Thule awning service/repair - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 08:04 Thread Starter

Thule awning service/repair

Our thule awning doesn't always wind in properly and we don't use it as much as we would like, just in case we can't wind it back in.
The gearbox judders and when we wind it in, it seems to be about 3 inches too low and needs a push to help it get it back in to its' housing.
Does anyone know if there are any service people near South Yorkshire, who could take a look at it?
Our other option is to buy a new gearbox and fit it ourselves, but we are not sure if this will actually cure the problem of it not going smoothly in to its' housing.
Has any one had any experience of this?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 09:43

My Motorhome: Oh no - a caravan!!
Sue - have a look at these Fiamma videos, there's one that shows how to level up the arms. http://www.fiamma.com/EN/service/vid...o_ID=64&page=1
As for the gearbox, they have plastic cogs which are prone to stripping. Easy to replace depending on how the Fiamma is located on the roof/side of the MH and you can get access to the gearbox.

Paul - was a 2008 Swift Kontiki 669 but now a 2016 caravan.
The Following User Says Thank You to deefordog For This Useful Post:
Handysue (23-05-2016)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 14:47

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefordog View Post
Sue - have a look at these Fiamma videos, there's one that shows how to level up the arms. http://www.fiamma.com/EN/service/vid...o_ID=64&page=1
As for the gearbox, they have plastic cogs which are prone to stripping. Easy to replace depending on how the Fiamma is located on the roof/side of the MH and you can get access to the gearbox.
It's a a Thule awning, similar to an Omnistor so Fiamma stuff could be different.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacerunner For This Useful Post:
Handysue (23-05-2016)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 17:11

My Motorhome: Euramobil Activa 820HS
Personal Aire
If you go on the Thule Omnistor website, you can bring up your nearest Thule supplier and repair agent.
If you do decide to use this facility, choose one who deals with motorhomes because there maybe the likes of motor factors/car part shops listed who sell Thule Roof bars/boxes and wouldn't probably gave a clue.

Alternatively, ring John at Rose Awnings near Poole, Dorset. He attends most of the major shows and has been known to take a look at an awning or canopy box mechanism at the show - that is if you was willing to visit the show in your motorhome.

I think it's a common fault whereby one side may wind in quicker than the other which results in the canopy being fully wound in but the box not closing fully at one end.

Have you tried winding out fully and inspecting the canopy box mechanisms at both ends of the canopy box?
Then wind in slowly.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAVLAD For This Useful Post:
Handysue (23-05-2016)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 18:28

My Motorhome: Hymer B644GL
I'd recommend contacting hill view awnings they are really nice, twice i have arranged for them to see me at rallies due to issues with my omnistor awning, both times my expectation was to pay them to give it a service and sort things out, both times they sorted it pretty quickly and didn't want to charge. once after first discussing the issue it was expected that parts would be replaced, when they inspected it they stated the parts weren't needed and sorted the issue through adjustment, again without taking payment.

Hope this helps

Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to lgbzone For This Useful Post:
Handysue (23-05-2016)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 20:16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefordog View Post
Thank you for the link to the video, I don't think we have that mechanism on our awning, as Spacerunner says it is a thule omnistor. I wish it was a fiamma, that looks really easy to do.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 20:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVLAD View Post
If you go on the Thule Omnistor website, you can bring up your nearest Thule supplier and repair agent.
If you do decide to use this facility, choose one who deals with motorhomes because there maybe the likes of motor factors/car part shops listed who sell Thule Roof bars/boxes and wouldn't probably gave a clue.

Alternatively, ring John at Rose Awnings near Poole, Dorset. He attends most of the major shows and has been known to take a look at an awning or canopy box mechanism at the show - that is if you was willing to visit the show in your motorhome.

I think it's a common fault whereby one side may wind in quicker than the other which results in the canopy being fully wound in but the box not closing fully at one end.

Have you tried winding out fully and inspecting the canopy box mechanisms at both ends of the canopy box?
Then wind in slowly.
Thank you, our nearest dealer on the Thule website is Marquis, we have spoken to them on a previous occasion and they charge 70 per hour, I suppose if we buy the gearbox they could fit it, but we don't fancy them spending an hour on it just to identify the problem. The other option is Edge Hill in Mansfield, we shall give them a ring.
We have tried winding it out fully, but that hasn't cured the problem, we will inspect the canopy box mechanisms this coming weekend, but both sides are equally low.
Thank you for the recommendation of Rose awnings, they sound very helpful.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 20:30 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbzone View Post
I'd recommend contacting hill view awnings they are really nice, twice i have arranged for them to see me at rallies due to issues with my omnistor awning, both times my expectation was to pay them to give it a service and sort things out, both times they sorted it pretty quickly and didn't want to charge. once after first discussing the issue it was expected that parts would be replaced, when they inspected it they stated the parts weren't needed and sorted the issue through adjustment, again without taking payment.

Hope this helps

Lee
Thank you, they sound really helpful, but it's another one on the south coast. If we don't get it sorted, I see they are at the Lincoln show, that isn't too far for us to travel.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 20:58

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Take a look at this post:

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/90-...tml#post637636

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
Handysue (23-05-2016)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 21:09 Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to find this thread. It sounds hopeful, we shall try the penny trick, I didn't go back far enough when I searched the forum archives

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page