Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Windows 10 update

12K views 245 replies 11 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a message pop up yesterday about having to update my Win 10, so I set the onboard timer for 16:00, it started at that time and finished sometime after 18:00.

After it had finished I left it for 30 minutes then shut down, this morning when I fired it up it booted up really slowly and then said "please wait" on the screen, eventually I started to see the home screen slowly awake the icons on my desktop but it was mega slow, normally this happens in a few seconds this is a i5 with 8gb RAM so normally a fairly quick machine.

I did an internet speed test which was as fast as normal up in the 80 range, I then used the built-in performance monitor which looks really slow to my inexperienced eyes, please see the screenshot.

I just looked at defrag and the analyse said 0% defragged, I have it set to defrag on the fly, which seem to be working ok.

Can anyone advise?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It could still be either updating or installing Kev.
Have you gone to updates and seen whats happening there?

Ray.

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
#4 ·
Beyond me Ted, I hadn't noticed my charger had come unplugged, no warning it just died, when I plugged back in and turned it back on there were several beeps, didn't count them, it eventually booted up after a bit of blue screen and a whirly thing (technical term) I tried to get onto the internet and it wouldn't, it did all the checks and said something about the adapter being screwed, so I shut down and restarted, got the blue screen again for a while then it's booted up and I have internet again. This is seriously doing my head in now, up until yesterday I had no complaints with my laptop.

Attachments

#5 ·
I tried Reliability Monitor Ted and not sure but it recorded almost a ten until a few updates were installed and then it was nearer one??

Ray.

#6 ·
If you hit control alt and del and go into task manager and performance it will show you the disk, cpu, memory etc and where its being maxed out. Processes tab will also show you what programs are hogging memory if you order them by memory. Is it a standard hard drive or an SSD? My guess if its a standard HD you will find the disk is at 100% and its probably the defrag process thats slowing it down. Defrag is a waste of time IMO. Kill all that, reboot and see what its like.

#7 ·
After it had finished I left it for 30 minutes then shut down, this morning when I fired it up it booted up really slowly and then said "please wait" on the screen, eventually I started to see the home screen slowly awake the icons on my desktop but it was mega slow, normally this happens in a few seconds this is a i5 with 8gb RAM so normally a fairly quick machine.
Quite often a Windows 10 update is in 2 parts - 1 before a restart and 1 after.

#8 ·
Not turned defrag off yet Barry, does this tell you anything?

Attachments

#9 ·
That its really not doing much at all. Should be fine with those stats but it still could be the defrag process causing the PC to be slow if its in motion. Memory is half full but still a fair bit left. See what its like after the defrag process or just top it, reboot and try it again.

It looks like its a standard HDD and not an SSD so the defrag may well be dragging it down.

#10 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll turn it off and report back after the reboot, BTW, it seems to run and stream just fine now, the only slow bit is anything I do on facts, posting or opening threads etc it can take up to 30 seconds.

Sorry yes, it is a standard HDD 1tb, It's about 3-4 years old now, and still under the PC World warranty which I've used twice so far, just had a new charger from them.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thats a slow boot up but not unusual for a PC thats 4 years old with a mechanical HDD. Was it that slow before the update though Kev? It could be that its still updating or installing something but the time it takes for the desktop to start to build is pretty long which suggests something is going on before you get to that stage.

The only other thing to check is the start up items which you will find in task manager. Maybe there is some stuff you can disable but be careful if you dont know what they are (you can usually google them).

Depending on how much stuff you have on it, an upgrade to an SSD will make a big difference. Or the alternative is to re-install windows and all your stuff but a complete PIA. If however it was fine before the update then something has got in thats caused it to slow right down but its not obvious from the info you have given.

#14 ·
I don't recall how fast it was before as I'd usually just do a shutdown, wait til it fully powered down the go make a coffee while it booted up, as you know I'm not one to screw around with settings on anything if it works fine as is, I may adjust mouse speed and that's it, BTW thanks for the advice to go for an Acer, It's been a good machine up until this last big update

I think I might leave well alone Barry, once it's awake it seems fine apart from facts which honestly has always been a bit pants as far as speed is concerned.

BTW in the performance test is it better to have high or low peaks, the first screenshot below is at rest, the second with the two peaks is where I grab the first screenshot and then save it.

Attachments

#15 ·
I have an older all in one Asus that takes about the same time Kev. I keep checking what it might be and always it's the hard drive. But changing it to a SSD might not be an economical option as everything else is old.

Ray.

#16 ·
For about a month now the screen has been going light and dark so I've just rung PC world and it's going in for repair this afternoon.

#18 ·
How did you manage to get a four year warranty kev out of PC world? Presume it was one you paid for?

The performance monitors generally want to be as low as possible. That one I showed you in task manager is easier to understand and you can also look at whats taking up memory etc. Sometimes programs go rogue and have memory leaks and just start hogging the memory. The other thing is how often you reboot. With laptops I know sometimes people never shut them down and just shut the lid. I do it myself but it means stuff never gets cleared so a reboot at least once a week is a good idea.

