Carrying a Motorbike and an Electric BIke - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-05-2017, 14:34 Thread Starter

Carrying a Motorbike and an Electric BIke

I got some very good advice here on loading my Yamaha YBR125 motorbike onto the Universal Weih rack on my Hymer (photo below). I understand an extra rail is available to attach to this rack allowing one or more "ordinary" or electric bikes to be carried also. Has anyone come across these attachments?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weih.pdf (57.2 KB, 73 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 20:41

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Just be aware that anything extra will impact on your rear axle weight, especially due to the leverage due to its distance from the rear axle.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 21:47

My Motorhome: Hymer 504
Do you have enough payload spare to be able to have this? When we bought our motorhome it came with a towbar and scooter rack built and fitted by Armitages. The m/h is plated at 3500kg so we took it to a weighbridge, loaded up for a trip. Scooter rack was not on the towbar and we only had 80kg spare. I eventually removed the towbar and sold the complete set-up, rack and towbar. Before shipping I weighed them and each item was 40kg so 80kg in total. If the previous owner had actually carried a scooter the m/h would have been massively overweight. Should the company fitting the towbar and rack have pointed out that by carrying a scooter the m/h would be overweight or is it the owners responsibility?
aldra and aldra like this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-05-2017, 06:27

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Armitage tend to over engineer stuff to great degree.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-05-2017, 10:37

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Armitage tend to over engineer stuff to great degree.
I disagree. Their scooter racks are the best on the market and the easiest to use by a country mile. Dunno about the other stuff but their side loading trailer looks as easy to use as the rack.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 04:12

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I disagree. Their scooter racks are the best on the market and the easiest to use by a country mile. Dunno about the other stuff but their side loading trailer looks as easy to use as the rack.
Having had three vans with their kit on the back, I have to disagree with you too Barry, one had a mobility scooter rack on it and it was so heavy it needed two people to remove it when not needed, I can't comment on their scooter racks.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 11:07

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Likewise I have only used their scooter rack so cannot comment on the other heavier stuff. The side mounting trailer though looks the same bit of kit though on wheels.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 12:01

My Motorhome: BŁrstner City Car C540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrancer View Post
I got some very good advice here on loading my Yamaha YBR125 motorbike onto the Universal Weih rack on my Hymer (photo below). I understand an extra rail is available to attach to this rack allowing one or more "ordinary" or electric bikes to be carried also. Has anyone come across these attachments?
Don't want to rain on your parade but...... have to agree with Mr Plodd. My first thought - forget the pluses and minuses of Armitrage construction- is payload, payload, payload. If you have sufficient to play with on your rear axle then great, but I have my doubts. Perhaps you have checked it out already and are good to go.

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 12:39

When it comes to carrying a scooter / bike there is always loads of advice regarding it's detrimental effect on payload. Just wondering if anyone on here has actually ever been stopped and found to be overweight and if so what was the outcome . ie did you have to lighten the load to continue , how, impounded, fined ? Which country.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 16:58

My Motorhome: BŁrstner City Car C540
Yes, we were stopped and weighed in France and found to be overweight. Fined on the spot and allowed to carry on with our journey - still overweight! Ever since then we have been extremely aware of what we are carrying and distribution. Always have to be careful with rear axle. We weigh the van from time to time to be on the safe side. 'Payload' has become my mantra! We were lucky, get stopped in U.K. and if you are found to be overweight you have to discard stuff to get down to correct weight before they allow you to proceed - and fined if you are really overweight - I forget the percentage allowed before the fine kicks in.

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page