First venture into Motorhome travel - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By erneboy
  • 1 Post By erneboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 00:59 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
First venture into Motorhome travel

Hi, this is our first venture into motor homing. We are currently based in UK but plan to move to Europe for touring. We are totally mobile with no fixed address in Europe but do have addresses in UK and OZ. As we will spend most of our time in Europe, we plan to get a LHD. Is it better to purchase in Europe? Recommendations, hints and tips on make etc appreciated.
Also guidance on EU insurance and registration. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 08:36

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Welcome to the site.

For ownership you'll need a provable address to buy and register a vehicle so as you have an address in UK I'd suggest that 's your best bet.
As to insurance, that's likely to be a bit more of a problem, as most policies will restrict your time out of UK by one way or another, there are I understand some companies that will cover 365 days away but obviously at a cost.

LHD will be advantageous for continental touring but if buying in UK RHD will most likely be most cost effective as the choice / amount on sale will be more.

Depending on which countries passport you hold you may experience some difficulty with time spent in Europe after the eventual outcome of the current dilemma the UK Government has plunged the country in to.

Whatever you decide I wish you well and hope you enjoy the experience..
raynipper likes this.

John
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 09:41

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
If I had my choice of where to buy and register a motorhome I think I'd investigate doing it in Germany. For one thing I believe that MoT (Government vehicle testing) is every two years there. There are a great many German motorhomers and many are very well travelled. I'd be surprised if insurance for long trips is a problem there. And finally there are many, many vans for sale in Germany.
raynipper likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 10:44

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
If I had my choice of where to buy and register a motorhome I think I'd investigate doing it in Germany. For one thing I believe that MoT (Government vehicle testing) is every two years there. There are a great many German motorhomers and many are very well travelled. I'd be surprised if insurance for long trips is a problem there. And finally there are many, many vans for sale in Germany.
Alan I 100% agree with that, however I understand the registration of a vehicle once purchased cannot happen without proof of residence, hence my suggestions.

I've bought three motorhomes from Germany and they have a system whereby you buy a temporary registration and insurance which allows for transit out of the country, which if my memory serves me correctly is valid for one month.

He could of course buy in Germany and then import to UK for registration.

I'm pretty sure that most, if not all mainland European countries have a two year period of vehicle examination, unlike the yearly UK requirement.

John
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 10:52

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I'm actually considering ways of getting myself an address in Germany to register our RV there.
eurajohn likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page