New Easylifter Hydra Trail - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 388 (permalink) Old 27-04-2010, 22:06

Personal Aire
I did chat with him the day before yesterday. He is bringing out a two castor wheel version for heavy bikes (over 200kg). I encouraged him to post a video of it at speed over poor country roads loaded with a 200kg bike and a 100kg scooter.

As I explained, the springing and damping are the only things I have reservations about. And these only because I have no evidence to put these concerns to bed.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 388 (permalink) Old 28-04-2010, 12:36

I am really keen to get hold of one of these but talking to my trusted mechanic he raised a few concerns;

How would it cope when the single wheel, in the middle of the vehicle, hits a speed bump at 30mph (I know, I know, we're talking about those that you can straddle with the main vehicle wheels)

He also questioned how the castor mechanism would work on wet grass when reversing (least of our problems with a sevel ) He thinks that it would start to dig in and possibly bend the upright as the wheel swivels through the 90 degree position

Wear on the pantogram also remains an unknown

What do we think?
post #13 of 388 (permalink) Old 28-04-2010, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoquest
I am really keen to get hold of one of these but talking to my trusted mechanic he raised a few concerns;

How would it cope when the single wheel, in the middle of the vehicle, hits a speed bump at 30mph (I know, I know, we're talking about those that you can straddle with the main vehicle wheels)

He also questioned how the castor mechanism would work on wet grass when reversing (least of our problems with a sevel ) He thinks that it would start to dig in and possibly bend the upright as the wheel swivels through the 90 degree position

What do we think?
With the small speed ramp that the truck will straddle, surely the pantogram will absorb the travel?
This assembly is not fixed.

Also the bushes of this pantogram is some... phosphorus bronze bushes...? Means little to me.

Good point about the wet grass. As getting your scoot on and off is easy [allegedly] I'd take it off, and remove the racks' wheel.
I know it's a bit of a faff, but if needs must.

K1m is the one to really answer, as he's actually got his.

w
Ozzyjohn likes this.

post #14 of 388 (permalink) Old 28-04-2010, 14:09
K1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse
Quote:

What do we think?
With the small speed ramp that the truck will straddle, surely the pantogram will absorb the travel?
This assembly is not fixed.

Also the bushes of this pantogram is some... phosphorus bronze bushes...? Means little to me.

Good point about the wet grass. As getting your scoot on and off is easy [allegedly] I'd take it off, and remove the racks' wheel.
I know it's a bit of a faff, but if needs must.

K1m is the one to really answer, as he's actually got his.

w
There seems to be alot of interest on here about this product...I will try and shoot a video of the Pantograph in action and post on youtube. As mentioned I am away at the moment but will sort something out on my return.

Kim
post #15 of 388 (permalink) Old 28-04-2010, 17:58

Afternoon all,

I ,m interested in this too, what happens when you have a puncture ? A spare wheel would also be a wise option.
I also understand it does not have any suspension at all

norm
post #16 of 388 (permalink) Old 28-04-2010, 21:43

I have an opportunity to get over to France in July with Eurotunnel. If I take the bike on the Easylifter Hydra would I (you)

Assume it was a rack and take the bike for free

Assume it was a trailer and pay 100 (each way)

Take the bike off, remove the Hydra wheel and ride the bike over for 30 (each way) ?

My van has a max weight of 3200kgs and is usually loaded to the this limit minus a 60kg allowance for towball noseweight. Hydra and bike together weigh 300kgs

If the Hydra is viewed as a rack by the feds; have I exceeded my max weight ?

How can my rear axle weight be checked with the Hydra attached?
post #17 of 388 (permalink) Old 28-04-2010, 21:57
JP

Quote:

If the Hydra is viewed as a rack by the feds; have I exceeded my max weight ?

If it is a rack then yes you will exceed your weight as they will weigh all axels to get your total weight.
I guess you have gained a third axel???
JP
post #18 of 388 (permalink) Old 29-04-2010, 00:01

Does this get more complecated by adding two wheels.

Is it a fixed trailer or a third axle.

Dave p

post #19 of 388 (permalink) Old 29-04-2010, 02:09

Quote:
Unless you are using those independent plate thingys then I guess you cannot, but it would be possible to weigh the van (both axles) and just the front axle independently and deduct one from the other.

As far as Ferries/Eurotunnel are concerned I would call it a rack because that's the amount of room it takes up regardless of whether or not it has wheel attached.

JohnW
post #20 of 388 (permalink) Old 29-04-2010, 09:44

I think you have the correct(ish) answer Wizzo

I shall ensure the rear axle has 60 kgs spare for the noseweight and the van is less than 3200kg

The rack is a 'Rack' as far the tunnel are concerned

The trailer is a 'Trailer' as far as the feds are concerned

simples

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page