Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Internet speed

2K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  patp 
#1 ·
Can't find the thread about trying to get my mobile working inside our house.

We have had Fibre to the Premises installed. They came and did it on Wednesday. Chris uses an ipad and he is getting 600 and something Mb/s. I am sitting beside him and my HP laptop is getting 146 mb/s.:frown2: Why is that?

I will get round to trying the Iphone 6 via wifi but wondered about this first.

#3 ·
Yes Wi-Fi receptions can account for differences across devices, have you an option to use a suitable cable direct from the modem to your laptop?

Terry

#4 ·
Note the BT guys that installed ours explained it can take a few days for the fibre option to tune itself to optimum performance.

Terry

Reactions: patp
#17 ·
No. All these clean up programs, CC Cleaner etc are pretty much "IT Snake Oil". They might make you feel better but they dont do much for your computer.

Chrome can be a memory hogger if you have 50 tabs open like I often do but the best way to ensure your computer runs as efficiently as possible is not to have loads of programs installed in start up (memory resident), more than one Anti virus product, stuff like that.

Very envious of both your connection speeds. We cant get fibre here although there are plans we are working on in the village to bypass BT to get it by the end of this year.

#9 ·
I don't know how to defrag Jean.

If the ipad is getting 800 Mb's then surely it can't be the service provider? Whatever it is it must be the laptop because I am sitting right beside the ipad. Wifi must be working well. They did leave a wifi booster disc but, as I say, I am in the same place as the ipad but getting very different speeds to it.

#29 · (Edited)
From memory the BT routers have dual band wi fi. I think they are set up by default to be Smart. If your devices do not support dual band wi fi then that would explain the speed difference.

The Wi Fi channels are 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Just found this on net: "Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz WiFi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, while 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps".

#13 ·
Ha, ha. Not dissatisfied at all. Just jealous of 800!

We wanted the fibre to the premises because we have zero mobile signal in the house and very little outside the house. Have you tried dealing with the modern world, that constantly wants to send you texts for every little thing, without a mobile signal?

#14 ·
Just checked and our download is MAXIMUM 4.06mbs and upload a maximum of 0.28mbs, yes 0.28 is what I meant.....

So, internet provision here is "poor" we have to use a satellite with a latency of 2684ms, hence why social media communication like Zoom or Team simply does not work.

Fibre ? In the area yes, but probably not working until 2005, they are installing the cable + junctions on the main road about 3km away, will it ever get to us ? Highly unlikely IMO.

So I am jealous of such speeds....

#15 ·
Apparently fibre cable/supply was run all down the Cherbourg peninsular and 2km from our house 5+ years ago. But nothing got connected this side of the main road. So we keep getting adds telling us to 'profit' from fibre and we can't.

Ray.

#16 ·
Stay calm, Pat.

It took about a week for our system to get up to speed: I measured it daily and, possibly, rang the supplier because it wasn't quite there [a few years ago, so I have forgotten the details].
There was an article on RipOff Britain yesterday and I used two different speed tests to see how things currently stood.

Ookla gave 70Mb down, 26Mb up but OffCom gave 52 down and 14 up.
All done while we were watching TV on internet and also working on an iPad.
All done via WiFi with a repeater disc in the lounge.

I'm glad that you've been able to join the more modern world.

Gordon

#18 ·
I am more than satisfied with my 50 MB a sec. I can stream more than 1 movie, listen to music and browse the net at the same time. As to your WiFi calling Pat you can do that with the very basic Internet speed.

Reactions: patp and erneboy
#19 ·
Not according to BT. It was them that told us to install fibre to the premises. Mind you I think they are on some sort of directive to get so many people connected because it was all free and done really quickly.

Have yet to try the phone.

#21 ·
Barry I don't have much on my PC because I have little knowledge of how these things work. I am very nervous of installing things. It just seems very weird that the two devices get such different speeds.

BT insisted that I needed fibre to the premises. It was at no cost to me so I went for it.

Not tried the phone yet. We need to port our old number over to it and get it talking to the wifi.

BT are also sending some other gadget that will give me a signal from 4G apparently. Not sure there is 4G in the area?
I was telling the operative that we have no mobile signal in the house and so when I am conducting any kind of financial or business transaction on line they ALWAYS want to text me a code. It is an absolute nightmare sometimes because often there is no other option and the whole transaction cannot be completed. If I am talking to a human I can explain but if I am renewing insurance or other such stuff it is all on line and I have to abort at the stage where they want to send a confirmation of identity text.

