route to Westport, with a stop somewhere with a coral beach and the thought of climbing Croagh Patrick.

A longish drive to Killybegs (home of the Irish deep sea fleet) so we didn't visit Achill Island.

Another longish day to stay at Bushmills Distillery hotel, with a trip to Slieve League (I wouldn't take a big van up there, but I'm a wimp), a drive around Derry/Londonderry and the Giant's Causeway.
Prior to crossing into NI I considered buying fuel; having crossed and seen the prices we turned around and refilled in Euros!

Carick-a-Rede rope bridge was in place so we stopped there on our way to the Glens of Antrim and a circumnavigation of Lough Neagh (boring) before spending our last night in Belfast (some minor eye-balling with a RoI number plate).

We visited a large circular earthworks and looked unsuccessfully for a famous stone tomb before following Strangford Lough to the Mountains of Mourne and back to Dublin for our return flight.

Somewhere along the route we visited a cave complex which involved a fair bit of walking and climbing/descending plus a trip on an underground river.

All in all, a very interesting and unforgettable experience. We too are considering taking the MH this year and travelling in a more relaxed manner.

Gordon
patp likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H1-GBV For This Useful Post:
GMJ (28-04-2021), patp (29-04-2021)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 10:37

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Good suggestions from Alan, like GB Ireland will be busy with the staycationers.
For site and parking up advice try motorhomecraic forum, plenty of helpful friendly advice there.

https://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/

Terry
patp and Pudsey_Bear like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
GMJ (28-04-2021)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 12:23

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
If you are into fishing, take your fishing rod and try Lough Derg. Trouts like Porpoises "to be sure so it is so it isnt.". Dappers or was it Duffers fortnight in May sees everyone take to the water dapping fake or sometimes real Mayfly's. I never used to catch much. Too busy chasing the local talent, getting pissed and playing guitar. Thats another thing. If you play an instrument, even the spoons, take em with you, you will be in the band in any pub.
H1-GBV, patp and GMJ like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
GMJ (28-04-2021)
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 12:51

Marble Arch Caves I should think. I didn't mention them or the Fermanagh area, The Shannon Erne waterways or anywhere much inland at all because it'll take the month to skirt the edges.
patp likes this.

GMJ (28-04-2021)
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 14:21

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
Border

- Are there now any checks when passing through the border? The reason I ask is that if possible we would like to bring some of our own food and whilst travel to NI would be OK I think, I wouldn't want any issue when moving into the Republic.

Remember the protocol Brussels as supplied both the RUC and Garda with special trained sniffer Poodles which have been trained to sniff out illegal foods these dogs were donated to the EU by a mr Macron of France.People who have admitted they may break the rules are to be subject to special attention at the ports
patp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page