Motorhome Facts Forum banner

cycle rack legislation (europe)

14K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  HermanHymer 
#1 ·
I hear that there appears to be trouble with overhanging cycle racks in some euro countries. I was under the impression that what is legal in your home (e.u country) is allowed whilst travelling in the others. Someone who was fined in Spain for towing a car by rope ( instead of bar) was fined, but on returning home, appealed and had his fine refunded. Anyone know please? Also when do you need a warning plate and best place to buy. Thanks, Bar (first post)

#2 ·
Hi Bar,

Firstly welcome to the site, I am sure you will enjoy it and learn from it and hopefully contribute to it.

I would not try to adopt that dictum of what is legal in one's own country is legal in Europe, there are lots of things that aren't.

Cycle racks on the rear of a 'van must have the red and white diagonal striped with reflectors in some countries - my philosophy is use it in all and then one is right.

In Spain and I think spreading throughout Europe if you get out of your 'van on main roads you must wear a reflective jacket - carry them.

There is a very good search facility in the forums, you will often find that most things have been discussed before and got a variance of views.

BillD

#3 ·
bar said:
I hear that there appears to be trouble with overhanging cycle racks in some euro countries. I was under the impression that what is legal in your home (e.u country) is allowed whilst travelling in the others. Someone who was fined in Spain for towing a car by rope ( instead of bar) was fined, but on returning home, appealed and had his fine refunded. Anyone know please? Also when do you need a warning plate and best place to buy. Thanks, Bar (first post)
There was a law passed in Spain which at first stated no overhangs off the back of a vehicle...............period.
That was then ammended to allow motorhomes to carry a bike rack fitted to the rear, PROVIDING they fit a red and white striped board with reflectors to the back. These can be bought from Halfords or any caravan accersory shop and are not expensive. To be strictly correct, you're supposed to buy a rigid board, i.e aluminium or steel, rathet than the expanded foam/plastic ones which are usually available over here, but to be honest, Officer Gotcha would have to be having a real bummer of a day before you got pulled on that one. These boards are also a legal requirement in France
As far as towing is concered, it is now illegal in Spain to tow a car with anything other than a purpose built tow truck but motorhomes CAN tow a car PROVIDING it is on a trailer. I think France is going the same (if it has not done so already) and it is my opinion that this country wont be far behind.

#5 ·
bike racks

In Spain the rule is that the bike rack cannot be more than 10% of the vehicle length

In Portugal it is 45cm and bikes must be within the width of the vehicle

Spain & Italy you have to fit a red & whiet stripped board with reflectors (visit most caravan dealers or www.riverswayleisure.co.uk)

In some countries you have to drive on dipped ha=eadlights all the time (not just swedwn)

Holland is brining in a max blancket speed on all roads of 90kmph (around 55mph)

First aid kits, eflective jackets, spare bulbs, 1or2 warning triangles (depending on vehicle size and/or country, snow chains and working heater in winter - are all requirements in some countries and reccomended in others

So much depends on where and when you are going to travel

So far we have travelled through countries requiring all the above, also tow rope.

You can fit your van out to go every where or just put in those items you require for say France

#6 ·
I read this on another website, having read the '10% of the length' in Spain comment above:-

The load may not protrude more than 10% of the length of the vehicle (15% if the load is rigid) and a plaque warning of the protruding load must be displayed at the furthest point. When the load protrudes along the entire width of the vehicle, two warning plaques, placed at each end, are required. The load will also be marked by a red light when travelling in the dark or conditions of poor visibility.

this was on:-

http://www.tourspain.co.uk/GettingAround/motoring.htm

Can anyone clarify whether a rigidly mounted bike carrier i.e. permanently fixed counts as a rigid load. I'm not going to Spain in the near future but I would like to be clear in case I do, as would others I'm sure. Anyone any experience of this? And again can anyone throw anymore light on the Portugal rule; does this apply to all carriers regardless or just non-permanent ones.

#7 ·
Re: bike racks

PamNPete said:
Holland is brining in a max blancket speed on all roads of 90kmph (around 55mph)
No!

The blanket speed limits in Holland are 50 km/h in town, 80 km/h out of town and 120 km/h on motorways.

Right after this message I will drive home here in Holland. I will drive at exactly 120 km/h along 2 speed cams and nothing will happen. :wink:

Best Regards,
Gerhard

#9 ·
PamNPete said:
When we were there (Holland) this year It was on the Nederlands TV that a blanket speed limitof 90KMph was to be introduged on JAN FIRST 2006
Hi,

this was a demand from one of the more obscure political parties we have here. But there are absolutely no plans of decreasing the existing blanket speed limit of 120 km/h. However, to fulfill the new EU directives against fine dust, local speed limits (close to inhabited areas) are currently being enforced.

Best Regards from the Netherlands,
Gerhard

#10 ·
HI all, with regards to towing a car on an 'A' frame in Spain and France, it is LEGAL to do this as long as the legislation in your Home country allows this.
I have just come back from Spain and France and have spoken to many camper owners who have towed on an A frame without any problems....I actually tow my car on a trailer, so no probs anyway. There have been court cases in Spain with regard to this matter and because in the UK it is Legal to tow on a A frame the sentences have been quashed (overturned) on appeal.