#22 ·
It will be a device to give you a mobile signal via your new fibre Broadband. I think with BT its called "Signal assist" or it was. You will get that through wifi calling also but not all phones are able to do wifi calling.

Either way you should have no more mobile signal issues once both are set up.

#23 ·
We have been given an Apple Iphone 6 to play around with to see if it is worth us investing in decent mobile phones. We have always managed with basic Doro phones for emergency use when out and about. We can never give out the numbers with confidence because we spend most of our time at home.

If the iphone works in the house our plan is to port the most used mobile number over to it. First we have to get it to work :)

#24 ·
I like the older Doro phones but my wife has decided she needs a smart phone and it's always flat in the bottom of her bag. Unlike the Doro kept it's charge for a week.

Ray.

#26 · (Edited)
Sadly many people just don't understand what they need or what their internet devices use.

I had problems with my BT box at back end of last year - regularly broken BT Sport picture. 3 engineer visits - the last one Open Reach. All said the TV box needs only 10mb download to stream sport etc. My problem was interference caused by an old daisy-chained phone set up which we disconnected and I connected a new master socket.

Why would anyone sign up to a service offering 100mb download speeds or more, unless they had to or they were hosting a website/business on that connection. My BT connection is 50-60mb download and 15-20mb upload.

I have two kids at home, the BT box, Netflix, Xbox, two work computers on line and two kids doing college work at home and usually, a couple of phones connected - we never have a speed issued.

I just cancelled my BT Amazon Prime and in doing so BT offered me Halo 2 for £5.00 a month (total cost £32.99 a month for 24 months - no discounts or offers). The engineers told me to only take Halo 2 because of the discs and IMO this is worth having as it now gives me 40-50mb download speed in every room in our home - using the router and 2 potable discs.

I speed test a couple of time a week using Ookla app and the results vary between 45.7mb and 57.9mb download.

I run Chrome on home and work PC - the only thing that is slow is Memu (a phone emulator i use for gaming at my desktop) but that is because I use it on a 8 year win7 PC

#27 ·
The whole package works out cheaper than my previous package. I had unlimited calls on my landline because we had no mobile signal so all calls had to be by landline. She cancelled the unlimited calls and gave me the slowest of the fibre options which worked out cheaper than before. It was not a special offer so it will be on going.

The only thing we do is use our ipad and laptop. We cannot be bothered with on line tv. If there is nothing on the main channels we just turn it off!

I do think, however, that we must get with the proper mobile phone technology. It is very inconvenient to keep telling people we cannot "look up" stuff or get a text or whatever.

So - we have this iphone 6. It is locked to Vodaphone. We bought a Vodaphone pay as you go sim for it. It says you can port your old number over at the end of the first month. We would like it to merge (?) with the ipad so that they share stuff. Have heard this is possible??

If all the above works out and we find we get on with it (and yes, Ray, it does need charging more than the Doros do!) then we may invest in a more up to date one if we feel the need.

#28 ·
The whole package works out cheaper than my previous package. I had unlimited calls on my landline because we had no mobile signal so all calls had to be by landline. She cancelled the unlimited calls and gave me the slowest of the fibre options which worked out cheaper than before. It was not a special offer so it will be on going.

The only thing we do is use our ipad and laptop. We cannot be bothered with on line tv. If there is nothing on the main channels we just turn it off!

I do think, however, that we must get with the proper mobile phone technology. It is very inconvenient to keep telling people we cannot "look up" stuff or get a text or whatever.

So - we have this iphone 6. It is locked to Vodaphone. We bought a Vodaphone pay as you go sim for it. It says you can port your old number over at the end of the first month. We would like it to merge (?) with the ipad so that they share stuff. Have heard this is possible??

If all the above works out and we find we get on with it (and yes, Ray, it does need charging more than the Doros do!) then we may invest in a more up to date one if we feel the need.
Yep I sync my iPhone stuff to iPad, any phone message to phone gets displayed on the iPad. Handy when you' sent a message code to confirm a valid contact or purchase.
Plenty of Google help to show how to set it up.

Terry

#34 ·
Following an article on a morning BBC programme about internet speed and structures which slow down the WiFi signal, I downloaded a free App called "WiFi Signal" it gives me the chance to compare the WiFi so goal signal strength around the house, apparently itnis measured as a negative figure with -30dBs being the fastest possible (no idea why), and -70dBs being too slow for normal use.

The speed around our house varies from -38dBs to -60dBs which surprised me as the worst figure is close to the router.

May be worth doing something similar in your house just to check....

My next problem is tackling the difference and trying to ensure signal as good as possible in some areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.