Towbar mounted bike carrier - handlebar clearance - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By rumik

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-09-2018, 18:31 Thread Starter

Towbar mounted bike carrier - handlebar clearance

We have an Orian Zeta (same body as an older Autosleepers Nuevo) and are having a towbar fitted principally to carry a bike rack for two ebikes. Surveying the multitude of racks available it looks to me as though none of them provide enough clearance to allow the first bike loaded (nearest to the van body) to be loaded without having to twist the handlebars -something that we don't want to have to do everytime. The racks are, of course, aimed at use with cars where the slope of the rear of the vehicle allows plenty of clearance. Can anyone suggest a rack that will fit to a towbar on the back of a motorhome that allows a bike to be loaded without having to twist the bars?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-09-2018, 18:45

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

how much more space do you need there are spacers available that go between the tow ball and the bracket

barry
The Following User Says Thank You to powerplus For This Useful Post:
rumik (02-10-2018)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-09-2018, 20:01

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I have the big Thule towball bike carrier that can take 3 bikes (with an extension for a 4th) - possibly the 9503 model but I'm not at home to look. With my last motorhome (Autotrail Frontier) that had a spare wheel I was not able to use the bike slot nearest to the van but could use the other two without having to fold the handlebars. I think though that you would need to go into Halfords or similar and do the exact measurements for your van.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
rumik (02-10-2018)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-09-2018, 21:12

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
I have to twist the handlebars on one of our ebikes to get round the problem you describe. There's no way round it with the bike rack we have other than to pad the handlebars that's touching the rear door. This can be done with pipe insulator but it's a faff! Its easy enough to undo the handlebars nut and turn them 90 degrees.

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to caulkhead For This Useful Post:
rumik (02-10-2018)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:27

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cherokee 2011
Personal Aire
Send a message via Skype™ to Robell
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulkhead View Post
I have to twist the handlebars on one of our ebikes to get round the problem you describe. There's no way round it with the bike rack we have other than to pad the handlebars that's touching the rear door. This can be done with pipe insulator but it's a faff! Its easy enough to undo the handlebars nut and turn them 90 degrees.
I do exactly the same. I carry a set of allen keys to do just that job (and others on the bike if needed). It's a bit of a faff but having the spare wheel on the back of the MH means I have no choice. Just make it part of the packing and unpacking of the bikes on the carrier.

Rob

Still a student of life
The Following User Says Thank You to Robell For This Useful Post:
rumik (02-10-2018)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 15:19

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540 and Kip caravan
We have an Atera Strada DL3. It’s terrific. We got a 3 bike carrier principally to give us clearance to open our back doors (Bürstner City Car) on a Fiat Ducato. It has a slide and tilt mechanism. Brilliant. So there is plenty room for handlebars on our electric bikes. However, I don’t know how much room the two bike carrier would afford you. We also had spacers fitted to our towbar.

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyGalSal For This Useful Post:
rumik (02-10-2018)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 17:16 Thread Starter

Update

Thanks for your replies. After exhaustive browsing, measuring, cogitating etc. we've ordered an Atera Strada E-bike carrier. It looks like there will some clearance for the bars but we'll see when it arrives.

Mike

Mike
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 14:32

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cherokee 2011
Personal Aire
Send a message via Skype™ to Robell
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumik View Post
Thanks for your replies. After exhaustive browsing, measuring, cogitating etc. we've ordered an Atera Strada E-bike carrier. It looks like there will some clearance for the bars but we'll see when it arrives.

Mike
Good news, but don't forget that the further back from your rear axle the weight of the bikes is applied, the greater the loading will be on the rear axle. Just check you're not overloading it by going to a weighbridge when you're fully loaded.

Enjoy your travels and bike journeys.

Rob

Still a student of life
The Following User Says Thank You to Robell For This Useful Post:
rumik (19-06-2019)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 10:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robell View Post
Good news, but don't forget that the further back from your rear axle the weight of the bikes is applied, the greater the loading will be on the rear axle. Just check you're not overloading it by going to a weighbridge when you're fully loaded.

Enjoy your travels and bike journeys.

Rob

Rather late I know but as an update - the bike rack/tow ball combo gives handlebar clearance of about three inches so no need to turn bars . Weighbridge check shows weight is OK too. Am indeed enjoying taking the bikes away and using them.

Mike
tugboat likes this.

Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 12:55

My Motorhome: Burstner IXEO IT734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGalSal View Post
We have an Atera Strada DL3. It’s terrific. We got a 3 bike carrier principally to give us clearance to open our back doors (Bürstner City Car) on a Fiat Ducato. It has a slide and tilt mechanism. Brilliant. So there is plenty room for handlebars on our electric bikes. However, I don’t know how much room the two bike carrier would afford you. We also had spacers fitted to our towbar.
We also had this carrier on the back of our previous M/H an Autotrail Scout. This has the spare wheel carrier on the rear in a moulding. I've got a full suspension MTB with particularly wide bars and when on the inside rail, the handlebar naturally sat just in front of the 1 O'Clock position of the spare wheel with no problem and clearance between the end of the bar and the rear of the van itself

I am going into space in a vehicle made from over 3 million components, each manufactured by the lowst bidder - Neil Armstrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page