Hymer Starline 360 and solar panels - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By bc109
  • 1 Post By bc109

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2021, 12:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline 640
Hymer Starline 360 and solar panels

Happy New Year all.

I am new here and new to camper vans.

I have a question maybe a stupid one? I have three solar panels on the top of the camper as far as I can see they seem to be connected up to the charging system ok. However when I look at the current gauge it is always at zero except when the living area appliances are in use. In which case it registers current draw. When mains charging, it registers a plus current ok.

Apart from the current gauge are there other ways to see if the panels are charging the living area batteries?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2021, 15:09

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
You may have a panel......Hymer simply calls it a "panel" perhaps situated above the accommodation door with two meters side by side.
Left hand group, ALARM under the meter, right-hand side toggle switch shows "fullness" of grey water tank or fresh water tank.
Left-hand of this group shows tiny pics of vehicle with oblong in motor section and another in accommodation section. These are the "batteries".
Switch the left-hand toggle to read the voltage of each battery. If your system is working, each reading should be between 13.4 and 14 Volts.
Now that your anxiety is over........ to make absolutely sure, the purchase of a electricity multimeter and a bit of practice with it will pay dividends in the future
and you can check voltages across the battery terminals themselves and chase other mysterious electrical happenings !

Bill
Dean Stirling likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2021, 15:57 Thread Starter

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have seen the panel you refer to in the Hymer manual but I think my one might be an earlier/different model? See below/attached.

I have checked both living area batteries with my multimeter and they are both showing 12.8 v after being driven about 100 kms or so very early yesterday morning. (camper's been static now over 24hrs)

However when the batteries are partially discharged I still cannot see the gauge on the right in the green zone from solar panel charging when the living area batteries are turned off.

Deano
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_164625.jpg (216.4 KB, 5 views)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2021, 08:21

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
With everything switched off, and some sun outside ( ! ) you might find about 14 volts across the batteries from the solar panels.
With an ac hookup you might find a hint of green on the current meter if the batteries need charging.
Otherwise.....start looking for the solar panel way in to the main control gubbins and check for voltage coming in from the panels.
If there are no inline fuses from the panels, might be a good idea to install some.

I suggested some suitable ones in an earlier post. Disconnected panels will not come to any harm.
Anyway, if you are on lockdown in Bulgaria, what a good time to be investigating !
Bill
Dean Stirling likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2021, 11:05 Thread Starter

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply, sounds good, I shall try that.

Ill just wait for the snow to melt on the roof and the sun to come out though

Best Deano.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page