Over-sensitive computer( can't sleep for long) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 10:19 Thread Starter

Over-sensitive computer( can't sleep for long)

I've just bought a new desktop computer running Vista.

As I used to do with my old one I put it into Sleep mode when I leave it.

This one though is always "awake" fired up and ready when I go into the room.

Sometimes it seems as if it was incoming mail that woke it, sometimes it wants to update something and sometimes it seems as if it is somebody slamming a door in the next road that is all it takes !

It seems to make no difference whether I put it to sleep manually or let it go off on the pre-set power system, after 10 minutes.

All suggestions gratefully received please. It's annoying me !

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 10:33

Personal Aire
I had a similar problem until I found the cat playing with the computer mouse on the desk - just tapping it with his paw. This was sufficient to start the machine up again. Try the "hibernate" setting if you haven't already.

Colin

PS - just a slight movement can cause it - the tension in the mouse cable "springing" the mouse a milimetre or two.

No longer motorhoming due to illness, but always prepared to help by sharing any experience I may have.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 11:10 Thread Starter

Thanks Colin. I think I can discount cats so it looks as if I'll have to build a vibration proof desk to put my mouse on ! The room it is in does have a rather shaky floor and anyone using the stairs beside the room does shake the floor.

I'm going to try hibernation ( the computer, not me, though might do both)- and a stiff letter to Seattle to suggest they make less sensitive computers. Given they are in an earthquake zone you'd have thought they'd have learnt this the hard way.

G

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 16:51

My Motorhome: 2015 Bailey Approach Autograph 740
The big benefit is that as you have just bought it you are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 next month. Then you will have an operating system that works properly.
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 16:55
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
We never use shortcuts....just the on/off switch.
It always works and doesn't cost a penny

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 17:34

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryD
The big benefit is that as you have just bought it you are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 next month. Then you will have an operating system that works properly.
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
Windows Millenium edition comes a close second! I work in IT and unless we are positively forced by a customer we wont supply Vista on a new (business) system. Still supplying PC systems with XP Pro Service pack 3. It works and doesnt come back to haunt us!.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 18:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Gerry
Crikey ! I've used all systems since punched cards and was just congratulating myself on how nice Vista is ! I don't keep up with changes theses days and didn't realsie 7 was so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
Windows Millenium edition comes a close second! .
I was just about to say that. I never got on with NT however but seem to be the only person in the universe who did not.

Thanks EJD but the Sleep option is convenient as it means I can leave windows open and programs running but still save a bit of electricity. I suspect the huge screen of this one takes twice as much as the last one.

The wretched thing is behaving like a small child at bedtime. I turn it off,come back and find it alight and humming, come back later and find it ( guiltily ? ) just closing itself down. It has a secret life. Perhaps I signed up to one too many registration programs yesterday and it is working for the CIA on the quiet?

G
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 21:20

My Motorhome: 2015 Bailey Approach Autograph 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
Quote:
Gerry
Windows Millenium edition comes a close second! I work in IT and unless we are positively forced by a customer we wont supply Vista on a new (business) system. Still supplying PC systems with XP Pro Service pack 3. It works and doesnt come back to haunt us!.
Same here, our IS will not support Vista even though we sell them in their hundreds of thousands. Still using XP professional and Office 97.
Gerry
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 21:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Still using XP professional and Office 97.
Gerry
If you're talking bugs then Office must hold the record. I've just bought a new copy of Word with this machine and it is SO much better than the 2000 version I was using. That had so many little quirks and foibles that I was the only one who could use it.

I've still got a box file in the corner of my room with all the correspondence and accounts of phone calls to and from Cliff Stanford when I moved to Demon in the early 90s. And then came Turnpike and wow! So advanced. Talk about steep learning curve !

G
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-09-2009, 21:38

Check your windows updates settings - you may find it's set to update at some God-awful hour like 3 in the morning - this will wake your pc from sleep.

Any antivirus will do the same...

Always make sure they're set to a day time hour...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page