Computer help needed please - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-12-2019, 19:08 Thread Starter

Computer help needed please

My PC is running win7 and has a 1tb hard drive, C and D at 500gb each.

The C is filling up and I have moved almost everything to the D drive, or large volumes of photos to the other plugin drives at 2tb each

What can I do, where to look?

Almost all of the areas in C have minimal memory useage, the exceptions are below

Program files - 2.13gb
Program files x86 - 5.23gb plus
Users - 25.6gb
Windows - 18.4 mb (not gb)

So whereís the other 400+ ? I assume in the program files x86?

I have no intention to get a Mac or go Linux so Iíd like some other option as the PC is well specced otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C8D0A6C4-CBCB-4C5E-A0EA-931423589BB7.jpg (342.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 9AE0A8B9-EB2D-4D94-815C-8A1A0056BC02.jpg (351.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 752768BC-7CF2-41A5-B14D-C0EC72875DB1.jpg (295.0 KB, 13 views)

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going Iíll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-12-2019, 23:01

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Hi, a few observations.

First you should be thinking about moving to W10 at some point as W7 is becoming unsupported. You say that your PC is well specced but I presume it started life nearly 10 years ago? Maybe you've upgraded it internally since.

I think your best bet is to download a disk space analyser to see what's filling it up. There are loads of free ones out there but choose one from a reputable download site. Here is one that I have used https://download.cnet.com/SpaceSniff...-10913555.html. You'll need to run it as Adminstrator for best results.

A couple of things though from what you've said - somewhere within Users there is a vast amount of something - most likely photos or videos but could be music or stuff in the recycle bin. Also what you are seeing for Windows isn't what's there because W7 is generally between 20GB and 30GB. I suppose it's possible thatyou may have previous versions of Windows clogging it up as well.

Ideally if you are happy to do it (or have someone do it for you) is to do a complete re installation of Windows - assuming it hasn't happened for a few years. It's a laborious pain and you have to obviosuly make sure that you have backed up everything safely etc but you'll end up with a new PC afterwards - well new given its age!

Good luck!
raynipper and Sprinta like this.

Peter
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-12-2019, 23:10

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Have you defragged the C partition?

Jean

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-12-2019, 23:18 Thread Starter

Jean - yes itís been done, thanks

Peter - I nearly went win10 when it was a free Upgrade but was a bit worried as Iíd seen how bad 8 was on my dads PC. I have now found that my Garmin updates donít overwrite the original it adds another program each time. Iíve got umpteen copies in there to delete, each of them is 5gb or so. I got rid of a few to see if it worked - it did, Iíll get to work on them in a day or two. Iíll move the rest of my photo copies out of D to free up space, and then repartition C after Iíve cleaned it up as best I can. Then Iíll see if itís workable for a while longer as itís a fast unit with good ram and so I can have a good play with Photoshop. Iíll look for that program you mention too. Thanks
raynipper and peribro like this.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going Iíll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-12-2019, 23:58

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
From your first pic it seems you have four drives running together, though you say they are "plugged in"
If so, your machine has to look after a lot of files.
You might want have a look at a Kingwin hard drive switch ( or similar ) which will switch in/out storage hard drives when
required/not required. Your machine then only has the main drive to manage most of the time. Quicker.

With six drive capability, there is also the opportunity to clone your main drive and switch it off out of harms way at regular intervals. Real backup.

Bill
Sprinta likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 12:17

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,022 Times in 887 Posts
Personal Aire
Treesize is quite a good one for analysing disk usage and you can delete stuff, sort by file size etc but use with caution. Its a powerful tool. Occasionally Windows 7 can start clogging up disk space with temporary files or backup files which continue to grow. It could be that but first you need to find where all that disk space is at. https://customers.jam-software.de/do...&article_no=80

Just download the portable version. probably best to run as administrator although I think it asks you that when you run it. Then you just select the directory top left and let it analyse the disk. You should then be able to see where that space is being used and then drill down through the directories to find the culprit files.
Sprinta likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 17:52 Thread Starter

Iíve found a shed load of Garmin updates held in the programs and deleted the blinkin things, the best part of 40gb worth! Now Iíve moved 120gb+ of photos that I donít need 3 copies of from the D drive. Then Iíll make the C drive partition a lot larger to keep things under control for a while longer.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Burstner Nexxo T660
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 18:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
I wouldnt have thought you would need to mess with the partitions unless you have hundreds of applications. Generally its data storage for photos, videos, music etc that people run out of disk space with. If you move the actual documents, photos, videos and music libraries to the D Drive that should be enough. Ive had to rethink how I store stuff. My last laptop had a 1gb HD which I eventually filled before it actually fell to bits after three years of hammer. Ive gone SSD now but its only a 360gb so I had to dump a load of stuff to an external and just keep on top of it. Its Videos and music production with me. Takes up load of space.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 19:21

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I wouldnt have thought you would need to mess with the partitions unless you have hundreds of applications. Generally its data storage for photos, videos, music etc that people run out of disk space with. If you move the actual documents, photos, videos and music libraries to the D Drive that should be enough. Ive had to rethink how I store stuff. My last laptop had a 1gb HD which I eventually filled before it actually fell to bits after three years of hammer. Ive gone SSD now but its only a 360gb so I had to dump a load of stuff to an external and just keep on top of it. Its Videos and music production with me. Takes up load of space.

He is right, his video and music productions take up a lot of space to the chagrin of the rest of us, just keep away from Fruitcakes where he excels.

Barry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-12-2019, 19:53

Personal Aire
Ill deal with you later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page