cycle rack legislation (europe) - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 00:24

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder View Post
That is the point. It is not legal in the UK to tow using an A Frame. The fact is it is not ILLEGAL as no statute has been passed on the subject.
Have you read the post date of the post you just quoted.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 06:41

I do like old stuff--- Like old slippers, may have a few holes but something comforting. I have towed a Smart for 10 years all over France and the UK. I now tow a Suzuki Celerio ( good name I know ). That's only got 2 pedals like the Smart. I love it when the experts come out and wind everyone up. I'm so pleased we worry about the important thinga in life, Right where are those slippers.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 06:57

Oops how did we stray from bike racks to a-frames ? anyway good morning to everyone it will soon be deckchairs out. YES

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:14

My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 725SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Have you read the post date of the post you just quoted.
Yes Barry but legislation hasn't changed.

John
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 14:51

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder View Post
Yes Barry but legislation hasn't changed.

John
It doesn't need a change to legislation.
All it needs is for a test case to be brought, under existing Road Traffic Act regulations.

But the A-framers claiming it's legal still haven't yet been queuing at their local Police station asking a copper to charge them for A-frame use, so the CPS can bring a prosecution at magistrates court, which can then be appealed to Crown Court which would finally establish legal precedent in England and Wales.

Maybe members could lobby the CC or the CCC to get their King/Lord/Godhead or whatever he's called nowadays, to drive past a copshop with a-frame, waving, and asking to be arrested, to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by TheNomad; 04-02-2016 at 14:54.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 15:40

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
The point is it doesn't need a test case as it's legal until or unless someone says it isn't. And given that the DfT has said that in their opinion it's legal, I don't lose any sleep over it.

Peter
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 16:30

Peribro (Peter] please stop being so sensible and right. It spoils it a bit. Ok I know the Department of Transport have no problems with a frames, but what do they know ? Its down to our members to make the rules . Government interference again.
peribro and peribro like this.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 16:51

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
BUT (don't you just LOVE that as a start....) Napoleonic Law gives you the right to do something, unlike UK which tells you what NOT to do.... so in many of the EC countries their interpretation is based on what they have been told they CAN do - hence in countries such as France and Spain if you come up against a Police officer that was assembled on P.O.E.T.S. day, you may well find he (or she0 was asleep during that bit and they may take exception to the fact that you look happy.....

This is particularly apt in Spain, 'cos they are unhappy if ANYONE looks happy and if that person happens to have a GB sticker then that gives them hours of fun as they try to find a way to boost the coffee funds, or clear the National debt depending on their mood....

There have been reports that users of A frames have had no problems at all in Spain and Portugal...... sadly there have also been the opposite and there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to it....

I am neither pro or anti such devices, why would I be as I don't use one or wish to do so as we would not take a small car with us (bikes suffice for us) and with our French registration we are happy being in the centre of towns and cities creating chaos.....

But of course, each to their own.....

The key thing is to have fun and do whatever you want in the safe knowledge that someone somewhere won't like it......

Dave

PS in case the excess of emoticons does not give a big enough clue - I am being a tad sarcastic and trying to inject some humour, but being an ex-teacher, my sense of humour was surgically removed during teacher training......

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 17:52

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambegayo View Post
What detail has the reflective sign in Portugal. France is the same as England but I was told today that Spain and Italy have their own idea as to the width of the red stripes. Spain the red stripes have to be wider and if it doesn't conform the fine is 60 euros. As yet I haven't found the criteria with regard to Italy.
I believe that in the UK the board should strictly be triangular rather than square.

Dick
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 18:45

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamNPete View Post
I

In some countries you have to drive on dipped ha=eadlights all the time (not just swedwn) NB includes Switzerland.
They like to see you switch on at the border.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page