Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Easylifter hydra trail in Devon/Somerset ?

19K views 55 replies 7 participants last post by  nickoff 
#1 ·
Has anyone got an Easylifter hydra trail in Devon/Somerset ?

As i would like to have a close look at the towbar attachment for one as i think it may foul the back of my van.

Roger

#45 ·
The ball allows no flexibility

It just affixes the whole thing along side the bolts

It reverses drives forward in perfect sinc to the van

But the trailer does have to be jacked up to remove the casters

And then lowered to remove/ or load the bike

And then rejacked to replace the casters once the bike is loaded

It wouldn't be easy to steal unless you have the jack that fits

Sandra

#52 ·
Last year we went down to the Pyrenees, South of France, and the year before generally toured around the La Rochelle area. No real problems encountered. The main tip is getting to strap down the bike correctly so that it doesn't move around.
The Transalp is a heavy ish bike and quiet tall.

Nick.

#50 ·
I would think if the wheels didn't swivel, they would have no tyres left in a hurry.

So the parallelogram is the suspension, but is it damped? is that arm thing the only hold down or does it use ratchet straps.

The videos don't really show very much of the questions being asked, and we're on page 5 with no real answers.

#53 ·
The arm is used to hold the bike in place on the platform so that you are free to attach ratchets or w.h.y. Don't think the suspension is damped, just controls the up and down movement of the "trailer". What I can tell you is that when driving along you can't really notice that you are towing anything.

Nick.

#51 ·
The requirement is for some form of suspension BETWEEN the road wheels and frame (springs or rubber blocks as per "normal" trailers) The parallelogram does NOT count legally as suspension as it's not between the wheels and the frame.

Looking at the towball and two peg fixings I would be a little concerned about the sideways leverage exerted by a loaded unit on the tow bar which is designed to take backwards and forwards loading but NOT sideways twisting.

Do these things have ANY form of Type Approval or certification?? They are certainly a very clever concept!

Andy

#56 ·
The requirement is for some form of suspension BETWEEN the road wheels and frame (springs or rubber blocks as per "normal" trailers) The parallelogram does NOT count legally as suspension as it's not between the wheels and the frame.

Andy
I'm sure you are right in your interpretation of the law Andy BUT does the Hydra Lift actually qualify as a trailer?

Nick.

#55 ·
Ta duchess, I knew someone would have the techy answer :D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.