dog friendly and safe motorhome models? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 23-02-2020, 14:26 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
dog friendly and safe motorhome models?

Hi,

We're new to this site and motorhomes.

We used to have a Globecar Trendscout campervan but found it very cramped as we have a border collie who travels everywhere with us.
To be honest, I'm struggling to understand why no manufacturer has come up with a good layout that accommodates floor space for a dog, and ideally a secure dog cage so our pampered pouch can travel safely. I've got dozens of designed flying around my head to cater for most scenarios!
And while we're about it, with more floor space I might be able to make enough room to do yoga (no I'm not doing it outside as we mostly travel during the winter months).

Anyway, so we're thinking of upgrading to a motorhome such as a benimar-cocoon-485 and "adapting" it.

Finally my question, how easy is it to remove the fitted furniture and "make good" the hole?

With the benimar-cocoon-485 we'd remove the bench seat between the front passenger seat and the side door and fit a dog cage with a doggy day bed next to it. Hopefully with the table & cage temporarily removed I can do a mini yoga session

Alternatively we're looking at either a chausson-welcome-i-778 or a BURSTNER-viseo-i720 and removing the main double bed (and we'd sleep in the lift bed) at the rear of the motorhome and fit the dog cage there keep the rest as clear floor space for yoga.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 24-02-2020, 11:19

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome to the forum redrockers.

We have loads of folk on here who travel happily with their dogs either in the main cabin or in the garage with windows and proper air circulation.

All MHs are a compromise. I'd be worried that if you're removing an entire bed you'd lose a fair bit of storage space too. Can you not do your yoga on the bed? (I've never tried it so that might be an ignorant question!) You could even lash the crate on the bed?

Jean
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 24-02-2020, 22:40

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Well

Weve travelled for 12 years with the hound from hell, a large long haired german shepherd

He allows no one near the MH

Even when travelling

Zebra crossings, red lights a nightmare with a hound on high protection alert

He now travels in the garage, a bespoke window and fan and can bark to his delight to protect his domain

But when we stop hes in the MH with us, sleeps with us

Hes still confined to the garage with Open wire doors on site whist we come and go due to his protective tendencies , he can see everything that goes on around home

Im not sure why you think you need a cage

When shadow travelled in the van he did so on a halter attached to the seatbelt as a safety precaution

Other than that hes free in the MH

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page