Advice re MPPT please (EZA) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-08-2021, 11:15 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Advice re MPPT please (EZA)

I discovered some of the kit on my MH was not as originally agreed (see Advice re B2B please https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/sh...d.php?t=242367).

I have a Hymer with a Schaudt EBL 30 with a Schaudt LR1218 fitted (which isn't MPPT) and 2 AGM 90Ah batteries.

They have suggested an EZA MPPT (tho they don't give model number) as that's what they have in stock. They also said they fit directly to the batteries, bypassing the EBL, so that if one or other fails they know the other is not involved or subsequently damaged. If this is a good route to go, why is there so much pain on the Internet about Schaudt EBLs being intolerant of non-Schaudt controllers?

The only reading I have of state of batteries is the one that also gives level of water tanks so nothing detailed.

I can find no reviews for EZA and the only MPPT I can find is this one - https://www.camping-car-plus.com/hig...130w-9057.html

A problem l see with this is that it's max is a 130W panel which is what I have ATM so there's no future-proofing in there. I don't k ow that I would, but I might. Also, it seems it's gel or AGM which ties me to that in the future. - IF that's the controller they have.

And the 10a for the EZA? The Schaudt MPP LRM 1218 12V (which would be the Schaudt direct MPPT replacement for the LR 1218 I have already) -

20 A main battery
2.5 A starter battery

12 VDC System voltage
32 VOC Solar panel voltage

Would you accept the EZA?

As always, I much appreciate your help.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-08-2021, 13:05

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Bypassing the EB for that reason seems rather stupid to me Jean. I think that if the EB is bypassed it doesn't know the real state of charge of the batteries, which I believe is arrived at by monitoring current in and out as it passes through the EBL. If I'm right, and I base my comments on having had a b2b which didn't go through my EBL, then the only time you will get an accurate reading is when the EBL judges the batteries to be100% charged by the battery voltage reached which makes the EBL show 100%.

Is the one they're offering capable of going through the EBL? If not I would suspect that might be the reason for suggesting giving it a miss.

In any case I believe that mppt is a deal more effective than older technologies. You paid for mppt.

Put everything through the EBL if you can. It will give accurate readings as opposed to unreliable nonsense.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-08-2021, 13:09 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thanks for that Alan.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page