Which is a good bike rack cover - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by some-where-in-oxford
If you get stuck try Argos, check the cover if its not strong enough take it back in for a refund. I think they do bike/motorcycle covers.
You can get an oxford motorcycle cover for about 15 at most mmotorcycle accessoriy shops. I used 1 for my motorbike for years and now use it to cover a wheelchair on the cycle rack.

Having said that, for cycles, I am with G. Keep the saddles dry and you will be okay without a cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:18

bike covers

TravelBug

We've had the Taylormade two bike cover for five years now and have found that it does a good enough job for us.

It is a bit of a struggle to get over the bikes (our rack is quite high) and difficult to seal the two vents (velcro) at the back. However I've not noticed any problem with road dirt still affecting the bikes but have had some condensation.

After five years I've recently noticed some wear in the area where the handle bars catch it and it has faded in the uv light. Mr Taylormade told me that the material is that of which car airbags are made.

Not sure whether they do diffent sizes however the one occassion I put three bikes under ours it was even more of a struggle to seal the vents. However we do manage to get a rear panier on each bike under the cover so I guess it would help to ask the next person you see with one to let you try it out.

Personally I would rather have a cover than not and when the time comes would go for the Taylormade again because I think the alteratives I've seen are too flimsy.

Regards

bill
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-08-2008, 21:11

We got a fiamma one, really dissapointed for the 30 quid it cost, after a 1000 miles down to the south of france the pedal was poppin out of the seem.

when we are in the sun i dont use one, but when we are covering long distances in all kinds of rain i wouldnt be without one, it doesnt take much for gears and chain to start to rust.

i am deffinatly lookin for a replacment, maybe outdoorbits will refund my 30 odd quid plus p&p too

Paul

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-08-2008, 21:23
TR5

My Motorhome: Autotrail Frontier Delaware
Personal Aire
I have a taylormade bike cover, and while it works pretty well, there is plenty of material to tie down to stop it flapping.
I purchased off ebay, some large plastic eyelets and fitted these to give more tie-down points - this works fine. I also used two eyelets as bottom drain points, to ensure any moisture or rain can drain out.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-08-2008, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkenny9
We got a fiamma one, really dissapointed for the 30 quid it cost, after a 1000 miles down to the south of france the pedal was poppin out of the seem.

when we are in the sun i dont use one, but when we are covering long distances in all kinds of rain i wouldnt be without one, it doesnt take much for gears and chain to start to rust.

i am deffinatly lookin for a replacment, maybe outdoorbits will refund my 30 odd quid plus p&p too
Paul
They are 20 from us. 2/3 bike or 4 bike versions (non zip)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-08-2008, 21:34

Just to add our barbeque cover is still doing a grand job and is so easy to pop over the bikes when on or off the MH we have actually found it better than the proper bike cover we used to have.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-08-2008, 22:03

Or you can run something up on the machine, I made a kind of double saddle cover out of heavy duty Gortex from Pennine Outdoors, it helps to secure the bikes together too, in a gentle kind of way. The Gortex is the heavy woven stuff, tough as old boot, doesn't flap either.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 26-08-2008, 08:34

Send a message via MSN to nukeadmin
Quote:
They are 20 from us. 2/3 bike or 4 bike versions (non zip)
hmmm the cheaper versions may be so Peter but your matching Fiamma cycle rack cover premium is actually 45.49 according to your site and the standard Fiamma cycle rack is 31.99
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 26-08-2008, 08:36

Send a message via MSN to nukeadmin
ah my apologies lol I was actually looking at another Fiamma shop that I thought you owned yours are indeed 20 for the standard and 34 instead for the premium
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-03-2018, 15:03

My Motorhome: I drive...
When you can be bothered to open your shop. Waited 45 + mins this morning, gave up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page