Cycle rack for Kontiki 645 - tow bar? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-09-2008, 11:09 Thread Starter

Cycle rack for Kontiki 645 - tow bar?

Hi folks,

We are due to take delivery of our new 2008 Kontiki in a couple of weeks - two things concern me and I wonder if any of you can help out.

One concern leads to solving the other, maybe. I am mildly concerned about potential damage, low down, to the central rear panel, below the number plate. The reason for this is that if anything should occur to the outer corners, they are small, repairable panels. The centre piece is a one-piece panel from bottom edge to roof.
So, this led me to think about a tow-bar. Cool, I thought, extra functionallity and protection from potential slow-moving collisions to the rear.

At the same time, I am trying to overcome the lack of a cycle rack on the new van. Maybe there is the option for something like a Fiamma fixed to the rear, but Ive read some posts which reference the ladder getting in the way.

One nice subscriber, makes reference to the Thule tow-bar fitted cycle racks and I do like the look of them. Trouble is, there's four of us and so far, I can only see Thule options for 3 bikes.

So, theres my appeal. Does anyone agree that the tow-bar option is a good one to combine funciton and protection and also, is there a 4-bike solution for a tow-bar which is of sufficient quality that it's not likely to fall off half way down the M4?

Cheers.
Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-09-2008, 04:38

Cycle rack for Kontiki 645 - tow bar?

Hi Mark.
If I am not mistaken the Thule type mounts on the towball?
We are considering the type that mount behind the towball (& are also easily removable when not needed)
All we need are longer bolts for the towball.
However I only need a two bike model so cannot answer your Q re 4 bikes, but do feel more secure about the "not falling off"
Hope you get more responses though.
Cheers C
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-09-2008, 09:07

Send a message via MSN to premiermotorhomes
Hello,

I am an agent for Thule, there are three carriers that will fit your needs;

The 9705 which mounts to a plate between the towball and bar thus still allowing you to tow, and also the 9708 which mounts on to the ball. In both of these cases the bikes hang from the upper cross bar, or if one isnt available Thule make the 981 or 982 to replicate this bar to allow fitting (perfect example where this is needed is a ladies or folding bike).

Thule also make a platform carrier, the G5 909 which carries 3 out the box and allows a fourth to be carried with adaptor 9801.

I hope this helps, pm me if you require any further assistance.

Regards,
Chris
Acessories Shop Manager
Premier Motorhomes of Chichester

Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7BU 01243 511189

Members of Checkatrade, Trading Standards Buy With Confidence. NCC Approved Dealership & Approved Workshop.

If my post has helped you, please click thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page