Solar panel - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 21:36 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Sweet Maxi
Solar panel

Hi, having just purchased a Chausson Sweet Maxi with a solar panel, I wondered if this does any more than just charge the batteries that operate things in the home part? I am not electrically minded ha ha but in my old camper van there was an inverter that sent 220volts availability to several sockets and a super frig/freezer from two large GEL batteries stored under the inverter which was on top of the 300amp x2 GEL batts via two large 30amp solar panels on the roof. Quotes said the inverter was I believe 3000 watts of pure sinewave. Using the van for two years and driving it from Turkey to Portugal and back into Spain in 2016 I was impressed to say the least. A motorhome dealer in Almeria, Spain said they never have fitted even large batteries like those. Hence the question at the beginning of my story and I so far do not see an inverter on board the Chausson and I don't know why this model is called a SWEET or a SUITE ha ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 22:29

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Generally they just top up the batteries but some controllers you can run 12v appliances off them. You can also fit a battery master so it can switch to charge the engine battery I gather.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 16:27

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
The figures quoted for batteries and solar panels seem VERY high to me!!

Never heard of a three hundred amp hour leisure battery. Sounds more like a forklift truck battery (think of the weight!!!)

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 22:39 Thread Starter

Hi again, Correction to my Solar panels at the start of the topic. I put large solar panels on the roof were 30amps each but the correct description is large solar (thin) panel 300 watt class 1 polycrystalline x2. it was the MPPT digital solar panel charge controller that was 30 amps.
How long can a van last camping without say mains electric connected from a camp site? Wild camping I guess or stop over night spots spring to mind. As my old set up would last days running a 220v frig/freezer and 220v charging outputs for various other things. I have to get used to something different now I guess
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 00:29

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
I've lasted 5 months with 140 watts of solar panel and 90 a/HR battery. For 3 of those months we just had a weekly 40 km drive for shopping. It was in Portugal so had plenty of sun but also in the winter so quite a lot of overcast as well. All lights are led's, no TV, but did run heating on colder , longer nights.
Being smaller battery bank relative to solar panel capacity the battery was able to be fully charged most days.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacerunner For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 07:27
p-c

Hi and welcome to the site.

Yes from what you are saying you will have to get used to a different set up.

Most items can be charged on lower voltages, it may require new leads etc. many of us have 12v televisions. I assume your fridge is gas and also your heating. I think thought on how you will survive on gas will be as or more important.

Kind regards

p-c
The Following User Says Thank You to p-c For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 15:29 Thread Starter

Solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-c View Post
Hi and welcome to the site.

Yes from what you are saying you will have to get used to a different set up.

Most items can be charged on lower voltages, it may require new leads etc. many of us have 12v televisions. I assume your fridge is gas and also your heating. I think thought on how you will survive on gas will be as or more important.

Kind regards

p-c
3-way frig and the heating is from the diesel fuel tank. Another correction to the now sold old camper, it had two 105amp storage batteries, located beneath the inverter. Latest van has a 220v Tv, so only good on a campsite. I guess there are options to overcome this, including an inverter like I had in my old van, ha ha.

Born to travel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page