• 1 Post By EJB
  • 1 Post By Mrplodd
  • 1 Post By jhelm
  • 1 Post By tugboat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 08:25 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Electric bike security

How do you keep your ebikes safe from thieves?
Obviously use a good quality lock,but if the thief wants it they will cut it.so what tips does any one have?
Also do you detach the battery and take that with you when you leave it locked up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 11:45

My advice would be to cover the bike up and use several locks. I use 3 high-quality locks on mine and one is also an alarm built into it. So any movement, including removing the cover will set it off. My battery is always removed when it is not being used. There is only so much you can do. My bikes are also covered on my home insurance.
greygit likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revise For This Useful Post:
aldra (28-08-2018)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 11:50 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revise View Post
My advice would be to cover the bike up and use several locks. I use 3 high-quality locks on mine and one is also an alarm built into it. So any movement, including removing the cover will set it off. My battery is always removed when it is not being used. There is only so much you can do. My bikes are also covered on my home insurance.

Thanks for the reply. Iím mostly interested in folding electric bikes which will be in the Motorhome when not in use. Just think they are most vulnerable when we use them and have to leave at our destination when we are sight seeing.
What are the best locks you use?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 13:02
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
A few loose comments re what we do:-
When off site lock with two cable locks to a permanent fixture...helmets in basket covered.
On site or bike rack batteries always removed and bikes covered.
On site and between use locked to a permanent fixture....most insurance policies require this.

Rarely used in the UK but simply careful where we actually leave them.

As you hinted it takes a few seconds to steal them, locked or not, so they are either stolen or they are not stolen???

In London and other cities the current epidemic of stealing motorcycles takes a Transit van and two fairly fit men about 20 seconds from start to finish....locked or not!

PS. If in a MH garage a medium sized screwdriver allows access in a few seconds!
jo662 likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
The Following User Says Thank You to EJB For This Useful Post:
jo662 (26-08-2018)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 13:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB View Post
A few loose comments re what we do:-
When off site lock with two cable locks to a permanent fixture...helmets in basket covered.
On site or bike rack batteries always removed and bikes covered.
On site and between use locked to a permanent fixture....most insurance policies require this.

Rarely used in the UK but simply careful where we actually leave them.

As you hinted it takes a few seconds to steal them, locked or not, so they are either stolen or they are not stolen???

In London and other cities the current epidemic of stealing motorcycles takes a Transit van and two fairly fit men about 20 seconds from start to finish....locked or not!

PS. If in a MH garage a medium sized screwdriver allows access in a few seconds!
On my motorcycle I use a big chain,but that would be to heavy to carry on a electric bike. And cable locks are so easy to bolt crop. Like you say just needs as much security as we can carry I suppose.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 16:44

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Buy a GOOD quality ďDĒ lock AND high tensile chain/cable (loop the cable through your helmet, not the strap) Always use it (even just popping into a shop) always lock your bike TO something immovable lamp-posts, trees and street sign are are good!

Most batteries lock into their racks but, as you have said, you will never stop a determined and resourceful thief, so make yours less appealing than the next one. Also make sure your insurance cover is high enough to cover the replacement cost AND that there are no ďstupidĒ policy restrictions. (Some policies require you to produce the remains of any defeated lock, which is not always possible or reasonable)

We have used folding electric bikes all over the continent never had a problem (so far)

Andy

Use any lock when they are in your MH, the locker locks are rubbish!
jo662 likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 26-08-2018 at 16:46.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
jo662 (26-08-2018)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 26-08-2018, 19:18

I guess e bikes are much more worth to effort to steal than normal bikes. But when we are in camp grounds we don't bother to lock our regular bikes much of the time. I lock them on the bike rack most of the time with just a simple bike lock and have never had a problem. All over Italy and Europe. It takes me ten minutes to undo all the ties and such to get my bikes off the rack so even unlocked it's too much time for a thief.

I would say that bikes covered and batteries removed would make them pretty safe in most areas.
jo662 likes this.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
The Following User Says Thank You to jhelm For This Useful Post:
jo662 (26-08-2018)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-08-2018, 07:04

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
The Vanbitz Strikeback alarm has an accessories loop for bikes and scooters etc.

Not suggesting anyone gets one just for their bikes, just adding the info in to the mix.
jo662 likes this.

I'm daft and proud of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tugboat For This Useful Post:
jo662 (27-08-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in