Bluddy One Drive. - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 13:46 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Oooppsss yes Jean. All my stored passwords of which there must be nearly 100 are stored in a password protected Word Doc and would go to One Drive.
It has been known for me to have to boot up an older PC used as a back up to access this doc. I think I will stay clear of online storage.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Oooppsss yes Jean. All my stored passwords of which there must be nearly 100 are stored in a password protected Word Doc and would go to One Drive.
It has been known for me to have to boot up an older PC used as a back up to access this doc. I think I will stay clear of online storage.

Ray.
Ever thought about using a password manager, eg KeePass. Works on most operating systems and you only need to remember the one master password (just like your Word document). You can have it as a portable file on a usb stick.
And, most importantly, it's free.
https://keepass.info/index.html
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 15:52 Thread Starter

Yes Gelly.
Every now and again I read in Computer Active about their recommendations for a password manager but I might be a bit of a dinosaur at times as I tend to stick with what I know and has worked well for many years. Some of these online 'thingeys' come and go apart from billions of hacks into large well known and supposedly protected sites. I also feel any USB stick can be lost, stolen or corrupted.

My Word Doc is available on my desktop and laptop plus the back up drive at all times. No internet, no problem. And now after my One Drive experience I'm even more convinced to keep everything within my grasp. Another benefit at my ages is in the event of me not being 'available' my wife and kids have access to all passwords via the protected doc.

Thanks anyway.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 15:54

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,088 Times in 945 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
The problem with all that online storage is that if you're without a signal you're scuppered - as I've discovered numerous times recently.

Especially when I inadvertently pressed the button to 'forget' my MiFi connection when it was the only device that had a signal, my dual SIMs having lain down for a rest.

And my password for the MiFi was in Dropbox....
Depends how you set up your cloud storage. One Drive for example allows you to store on the PC and the cloud. You can set it to either just store in the cloud or on both the PC and the cloud. Doing the latter means I can still work on my documents offline and as soon as I am connected again it will update the Onedrive in the cloud. It works the other way round as well. If I work on another computer somewhere else I can sign in to Onedrive, work on a document and as soon as I switch my laptop or PC on at home it will download the new or changed document.

If you are using Onedrive and all your folders have a green tick on them like the example below then they are stored on that PC and in the cloud.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 16:29 Thread Starter

OK Baz, thats clever. All I got was red crosses. Yes I know it was because it was trying to upload too much stuff but I found deleting it all the best option.
Many times I have downloaded something only to regret later and back track. I guess I have lost some adventurous ideas.

Ray.

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 16:34 Thread Starter

Can you have more than one One Drive account to get more free space?

Ray.

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 16:38

Quote:
Yes Gelly.
Every now and again I read in Computer Active about their recommendations for a password manager but I might be a bit of a dinosaur at times as I tend to stick with what I know and has worked well for many years. Some of these online 'thingeys' come and go apart from billions of hacks into large well known and supposedly protected sites. I also feel any USB stick can be lost, stolen or corrupted.

My Word Doc is available on my desktop and laptop plus the back up drive at all times. No internet, no problem. And now after my One Drive experience I'm even more convinced to keep everything within my grasp. Another benefit at my ages is in the event of me not being 'available' my wife and kids have access to all passwords via the protected doc.

Thanks anyway.

Ray.

Guess it's a matter of what you are comfortable with and that's not wrong.
I don't even have a byte of data stored online!
For your family to get access to your Word document they'll need the password for it just the same as a password for KeePass.
I've got direct access to my KeePass on multiple Linux, Windows 7, Windows 10 and Android machines (excluding two USB sticks).
Anyway, if Word works for you
raynipper likes this.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 18:56

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,088 Times in 945 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Can you have more than one One Drive account to get more free space?

Ray.
I guess so if you use different email addresses to sign up but I wouldnt go down that route if I were you. could get messy and its still only 5gb at a time.

When I first synced mine I did it on a customer site with really fast internet. It would have taken about a week or more to sync here on our crappy connection. That was probably your issue. The upload speed on standard ADSL broadband is much slower than the download.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page