If its working fine and just slow to boot then you are probably right. Just leave it. When you eventually upgrade it go for one with an SSD it makes a massive difference. I just sold an HP online actually with an SSD, about three years old that might have suited you. I stuck it on Ebay as an auction with a buy it now of £140 and it was gone in half an hour. Should have asked for more :D

What I have found with SSD computers is they just dont slow down over time like HDD ones do. This thinkpad Ive had about two years or so now and its as fast as when I first got it.

#21 ·
How did you manage to get a four year warranty kev out of PC world? Presume it was one you paid for?

The performance monitors generally want to be as low as possible. That one I showed you in task manager is easier to understand and you can also look at whats taking up memory etc. Sometimes programs go rogue and have memory leaks and just start hogging the memory. The other thing is how often you reboot. With laptops I know sometimes people never shut them down and just shut the lid. I do it myself but it means stuff never gets cleared so a reboot at least once a week is a good idea.

If its working fine and just slow to boot then you are probably right. Just leave it. When you eventually upgrade it go for one with an SSD it makes a massive difference. I just sold an HP online actually with an SSD, about three years old that might have suited you. I stuck it on Ebay as an auction with a buy it now of £140 and it was gone in half an hour. Should have asked for more :D

What I have found with SSD computers is they just dont slow down over time like HDD ones do. This thinkpad Ive had about two years or so now and its as fast as when I first got it.
Yes I paid about 120 quid for it, glad I did, its had a couple of issues, some sorted out in branch which they only seem to do in big cities now :frown2::frown2:

I might go for SSD next time as you say, but I would need 1tb to be happy.

Reactions: barryd
#19 ·
I also had a screen problem for weeks where from time to time the screen would go slightly darker, then normal, it'd do it a few times then be okay for a while so I thought I'd use the warranty, it's with PC World now, warranty runs out next July.

#20 ·
PC World must be busy, I just got a text. Your item has safely arrived at our repair centre.

#23 · (Edited)
My last laptop was an HDD 1tb Acer and when it died I went for a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 360 GB SSD which was a PIA as the 1tb drive on my old Acer was almost full! I just whipped it out and stuck it into an enclosure. The vast majority of stuff on it is Videos and tv series as well as just a massive amount of music stuff (my own) and produced videos all of which take up loads of space. So its been a bit of a struggle to work differently and keep as much stuff off the main drive as possible but in some respects its better. If you clog up your main drive it inevitably slows it down. Its still three quarters full mind. So maybe the best practice is a smaller SSD and an external HDD drive for storage of stuff you dont use everyday. Having said that SSD drives have come down a lot in price so a 1tb is not so far out of reach. You will find though that the machines that are fitted with 1tb SSD drives tend to be much higher spec and therefore more expensive.

one option is to get a bespoke build. So find a supplier with a run of the mill i5, 256gb 8gb Ram and get it upgraded by the supplier before it ships to a 500gb or 1tb SSD. (make sure they include the original drive in the box, flog it on ebay :D )

256gb SSD seems to be the most popular now though as everyone is using the cloud so very little to store locally.

#24 ·
You have just reminded me Baz to do my monthly back-up to an external drive.
After retiring my last tower I took the spare, hardly used 2TB drive out and stuck it into a housing and although it needs external power it's great for storing all my back-ups and any large files.

Ray.

Reactions: barryd
#26 ·
I just went down to pc world to see what is going on with my laptop, they've written it off I now have to wait for a voucher, no idea how much for I need to look at the t and Cs to see if they have to give me a new one or not as prices have rocketed since Vivid.

Reactions: raynipper
#28 · (Edited)
I am furious, I just got an email from PC World containing an e voucher for £428.38, I have looked on their website and cannot find a close match to my old one, 15 inch 1tb, 8gb, Acer aspire, I was expecting new for old.

Not sure what my next move should be, I'd also like to get my hdd back if poss.

#29 ·
#30 ·
I have to use it at pc world Barry, it was an intel i5.

#31 ·
Looks like an Acer Aspire i5, 8gb, 256ssd or an HP G7 same spec.

I supplied a couple of HP G7's not that long ago and they are ok. Not sure about the Acers as its along time since I sold any. Its a bugger as I "acquired" a three year old HP laptop the other week with a 256gb (not i5 though) and I wacked it on ebay at 99p with a £140 buy it now price and it went in less than half an hour. Could have been yours for £140.99p :D Crap though really.

Dont be tempted to go for a standard HDD, go for an SSD and see if you can get your old drive back and stick it in a USB Caddy for extra storage. Those prices are not so bad but just make sure they really are in stock as levels everywhere are really low.

#32 ·
#33 ·
As said though Kev, I would go for the model with the 256gb SSD drive rather than a 1tb HDD. Just use either your old drive in a caddy or an HDD external USb drive if you have loads of files to store. The SSD model will be shed loads faster and more likely to stay that way. Up to you though. I think you will struggle to get an i5, 8gb for under £500 now.

#34 · (Edited)
I bought this HP 15-ay020na 15.6'' LED Screen Red / White Laptop Notebook Win 10 Quad Core SSD
( 123710268593 )
ITEM PRICE:
£149.99 p&p
Bought mainly for the HDMI to feed a TV while away.

Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.