Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Another little jaunt in Donegal

4K views 46 replies 6 participants last post by  patp 
#1 ·
I originally posted in Jan's thread ("I'm ready to go" - I don't know how to link to a thread, or even if it's possible on EMV)

However, I thought it best to start a new thread since she's travelling in Germany n I'm in Ireland. Given our ages we might confuse ourselves as to where we are going/have been, never mind everyone else!

After picking up my MH from its service I headed to Ramelton for overnight, then to Tramore beach (both on the other thread.)

Last night I was the only vehicle in the parking area but felt very safe. We got the teeming rain so I woke to find the area flooded (except round my wee patch so that was OK). Managed a walk over the heathland, stunning views (including the far hills disappearing into the rain!)

I'm using the Motorhome Parking Ireland app from MotorhomeCraic, as I did on my previous trip, and it's great.

#3 ·
1. The heath at Tramore beach
2. Viewpoint on way up to Ros Goill - might be possible to overnight but only if cottages behind weren't occupied. I didn't stay cos it's quite exposed)
3. Ros Goill - again, decent sized parking but exposed.

Attachments

#4 ·
I came back to the Singing Pub - apparently it's a great place (ex-covid) with live music in the evenings. They allow you to stay (€5 if you use electricity). Not great weather so didn't get another walk in.

Went in to order a takeaway to eat in the MH. The place was quite busy, people standing around to pay their bill, no masks. Not all staff wore masks either. Great fish n chips!!

Dark by 9pm! Summer is over.

Attachments

#7 ·
Double calories Jean.

He says after a battered calamari starter, moules & frites course, double ice cream desert and 50cl wine for lunch. Whew.

Ray.

Reactions: patp
#9 ·
Ha ha, now don't take this personal Jean but we can't actually remember which restaurant we went to with you as it's gotta be early last year?
I seem to remember we had a picture so was it Au Bon Accueil (truckers) or Hotel des Pins down Denneville Plage?

We actually went to the Hotel today.

Ray.

#10 ·
I think it must have been the Hotel des Pins as I don't remember there being enough space for truckers to park. Anyway, well need to do it again to make sure!

I travelled only a few minutes down the road to a spot on the banks of the tidal Drongawn Lough near Carrickart. Walked into the town, half of it on a busy road so not so pleasant. Rain n wind on the way back then I saw the horses on the strand. Seems as if, so long as the tide is out, you've a much safer n more pleasant route by the edge of the lough. There's lots of walking around. Lots of sunshine too, and plenty wind - that meant I didn't leave my newly-installed Maxxair on auto, just in case it opened with the fan n got torn off in the wind! Hadn't thought of that drawback when I was buying!

Attachments

#11 ·
I had a great couple of nights at Carrigart - one on the banks of the Bay, opposite town, and one actually in town at the jetty, so I could see my grandson ride out over the bay with his wee friends as a birthday treat. They loved it!

Then I came up to Ballyhiernon Bay - what fantastic beaches - again! Plenty walking and the day was sunny and warm tho now it's a chilly wind. Just watching the surfers catch the waves n the swifts catch the bugs.

I realised I didn't plan my wardrobe too well - obviously hadn't thought past my stay at my daughter's! However, I was able to do a wee wash in the burn this morning so I can go a bit longer. Should have packed the hat, gloves n thermals!

Pics:
1. Riding at Carrigart
2. Ballyhiernon Bay
3. Surf's up at Ballyhiernon

I'll come back to those pics - reception is diabolical when it isn't entirely missing!

#12 ·
I just spotted the racket on your door I assume it’s a fly swatter as you haven’t got a Motley 😁.
I hope one day I may come to Ireland and see all these lovely places and meet up with a few of the Irish Members and you Jean who has adopted Ireland as home.
I know if I asked Heike if she wanted to come with me she would jump at the chance, she has spent 3 years of holidays there and loves it, I may have to get a bigger van so Jürgen can come as well.

#13 ·
Yes, it's one of those battery powered swatters - and very effective, if you don't actually swat but approach gently, gently... I wish I could put in a devil emoji there!!

I left Ballyhiernon Bay this morning. I'd intended going to Fanad Head Lighthouse but really there was no point with the weather. So I've come on down to Portsalon, just waiting for the rain to clear before I go n explore. Or I'll just put on the wetgear n head anyway.

