User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:56 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Bluddy One Drive.

Just wondered if others have had similar problems with One Drive to me.?

OK it's possibly my own fault for checking but as a "One Drive" icon keeps appearing in my tool bar I thought I would just take a look.
It immediately tried to update or upload all my files to the One Drive platform. Sadly due to it only providing 15GB of storage and my personal data is about 30BG of data it soon became full. But it kept trying to update my files.

This caused many of my personal files like pictures and other data to 'hang' and be unresponsive. My pics would not load or scroll and my docs had to be accessed via One Drive and everything had a small red 'X' beside it.
I think Microsoft does this to try and get you to buy extra storage but in the end after messing about for ages my answer was to uninstall One Drive completely and get things back to square one again.

I guess it's possible just to limit what One Drive does upload and store but again it never seemed to do what I wanted to be available to me in a format I recognised.

Am I alone?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 08:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,088 Times in 945 Posts
Personal Aire
Its a bit of a PIA if you only have the 15gb version so best either set up to just sync documents only or just sign out of it or as in your case get rid of it. The full version with Office 365 gives you 1tb so you can pretty much sync everything on your pc and once its done the initial sync change should be quick. It is useful as it means if you make a change to a file on your PC its in the cloud also so you not only have a backup you can go to any computer, login and make a change or add something and its updated on your main device or any other devices.

However if you are on a slow connection its not great as that initial sync can take forever and its almost impossible for it to keep up.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 Thread Starter

Yep and thanks Baz, agreed.
I guess as my personal data is only about 30+ GB and that new PC arrives today we spoke about. After thats all set up I can't see the need for any online storage then as I will always have a 'back-up' storage with me on another portable 'device'.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:03

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
30gb is not much at all. you could stick that on a pen drive these days. You have to think of Onedrive as not a backup service though. Its kind of the place you work on your files. One of the good things about Onedrive if you get a new PC is you just hit the sync button on your new PC and all your files and folders just sync up. It takes some getting used to though and can be a PIA if you get it wrong. Anyway just keep doing what your doing and bin it off as the free version is no good to you anyway.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:43

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I take the attitude that if Microsoft want me to have something I probably don't need it or don't want it.

Geoff
greygit and raynipper like this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:11

Personal Aire
The main target for Office 365 which comes in various versions and generally includes all the office programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook etc and also stuff like OneDrive, teams etc is at businesses or business people. There is a home version which basically allows you to get the programs for a subscription each year. Its massive now and works really well (most of the time) in a business environment. There are free office type and compatible programs available and plenty of free email options but the massive advantage of stuff like a 365 subscription is its all cloud based as well as desktop based if you want both. During Covid this was invaluable to some of my clients. It meant they could just pick up or get a laptop or even their home computer and have all their files, company shared files and folders, emails and stuff they work on together at home without any transfer of data etc. It pretty much means I never have to go to site to set anything up.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 Thread Starter

Yep, understandable Baz. I always tend to look at any monthly or regular payments and ask if I really need them. Like 365, Netflix, Disney, Sony, Amazon, phone, media subscriptions, health gyms and other software subs, etc. All these and more contribute to emptying your bank.

Ray.
barryd likes this.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:32

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yep, understandable Baz. I always tend to look at any monthly or regular payments and ask if I really need them. Like 365, Netflix, Disney, Sony, Amazon, phone, media subscriptions, health gyms and other software subs, etc. All these and more contribute to emptying your bank.

Ray.
I dont think you would benefit much from any of it Ray. Just keep doing what you are doing and try not to break anything.
raynipper and nicholsong like this.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 15:35

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Just keep doing what you are doing and try not to break anything. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Hahaha! Are these not 2 incompatible injunctions?!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 22:58

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Think my version of Office is many years out of date, but it still works just fine for me AND no subscription.
raynipper likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page