Ireland, not what I thought - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 22-08-2014, 06:34 Thread Starter

We have returned and after a couple of days to settle down these are my thoughts.
The Wild Atlantic Way is a joke, not my words but from a lovely Irish man we met in Dingle. After using it I think I would agree. But, each to there own. We really did enjoy Ireland and on reflection, expected things to be as they were, beautiful coasts, mountains and countryside. And of corse the fantastic Irish people. But.... From Dingle up Ireland became like a fantastic painting, stunning to look at but impossible to use. the frustration of driving hour after hour trying to find somewhere to stop and immerse yourself in the beauty. I became angry every time I passed an empty lay bye, picnic area and car park 95% of them completely empty and all of them with hight restriction barriers. I understand the reason for this, but surely there is another solution,
None of this should deter anyone from going, overall we had an incredible time. I think it was just my perception of how the North would be, in my mind it was great scenery, fantastic food and people and the the thought of a lovely country pub with a roaring Peet fire in the corner and a old chap playing the fiddle whilst quaffing pints of Porter. If ever it was like that, I couldn't find it this time.
Highlights of our trip must be The Dingle Peninsula and Inch beach. I do not have the words to describe this area
, suffice to say National Geographic quoted it as one of the most beautifully places in the world. I could only agree.
Spent a brill week in Kilkenny with my 92 year old mother in law visiting friends from our days as publicans and behaved like 20 year olds at every Irish night in every pub in Kilkenny, what a town.
We are already planning next years trip so would like to thank everyone for ther hints, tips and information, it should make next year even better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page