Help with search method for MH with payload >1000kg? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-10-2014, 17:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
REPORTING BACK

I have taken on board that certain posters thought that I had rejected some marques, e.g. Adria, Burstner, Laika and Rapido, which did have second-hand vehicles meeting my criteria.

I have since done more research, including UK searches and mobile.de, on these marques and have not found any particular MHs for sale which are post 2007. Maybe that is just what is on the market this month.

If some of you can point me to particular models(post 2007) which fit my criteria I would be very grateful.

At the moment the marques in the frame are Dethleffs, Euramobil, Frankia, N+B, but exluding, at present, on price grounds Concorde, Morelo and Phoenix.

It is an on-going process and I am very open to more suggestions.

Nobody has yet come up with a source of specifications for these past models, which in itself makes research difficult.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 31-10-2014, 17:25

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
Sorry but I must disagree with GAVLAD on his assessment of tag axle vans.

On my last Ducato on an Alko chassis (5 ton MAM), the rear axles had plenty of spare carrying capacity. It was the front axle that had no spare capacity. In fact I was unable to be legal with a full fuel tank and the 2 of us in the cab. This same van had a double dinette directly behind the cab with belted seats for 4 adults. There is no way on Earth you could legally do that. I did not even carry any fresh water in order to be legal.

I have not had my present van on a weighbridge yet but looking at the axle weights at the time of MOT's, I have some spare capacity on the front axle and lots of spare on the rear 2 axles.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:55

Out of interest Geoff - why the 2007 deadline?

I wonder if we are seeing a relative shortage of MHs from the 2007-2012 periods due to austerity etc; certainly a lot of MH manufacturers cut production and some consolidated/merged etc .

IMHO there are plenty of older vehicles out there that have had relatively light use and are very well built and are very well equipped.

Ok you do have to compromise in some areas - the main one being engine technology perhaps? but if you get your calculator and work out how much you actually spend on fuel you might be surprised how little actual difference there is between 20mpg and 25mpg over the milage that you actually do - far less than the depreciation hit on a newer vehicle.

Jon

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:26

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
4 years ago after 3 years research I came up with pretty well the same spec as you Geoff. I found the Hymer S class specically the S740 to fit the bill.

LHD, payload 1,400 kg, sofa layouts ideal for two touring, on a merc 616 (careful the early ones were not) twin rear wheels rear wheel drive, large gararge and uber luxurious quality fittings, fully auto, underfloor wet heating as well as blwn air, fully auto, gross wt 5990 kg. The Hymer flagship in its day, last one made 2007/8.

Dick
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:05

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
The Mercedes 616 is the Sprinter chassis I believe, not the Vario.

It has the OM612 DOHC diesel.

The 614 / 814 is the Vario chassis with the OM904 diesel.

Peter
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:16

My Motorhome: Le Voyageur RX Platinum 2011
I can only comment on the marque we have, LeVoyageur ( pilote group) . Merc 519 chassis. Most of the LX range fit your spec and the Platinum certainly.
We went through a fairly similar list of needs and wants...and this was our answer. We bought it new but there are a fair few used ones out there, notably in France of course.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 15:45 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonegood
Out of interest Geoff - why the 2007 deadline?

I wonder if we are seeing a relative shortage of MHs from the 2007-2012 periods due to austerity etc; certainly a lot of MH manufacturers cut production and some consolidated/merged etc .

IMHO there are plenty of older vehicles out there that have had relatively light use and are very well built and are very well equipped.

Ok you do have to compromise in some areas - the main one being engine technology perhaps? but if you get your calculator and work out how much you actually spend on fuel you might be surprised how little actual difference there is between 20mpg and 25mpg over the milage that you actually do - far less than the depreciation hit on a newer vehicle.

Jon
Jon and others

2007 is not an absolute deadline, but there are two main reasons.

One is, as you mention, engine technology, because I still have a house and friends in SW London, so to comply with London LEZ(plus any cities in Germany and elsewhere which might introduce LEZs)would need a Euro 4/5 engine, or the expense of fitting a particulate filter and the hassle/cost of having it recertified every year for say a two week visit, or if we move there.

Secondly, If I upgrade to this size/weight it may be my long-term MH for say 10 years, so even a 2007 would then be 17 years old. Hopefully I could find a 2007- with 50,000 km on the clock.

I know that some of the Hymers etc. on Mercs have a good reputation but I just feel that they will be a bit old-fashioned and also spares may be a problem in future - remember white-van man probably swaps every 3-4 years so soon there will not be many older ones around.

Geoff
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 15:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr
4 years ago after 3 years research I came up with pretty well the same spec as you Geoff. I found the Hymer S class specically the S740 to fit the bill.

LHD, payload 1,400 kg, sofa layouts ideal for two touring, on a merc 616 (careful the early ones were not) twin rear wheels rear wheel drive, large gararge and uber luxurious quality fittings, fully auto, underfloor wet heating as well as blwn air, fully auto, gross wt 5990 kg. The Hymer flagship in its day, last one made 2007/8.

Dick
Dick and Peter

Did the later ones have Euro 4 or 5 engines? - see my reply to jonegood above.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page