Backing up the Mac - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-05-2021, 18:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Backing up the Mac

My WD passport refused to backup after looking after the Mac for 3 years, so clever dick here erased the content to start again, now I canīt get into the passport it keeps asking me for a password and wonīt accept the one I have written down for it.

I canīt get the computer to take over the backup either so until I get this sorted or buy a new passport Iīm sort of humbuggered.
I have only used the backup info a couple of times since Iīve had this passport, now Iīve got nothing, any suggestions please other than keeping my fingers crossed?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-05-2021, 18:23 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Panic over, I have spoken to a very nice young man at Apple in America and by sharing my screen has put the Passport back to work.
barryd likes this.

I'm Jan
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 05:41 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Oh well, looks as if I have to get a new Ext. Hard drive, although he got it to work it didn’t, after it installing itself, which took a few hours, it tells me there is not enough space to back up when the thing had been completely erased, it also had the first aid so should have been good to go.

Since 2017 it has been deleting old back ups automatically to make space for new ones.

I'm Jan

Last edited by JanHank; 28-05-2021 at 05:43.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 10:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
Personal Aire
I Doubt its knackered Jan. If I were on a PC I would format it and it should just come back as an empty drive. Its rare that they would fail. Did the Apple guy format it? I think you do it in the disk utility app. I dont have a mac so we need a Mac expert really.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 10:47 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
There isnīt anything that says format Barry, I was also looking for that before I contacted them.
He did the erase as I had done. He also managed to open it without a password, it had been asking me for a password, but it wouldnīt accept the one I had written down for it.

I have ordered a Toshiba on 2 tb and it will be here tomorrow, if I get the WD to work again I can use it for photos or something else.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 11.42.22.png (148.3 KB, 7 views)

I'm Jan
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 11:41

First and foremost, hard drives can fail anytime for no reason whatsoever. I would as suggested by Barrie erase and reformat the drive.

Do you use Time Machine? Not everyone likes it but it is useful if you have an iMac rather than a MacBook.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201250
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 12:29 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
First and foremost, hard drives can fail anytime for no reason whatsoever. I would as suggested by Barrie erase and reformat the drive.

Do you use Time Machine? Not everyone likes it but it is useful if you have an iMac rather than a MacBook.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201250
That is what the passport was used for Drew, connected to the mac and the WD passport is the time machine.

I'm Jan
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 12:42

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
There isnīt anything that says format Barry, I was also looking for that before I contacted them.
He did the erase as I had done. He also managed to open it without a password, it had been asking me for a password, but it wouldnīt accept the one I had written down for it.

I have ordered a Toshiba on 2 tb and it will be here tomorrow, if I get the WD to work again I can use it for photos or something else.
There is something not right with that drive. Its only showing as an 8gb drive which is about the capacity of a small USB stick. What is it supposed to be? 1tb? 2tb? 1tb for example is 1000gb and your drive is only showing 8gb. Its either knackered or not been formatted properly or you are showing the stats for a USB stick.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 12:44

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post

You sure you havent got one of these plugged in and are looking at that and not the external hard drive. I googled Store n Go and it seems to be either a USB stick or a 1 tb hard drive

https://www.staples.co.uk/office-sup...hoCFc4QAvD_BwE

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-05-2021, 14:16 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
You sure you havent got one of these plugged in and are looking at that and not the external hard drive. I googled Store n Go and it seems to be either a USB stick or a 1 tb hard drive

https://www.staples.co.uk/office-sup...hoCFc4QAvD_BwE
Iīm sorry I showed you the wrong picture, here is the WD and its at least 1 tb. but the casing tells me nothing.
WhenI open it, itīs empty I will try putting some music on there and see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: png WD.png (210.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 15.14.40.png (171.8 KB, 4 views)

I'm Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page