Scooter trailer / rack - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 18:52 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Scooter trailer / rack

Hi,

We have just traded in out old motorhome for a Burstner Ixeo 680g. A great bit of kit and brilliantly laid out (for our needs).

We take a motor scooter when we travel and on our old van we mounted a Sawiko (AL-KO) rack on the back. We kept the old rack and took it to our local dealer to have it fitted to the new van and this is where the fun started.

With the van pretty well loaded, the guys weighed the front and rear axels, checked the overhang and checked the plate (having paid to upgrade to 3850Kg) and they did their sums. "Oh dear" they said,"we have a problem". The scooter, rack and chassis extensions exceed the rear axel weight allowance (The scooter is 110Kg).

We have plenty of capacity if we fit the scooter inside and between the axels but not hanging off the back.

The only solution I can see is to get a side mounting trailer.

Does anyone have any experience of these? Are they easy to tow and reverse (being short, you can't see it in the wing mirror) or does anyone have a cunning plan?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 19:48

Hi, I have had a Armitage side loading trailer for about five years, I think they are a great bit of kit, but not the so easy to use from a reversing point of view, however I found with practice and and regular use, you can master the art. Also what is worth considering is it is difficult to secure the scooter to the trailer, not from the trailer point of view, but from lack of securing points on the scooter, it's amazing how much forward and backward motion there is, I have now modified the original bracket supplied with the trailer after having done quite a lot of damage to my first scooter ( dailim 125 ) with the rachet straps. But I am now well pleased with trailer and it's amazing how much interest it creates on the continent. I hope this helps, Brian.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tavira For This Useful Post:
Polyphon (08-03-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page