I'd set the satnav to take the more roundabout route but really I'd be just as well taking the 1st choice as the roads are so narrow n twisty that I seldom get the chance to look elsewhere. At one stage I was directed to a lesser road - so much lesser that it was badly overgrown with trees n bushes n grass up the middle of the even narrower track. I declined!

Still no joy with pics.

#14 ·
I managed to get the pics up at a café in Portsalon - at a price! €8 for cappuccino and a scone!! Mind you, the scone is delicious!

The proprietors (originally from Michigan) moved from Paris where they'd spent 8yrs organising wine tours etc for tourists - all dried up.

Apparently the trade is quite good, with the Irish staying at home for hols. I met a couple of locals at Ballyhiernon who couldn't wait for the (other) Irish to go home. Apparently I was OK, she meant the ones from Dublin!

Pics:
1. Riding at Carrigart
2. Ballyhiernon Bay
3. Surf's up at Ballyhiernon

Attachments

#16 ·
TBH Ray, I can't see if you like or not! Blue sky in the 2nd one tho! And the 3rd was sunset.

Actually, I think it's proof that fun n enjoyment doesn't depend on the weather - which is just as well! I paddled home in an Irish drizzle (not much sense in this old gal!)

Attachments

#17 ·
Are you using the phone only Jean because I was not able to like posts or see if anyone liked mine :frown2: then I changed it to desktop version and discovered I had 19 likes :grin2:

It sounds as if you are enjoying the places, not the roads so much, I hate it when the Navi sends you down these overgrown roads to scratch the van.

#18 ·
Yes, I use the phone and actually prefer it to the full version. But it does mean I haven't seen who's liked me for years!!

I used to be always apologising for not being able to thank people either using the button, tho I always did in the post.

I do enjoy the driving - and I much prefer when it is actual driving n not just sitting with the foot on the accelerator - but if I'm not getting the chance to take in the scenery then I'll just go the more direct route. The roads here are very narrow and very windy (as in winding).

#21 ·
I can show you I like you all the time now because I have my Lidl internet again meaning I can use the Kindle, I just have to hope it doesn't change too many words so's I talk more rubbish than normal again.

My weather is very good in the low 20is I hope your not having too much rain.

#22 ·
How much is too much Jan? Nothing bad enough to keep me inside - yet!

What a beautiful drive down from Portsalon to Rathmullen pier - all 19km of it! - where the wee ferry crosses to Bundoran. I did toy with the idea of crossing, just for the experience, but having seen the sharp V between the concrete pier n the ferry's access I think I'll pass on that! My tail-end has had enough bruising for this trip!

There are a couple of MHs here (and a caravan) - I guess it's not a problem when off weekend and out of season. Some here for the fishing. There's a coffee trailer, a chippy and an ice-cream parlour - what's not to like?!

I saw a trotting horse on the beach earlier. There's a playground and walks on beach and in forest so might stay a couple of days.

There's also water available (so I'll rinse the few things I have washing in the pail in the garage) and toilets where you can empty the cassette. I indicated I wasn't too keen but the fellow said they were stainless steel toilets n very easy to clean.

Attachments

#23 ·
What a lovely day. A bit of washing before a lovely walk in the woods. As the info board says it's unusual to see the sea in Ireland through trees - hadn't realised but I guess it's true.

I also saw a tartan camper! VW I think - certainly raised a smile!

Pics:
1. Some beautiful signs of autumn
2. a 3-storey house by the name of Promise Cottage (must be a story there!)
3. a pub that's invented its own clientele. And great coffee n carrot cake en route. I seem to live for my coffees! Lovin' the life! There's also a very interesting sculpture for the Flight of the Earls in 1607. And then the plantation started. UK has a lot to hang her head in shame about.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
If sun was important nobody would live in Ireland Ray.

Often when the weather was bad I used to think of the first time people came in little boats and arrived at the island of Ireland. It's supposed that early man came from Africa or around the Med.

It should have gone like this.

"Oh look there's land."

"OK lets go and have a look, see what's there."

They land an have a look round.

"Wow this place is green, but the ground is soggy and the sky is full of rain clouds. No sign of sun at all."

"Funny you should say that. I've noticed for the last few weeks as was came North that the sky has become darker and it rains most of the time."

"That'll be why it's green and soggy then. Constant rain and no sun."

"Yep, let's get the feck out of here, nobody could survive this climate."

On many of the summer days of constant rain I worked through in Ireland I used to think that the hour necessary for the above landing followed by a quick dash back southwards should have been the beginning and end of man's time in Ireland. I often asked myself why they stayed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.