Computer help needed please - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 22:54

As you've said, Garmin downloads new versions of their map files (c5-6Gb \ version). They then reside in two folders.
Check you've covered both folders.
Think they are in -

\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map - you can delete all versions

\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps - do not delete the latest version as this is the "live" environment

Do not touch any files in \Program Files (x86)\Garmin as they are the system files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 00:22

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
If you don't already have something like it, download CCleaner and run it. It may find a heap of stuff it can delete.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 18:31

My Motorhome: Frankia T 72 FD
I have a similar set up with a partitioned C / D of 224GB and 704GB respectively. My C drive also fills up and Garmin is the worst offender. I intend to try the programs mentioned by those more knowledgable than me....

I clone my drive every couple of months and check the current drive against the clone before recloning using windirstat and delete the files that are excessively larger than the clone - Garmin usually...

Last edited by swanny65; 04-01-2020 at 18:34.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:42 Thread Starter

Iíve sent it in to a local computer geek. His first thoughts were that probably deleted files were still acting as ghost files and taking up space. I did a google search and it seems that when you delete a file and clear the recycle bin the actual deleted bits and pieces are still there until they get overwritten by another file. Apparently itís because to delete fully takes as long to delete as to overwrite. As my system is now 10 years old but was very high specced in its day, Iíve asked them to replace the drive with a SSD and go win10.

Iíd imagine that these ďghostĒ files are what caught out Gary Glitter and others?

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going Iíll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:44

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,023 Times in 888 Posts
Personal Aire
Ten years!! I dont think ive ever had a laptop last more than three. Still, an SSD will breathe some life into it. You might face the same issue I did though when I went to SSD if your used to having a large hard drive unless you have forked out for a high capacity SSD. I went from a 1tb HD to a 360GB SSD so I had to store a lot of stuff from the old laptop onto an external drive plus I often have to do a bit of a clean up purge which you should do anyway really. I put an SSD into Mrs D's old Dell Latitude recently which she refuses to part with and its fantastic now.
greygit and raynipper like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 21:00

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
Even though the deleted files are still on the hard drive (and, yes, recoverable unless written over by new files) they don't count as used space. So running CCleaner would be the way to free up space. Advisable to do routinely.

Buy a decent spec one and upgradable (memory and hard drive usually) and you can get a lot of years from them. Most breakable bits are hard drives, screen hinges & the display wire through them, power input socket.

The SSD will give it a nice bit of pep. They've come down in price so hopefully you got a decent sized one (minimum of 250Gb). Anything less will fill quickly.

Win 10 with 4Gb of memory is barely ok, but if you can it likes a minimum of 8Gb.
raynipper likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 Thread Starter

They are sticking in a 2tb ssd and win10 was able to be put on as a free upgrade from win7. I already have 2 x 2tb separate hard drives so Iíve plenty of storage space. Iím running 6gb ram at 3ghz so it should be fast enough

I run CCleaner routinely along with Glary utilities and Iolo so itís not for want of trying to keep it cleaned and fast.
barryd and Matchlock like this.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going Iíll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page