Camper owners living in Spain/France/Germany are very envious of us Brits because we can legally tow with an A frame.........until we harmonise our road traffic regs with Europe!!!

#18 ·
HI all, with regards to towing a car on an 'A' frame in Spain and France, it is LEGAL to do this as long as the legislation in your Home country allows this.
I have just come back from Spain and France and have spoken to many camper owners who have towed on an A frame without any problems....I actually tow my car on a trailer, so no probs anyway. There have been court cases in Spain with regard to this matter and because in the UK it is Legal to tow on a A frame the sentences have been quashed (overturned) on appeal.

Camper owners living in Spain/France/Germany are very envious of us Brits because we can legally tow with an A frame.........until we harmonise our road traffic regs with Europe!!!
That is the point. It is not legal in the UK to tow using an A Frame. The fact is it is not ILLEGAL as no statute has been passed on the subject.

#13 ·
My campervan has (as is the norm) wing mirrors and a fixed rear step.

When dealing with the width, do I include mirrors and when dealing with the length do I include the FIXED step.

If I include the step in the length then the bike rack only extends a small distance beyond the back of the van.

#14 ·
What detail has the reflective sign in Portugal. France is the same as England but I was told today that Spain and Italy have their own idea as to the width of the red stripes. Spain the red stripes have to be wider and if it doesn't conform the fine is 60 euros. As yet I haven't found the criteria with regard to Italy.

#29 ·
I believe that in the UK the board should strictly be triangular rather than square.:smile2:

Dick

#15 ·
I was under the impression that Spain would accept either the plastic board with four corner reflectors whereas Italy insisted on the aluminium one which is reflective overall (i.e. not just corner reflectors).

the stripes MUST point DOWN to the offside while driving i.e. point DOWN to the LEFT in countries where dirving on the right is required......

I am not aware of any other differences between Spain and Italy (interestingly both boards are made by Fiamma - an Italian company.....)

Towing ANY vehicle other than on a trailer is illegal under Spanish law and I believe Portugese too........ There have been numerous reports from both countries where UK registered MH have been stopped and forced to separate if towing using an "A" frame.

BUT I would be wary of resurrecting a 10 year old thread and attributing any accuracy to the posts - many things have changed since 2005........ so don't rely on information posted then - it may have been surpassed.....

Dave

#16 ·
Bloody hell, who's been digging into the depths............an 11 year old thread :surprise:

Why hasn't this old lot seen the bonfire

tony

#17 ·
I have lots of VHS tapes which I downloaded the VHs from my old Sharp Camcorder. I have recently transferred these onto DVD+R by connecting VHS recorder to DVD recorder played via a Sharp TV. However I find that the DVD;s will not play on my laptop (if I put a purchased DVD it plays via MKT recording. What format would my recorded DVD;s have adopted in the copying from a VHS tape?
I thought at first it was because I had not finalized the dvd but it makes no difference. Some will pLay on the dvd recorder but others will not. We used filmon on the laptop whilst away and viewed our drama series and any other good program that was on. Apart from being 1 hour later than at home it was good.
I have tried to put up a 'new post' for the above but cannot find it, please advise if you can. Thanks

#22 ·
I do like old stuff--- Like old slippers, may have a few holes but something comforting. I have towed a Smart for 10 years all over France and the UK. I now tow a Suzuki Celerio ( good name I know ). That's only got 2 pedals like the Smart. I love it when the experts come out and wind everyone up. I'm so pleased we worry about the important thinga in life, Right where are those slippers.

#28 ·
BUT (don't you just LOVE that as a start....) Napoleonic Law gives you the right to do something, unlike UK which tells you what NOT to do.... so in many of the EC countries their interpretation is based on what they have been told they CAN do - hence in countries such as France and Spain if you come up against a Police officer that was assembled on P.O.E.T.S. day, you may well find he (or she0 was asleep during that bit and they may take exception to the fact that you look happy..... :surprise:

This is particularly apt in Spain, 'cos they are unhappy if ANYONE looks happy and if that person happens to have a GB sticker then that gives them hours of fun as they try to find a way to boost the coffee funds, or clear the National debt depending on their mood.... :nerd:

There have been reports that users of A frames have had no problems at all in Spain and Portugal...... sadly there have also been the opposite and there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.... >:)

I am neither pro or anti such devices, why would I be as I don't use one or wish to do so as we would not take a small car with us (bikes suffice for us) and with our French registration we are happy being in the centre of towns and cities creating chaos..... :wink2:

But of course, each to their own..... :grin2:

The key thing is to have fun and do whatever you want in the safe knowledge that someone somewhere won't like it...... 0:)

Dave

PS in case the excess of emoticons does not give a big enough clue - I am being a tad sarcastic and trying to inject some humour, but being an ex-teacher, my sense of humour was surgically removed during teacher training......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.