Motorhome Facts Forum banner

iPhone Navigator

3K views 68 replies 9 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
The Becker has given up the ghost, I turn it on it tells me its the Becker and turns off again and the holder is also kupput.

I like the Navigator on the iPhone, but does that use up my Gb. (is that what's called data?) when in use?

#2 ·
Can you get TomTom for those expensive iPhones? The reason I ask is you dont need to be online for Tomtom navigation to work.:smile2:

#5 ·
By the way there are 2, I was trying the GO, but there is also a MyDrive, just a minute, there are loads.
I have MAPS already I had WAZE but got rid of it because I didn´t know what it was for :frown2:

#7 ·
For info...I use OsmAnd on my Android phone and it uses no data as it operates off line...the same as Tom Tom etc.......it's as good as my Tom Tom.
So I assume your set up uses little or no data as well.

#8 ·
All that was as clear as mud to me Ted :frown2:

Too much information and I´m not interested in the walking or cycling routes.

Does he use that nail as a screwdriver or to play a guitar I wonder?

#10 ·
Are you sure the Becker has given up Jan? My TT battery is pretty useless so it tends to refuse to work unless it's connected to the USB and the engine is on. Otherwise it huffs and does what yours is doing.

Having said that, after I'd all the problems of not being able to download the updated EU map (a year or more ago?) I downloaded the Sygic for trucks (which has a setting for RVs) and that seems to be pretty good except.... When bowling down a motorway or dual carriageway on the continent, she would want to come off, cross the roundabout and back on... No idea. I brought it to their attention n they said they were aware and it would be changed in the update. Whether it has or not I don't know.

#12 ·
He´s definitely died Jean, I have been having trouble for ages with the on off button, it gets stuck in, Hans used to hawk it out with his knife, I think the button inside is kupput and opening it to have a look and put in a new battery at the same time because that doesn't last either I don´t have the will to do, I haven´t got the patients to fiddle arse about with it and no more updates is a pain.

I have a months free trial with TomtomGo and just the free version of Teds favourite.

#13 ·
This is interesting. Dont want to hijack Jans thread but this might well finally solve my Scooter sat nav issue. None of the new TomToms have headphone sockets and I cannot mount my newer sat nav on the scooter bars but if I Can stick Tomtom on my phone or A N Other I could just use that with a set of headphones, either blue tooth or wired. Assuming it works in my pocket. The TomTom device itself does but I cant hear the newer one and the old one with a headphone socket is about knackered.

#18 ·
This was from being under the oak trees For over 4 weeks and I thought we had some proper cleaner but no can’t find any so used fairy liquid, seems to have done the biggest amount, just a few stubborn patches left. The finishing touches to be done tomorrow after 3 hours worth today with me helping on the sides back and front as far as I could comfortably reach.

#19 ·
Navigators

Right then, as I find using the navigator on the iPhone a bit fiddly and maybe it will use up my internet, I had this thought, waddaya reckon :-

I can buy a cheap don´t do much Garmin Navigator for 82.99€ to get me to the Towns or villages I want to go and then use the iPhone to find me places to stop the night on Park4night etc. Is that a good idea or is that idea good? :smile2:

#21 ·
Right then, as I find using the navigator on the iPhone a bit fiddly and maybe it will use up my internet, I had this thought, waddaya reckon :-

I can buy a cheap don´t do much Garmin Navigator for 82.99€ to get me to the Towns or villages I want to go and then use the iPhone to find me places to stop the night on Park4night etc. Is that a good idea or is that idea good? :smile2:
You should be also able to get all the POI for the Garmin for Park4night or whatever I would have thought but the iphone, laptop or whatever is always best for searching out the stopovers. I agree with your idea though. Always best IMO to have a dedicated sat nav I Reckon.

However having said that. The idea for using the phone as a sat nav for the bike works fantastically. I am just using Google maps. I can work out a route on the laptop or any device then just send it to my phone, put in the earphones, press start and away you go, clear as a bell. The only problem is I wont be going anywhere anytime soon where I will need it but thanks to this thread its another one off the list for when we do eventually go on a proper tour.

#22 ·
There ya go then (as they used to say or perhaps still do) the old gal can still be useful :grin2:

The trouble with the phone is I can´t find a suitable way to fix it and it may use up my data where the Navi I can and it won´t.

I don´t often have to look at the Navi, go by spoken instructions as you do on the bike, but sometimes I do look at it and the phone is a bit weeny to see whats going on and I have a decent fixing place on the dash for a Navi.

#25 ·
I have some that do 23 countries in Europe and some 43 countries including Turkey.

Ray.

#26 ·
I don´t think I will ever be going to Turkey.

I might go to Portugal to see if I can find Cliff Richards place :grin2:

Poland, Czechia, France, Spain, Austria maybe, but I think it will be mainly Germany and I don´t think I will live long enough to cover all the others anyway.

#30 ·
I wouldn't know what to look for Ray, we used to drink Aldi 1 ltr boxes of wine until each box started to taste different, maybe they started buying his wine to fill the boxes.
Hans lost his taste for any thing other than beer and I couldn´t care less if I drink anything alcoholic or not, (she says with a big glass of Gin, orange juice and tonic on the coffee table :grin2:

#31 ·
Jan, just buy a dedicated sat nav, either Garmin or TomTom.
Which one you choose is up to you, if you want go for the motorhome one but many will tell you not to bother as they don't definitely plan you a route that is suitable for your van, although I've had those versions for years and never had a problem.
Might be an expense but shrouds have no pockets as they say.

#32 ·
Jan, just buy a dedicated sat nav, either Garmin or TomTom.
Which one you choose is up to you, if you want go for the motorhome one but many will tell you not to bother as they don't definitely plan you a route that is suitable for your van, although I've had those versions for years and never had a problem.
Might be an expense but shrouds have no pockets as they say.

I have found something thats neither of those, but for this price it seems OK for my needs.

I like the sun shield as well.

Attachments

#33 ·
If you buy a quality unit it will not need a sunscreen, the screen is good enough without it.
Just one problem with the cheaper ones is always quality of screen be it the touch response or the image delivered.

Were your responders correct ref you needing a smartphone?

#36 ·
Don't quite understand your last sentence John, I said I have the phone, but it's too small and fixing is a problem so I need a Navi to get me to a place then the phone to find a place to stay.
I kind of restarted the thread today, post 19.

Ok so this cheapy is not recommended then, so tomorrow the Garmin it will be. I'm in bed now therefore can't do it now., it's been a not day and will be hotter tomorrow so need to get up early to get things done while it's still cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.