Carrying a Motorbike and an Electric BIke - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 18:17

Interesting, can you remember roughly how much you were overweight and how much the fine was ? I am asking as I think that there may be times when I will be a little over like when I've just filled up with fuel and on the way home with wine , gifts etc. Not trying to flaunt the law and will naturally try to be mindfull of the weights but other than going to a weigh bridge how can you be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 20:53

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540
We were 200kgs overweight.(Yikes) It was December and we were taking gifts to my son and his family who live in Barcelona. Some gifts for the children were heavy etc etc. Fine was €90 and that was roughly 2008/9 can't remember exactly when. It was on a toll road near Bidart, straight after the peage. In our defence we were mislead by Hymer's quoted payload. OK we were also guessing/estimating a bit, going off load and weight of our previous van. We eventually found out - by stripping the van right down and weighing everything individually and then putting van on weighbridge - that their published figure was total rubbish. Their idea of a standard van isn't mine. Their standard van does not include the electric wing mirrors, the swivels on the two cab seats, the extension bit (that is factory fitted) on the table etc etc. And Sod's law we had just filled up with diesel and water for a long trip!
Only way forward is a weighbridge.
Gretchibald and Gretchibald like this.

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.

Last edited by MyGalSal; 24-05-2017 at 20:55.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 00:33

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I am sure we will have been over. We were stopped at the border and weighed in Switzerland once and were 60kg over but I think they were just wanting to see if we were over 3500kg or not. They just let us go and gave us a print out of the weights which we produced at every border.

50, 100 or even 200kg over your unlikely to be dangerous as it seems many vans can be upgraded by a paper exercise anyway. I know i can upgrade mine by 400kg if I want to without doing anything but have chosen not to partly because we thought we were selling and partly to avoid things like Go boxes etc. I kind of wish I had done it now though as we are keeping the van but there is probably not time before we go away. When ive been weighed at home in the past we are usually near the limit but under it.
Gretchibald and Gretchibald like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 06:36

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I am sure we will have been over. We were stopped at the border and weighed in Switzerland once and were 60kg over but I think they were just wanting to see if we were over 3500kg or not. They just let us go and gave us a print out of the weights which we produced at every border.

50, 100 or even 200kg over your unlikely to be dangerous as it seems many vans can be upgraded by a paper exercise anyway. I know i can upgrade mine by 400kg if I want to without doing anything but have chosen not to partly because we thought we were selling and partly to avoid things like Go boxes etc. I kind of wish I had done it now though as we are keeping the van but there is probably not time before we go away. When ive been weighed at home in the past we are usually near the limit but under it.
Not sure of the legalities (but someone will know) surely you could uprate and put the sticker wherever you like, so for G boxes you use the original one, and for weight checks use the new one.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 10:51

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Not sure of the legalities (but someone will know) surely you could uprate and put the sticker wherever you like, so for G boxes you use the original one, and for weight checks use the new one.
I would assume your V5 also has to be changed Kev. The Authorities will look at that, look at your sticker that your showing them and then probably throw you in Jail.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 13:48

Personal Aire
Anyone know how long it takes to up plate either through svtech or doing it yourself?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 22:12

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540
I think it's by return post. Quick as that and a few hundred quid lighter!

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page