Kampa Motor Rally Air owners? Could you please advise? - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 25-03-2016, 20:34 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Sal

I put my Air 36L up twice and experienced the same issue. The key was to ensure that the uprights were snug against the van and then have the webbing extended to its fullest and then I repositioned and re-pegged the awning at that point. It meant moving the whole awning closer to the MH once the uprights were in place

I'm not sure if that explains it or indeed makes sense

As I say I only kept it for a short time as I couldn't manage it on my own without much sweating and swearing; and also the middle air pole was tight over the had door opening so got hit every time the hab door opened. Inevitably it would have failed at some stage...so it had to go back.

I have the drive off version now which is much much easier to put up

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
MyGalSal (25-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 25-03-2016, 22:39

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540
Thanks Graham, your answer does make sense and we tried and tried re pegging, shifting, partly deflating then re-inflating, all to no avail. If we stretch that webbing strap out it is too long. There is an eyelet in it which shortens it and although we couldn't see the point in that we tried pegging through to see how that worked, but it didn't. Something we have noticed about the 2016 model is that the doors now zip out completely (not the front, they are still rollback only). And, the amount of material, canvas or whatever they call it, between the door zip and the bumper pad is minimal, only a couple of inches. I have to say we feel like returning it. We bought it at the SECC show in Glasgow last month. Although we talked then extensively to the Kampa man he said they don't sell awnings and we had to buy it through a dealer - who of course was on the Kampa stand! We are in Spain for a couple of weeks, back in UK next week. We will be calling the dealer then and/or Kampa. I see on Kampa's site that they refer you to the dealer for after sales and warranty issues. As you say it is heavy to handle and my husband was shattered when he finished putting it up. It was OK apart from the several inches gaps, which are not acceptable. As I said, we put the 2014 model up no problem, fairly snug to van. We think perhaps there is something not quite right with this one. To start with one of the roof horizontal air poles was ripped and therefore useless. One of the main side air poles seems to have a bend/kink in it - no matter which way we blow it up. We bought an electric pump at the same show, one that Kampa recommends and advertises and that doesn't work either. It tried for a brief time then popped its clogs and blew a fuse. So that's definitely going back - as might the awning.
You say your current model works so much better. Which model is that? Sounds a possible. We have had a drive-away awning before, a Ventura, but you had to throw the thing over the roof and we have so many bits on the roof it was hopeless so we sold it. Superb awning though.

Sal

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 26-03-2016, 10:37 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
I feel for you

I was milliseconds away from cutting that bloomin' webbing myself as I was struggling with it. Also when I put the side poles up I bent one lot; complained; and got a second lot for free from Kampa.

I only put the thing up twice but threading it onto the canopy rail was knackering despite using silicone spray. I had to pop the canopy out of its rail to get the thing threaded in the end however the side strain on the canopy worried me plus it wouldn't rehouse without a prod from the wind out pole.

I'm glad I didn't cut the webbing as they took it back. We stayed with Kampa and bought their Travel Pod Midi Air Tall which is a drive away model. Still an air model which threads onto your canopy via some kadar strip and figure of 8's.

This I can put up in less than 15 mins on a good day ; all on my own. The longest part is deciding on how many pegs you want to put in and doing the pegging Taking down is just as quick if not quicker.

Great piece of kit and we are happy with it. Useful in the UK spring through to autumn for sitting in (and winter for storing stuff - wellies etc). We didn't take it to warmer climes in the summer so only used our canopy and Lillypad screens there (Italian Lakes). Not too heavy nor too large to pack...

2 tips if you go the Kampa driveway option route...

1) Buy a bag of elastic bands for all the awning straps. There are loads of them. I wind each up as I pack up and pop a 'lacky band on each so it stops the spaghetti when I next use the awning

1) I bought an oversize bag from Kampa for £20 delivered. In my experience trying to get the thing back into the bag they provide ...including the pump and other bits, is nigh on impossible. I keep the awning in the oversize bag which has adjustable straps to make it smaller/tighter; and the pump et al in the original bag the thing came with.

When I contacted Kampa to take it back they refused but I just took it to the caravan dealer shop where we got it and complained and they did the biz. My main complaint was the hitting of the central spar with the hab door rather than its other issues but either way it worked.

NB The drive away model was much cheaper too so we got a cheeky little refund as well

Graham

MyGalSal (26-03-2016)

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 26-03-2016, 12:25

My Motorhome: hobby 700
dill the side that is covered at the end that way you can slide it in from ether end ,be prepared for condensation, i have the kamper one very good
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 26-03-2016, 15:29

That would have been a real pain the door continually scraping the roof. Ours is well clear. Perhaps the rollout is sited higher than yours.

I have had a look at the brochure which I got at the show. The drive away looks good. I imagine those sides would fit snugly.

Ah well, we can ponder on our drive home. Problem is we live in Ayr and the caravan dealer is in Elgin which is about 225 miles north of Ayr! I would like to go in and ask him to put it up and if he can successfully, then great and if not maybe an exchange for a drive away �� just not sure if that is practical from mileage point and not sure when we could manage it. I am waiting, and have been for months already, for surgery for hip replacement which I am sure will not be before May at the earliest, the waiting lists are horrendous, you can forget the so-called guaranteed wait times. Anyway, food for thought.

Sal

I'm on the road again

Last edited by MyGalSal; 26-03-2016 at 15:33.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 26-03-2016, 18:53 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Sal

I cant get the sides snug so don't think that is a go-er. I imagine with some thought they can get quite tight but the unit itself is self contained so OK when you are in side

It can get a bit 'flappy' in wind if not battened down properly

Graham

MyGalSal (26-03-2016)
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 26-03-2016, 19:55

Hmmm I am thinking that perhaps the best way forward is to put a caravan awning rail on, just under the rollout. I have seen a few vans with that modification. Certainly makes a difference to fit.

Lots of thoughts to keep us occupied on long drive to Ayr from Benicassim!

Sal
GMJ and GMJ like this.

I'm on the road again

post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 15:47

My Motorhome: hobby 700
Ihave thhe390 air a lot of good tips, to the people who can not wind the awning in on there own ,you can still put it up and wind it in when you have finished it, by asking some one to help you for a few min kenny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page