Parking on NT Portstewart Strand - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 23:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Parking on NT Portstewart Strand

Apparently there's free parking for NT members (I'm 1) on the Portstewart Strand beside Harry's Shack.

My DIL thinks it's hard surface beneath the sand.

Does anyone know? Will it take 3.5T without sinking?

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 23:16 Thread Starter

My DIL has just answered the question by sending me this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-d3ca81096760e475162b6b0007173004-V_1541542565898.jpg (69.1 KB, 25 views)

Jean
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 00:34

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Hi Jean,

I have only ever parked a car on Portstewart strand and reluctantly at that. I donít have anything against Portstewart in particular, but I dislike the idea of exposing my vehicles and especially an expensive A class Hymer to more salt than I have to. The thought of getting sand into brake mechanisms or any other component with moving parts or grease fills me with apprehension. Extend that to the copious amounts of sand that will inevitably find its way into the living accommodation which will be found for ages after the event.

I do believe though that in the summer months there is a tractor or similar for retrieving those unfortunates who wander off the hard packed sand. I donít know about winter, or the costs involved.

We tend to simply cycle out or take the coastal path from the town. There is also a decent sized layby/carpark on Strand road a little past the school where we have parked and there is access nearby down onto the coastal path.

Davy
Drew likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 15:48 Thread Starter

I'll see what the weather's like Davy - if it's wet I don't fancy walking or cycling n the sand will be damp n not whipping up into the mechanisms. Says she hopefully!

Jean
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 13:52

I also meant to say, and I apologise if it is Ďsucking eggsí, donít operate your windscreen wipers after being on the beach until you have had an opportunity to rinse any sand of the windscreen in order to avoid scratching the glass.

When I park up, wether at home or traveling, for more than a day I place corks, usually champagne as they are a better shape and show off my wealth more tastefully on the Hymer, under the wiper arms to lift them off the glass to reduce the accumulation of sand and grit.

Davy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 16:13

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
When I park up, wether at home or traveling, for more than a day I place corks, usually champagne as they are a better shape and show off my wealth more tastefully on the Hymer, under the wiper arms to lift them off the glass to reduce the accumulation of sand and grit.

Davy
Ah, so that is what they are for!!

Have seen the corks many times in Italy, thought it was to keep the rubber from sticking to the glass in the sun.
TeamRienza likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 16:43

Both reasons Kabundi, and the third being to stop them freezing to the screen in winter.

Davy
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRienza For This Useful Post:
kabundi (08-11-2018)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 17:31 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
I also meant to say, and I apologise if it is ‘sucking eggs’, don’t operate your windscreen wipers after being on the beach until you have had an opportunity to rinse any sand of the windscreen in order to avoid scratching the glass.

Davy
Not sucking eggs Davy - thanks for that. It was aware of the use for heat and cold but not for sand.

Jean
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-11-2018, 13:11 Thread Starter

Well Davy, I DID park on the Strand beach - the beach was one of the venues for Danny Boyle's project of Pages on the Sand so there were quite a lot of cars about.

What a moving project it was. I didn't actually see the major portrait (I think there was 1 at every venue, of a local person lost in the war) but the smaller, individual 'grave plots' gave some indication of the scale of the loss. When the bugler played the last post as the sun was going down.....

I hope we never forget.

Anyway - the champagne corks didn't work - do you use Jeraboams or whatever the massive ones are called?! But there was no dry sand flying about so hopefully OK. I realised I park in Spain on the sand so stopped worrying about it!

Fish n chips at Harry's Shack - yummy!! Chips done in beef dripping.... Yes, I know, but they were the best in years.

And it was lovely to meet you in person at the MCS meet at the weekend - as I said, I'd you down in my head as short, plump and lovely. You are only the 3rd!!

Jean
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-11-2018, 22:05

I am pleased it worked out for you, and I envy you the chips fried in dripping. Havenít had them for a million years. The corks we use are Asti Martini really, but being as what we are snobby (allegedly), Hymer owners I never let on as we say here in Belfast.

It was nice to meet you too, although we didnít get to chat more as we had to go on Sunday morning. Perhaps if you are at the Whitehead meet we can talk more. We have ventured into the Northern coast area of Spain over the last two years and south to Leon, Burgos, pontaferrada and out to Santiago. I would love to hear more about your travels into Spain.

I canít say I had a particular mental picture of you, but I certainly have admired how you have gone from strength to strength with your travels since we first corresponded about spare wheel carriers for your Transit some years back.

Hope our paths cross again.

Davy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page