Revitalising an old laptop - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-11-2019, 19:27 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Revitalising an old laptop

Mrs D's trusty Dell Latitude E6230 died a slow death before we went away. Basically it took hours to boot up or do anything, the USB ports didnt seem to respond either. No amount of trying the usual stuff to get it up and running properly worked. I managed to get all the important stuff off although most of it is backed up in the cloud now anyway (apart from 100gb of bloody photos). I gave up before we went away and gave her a full size Acer to use in the van which she hates as its not "Borrower" size.

I did think about fitting an SSD drive but figured I would run into all sorts of problems if I couldnt get any response from the USB drives for boot up and the install of windows etc.

Anyway I found this seller on Ebay who would supply a 240gb brand new SSD drive with Windows 10 Pro already installed and ready to go. I was sceptical at first as to if it would work but as the seller agreed for me to post it back at my expense if it was no good I gave it a punt. Totally perfect. Booted up straight away into Windows. I needed to run some updates of course and for good measure I went to the Dell site and let it diagnose all the device drivers that maybe needed updating but it was a doddle. The hardest part was putting the bloody case back on. Only one screw but its tricky.

The machine is mega fast now. I was going to just bin it and get her a new one but she loves it and to be fair the build quality of these old business machines is fantastic.

And the bill? £45.

Seller seems pretty genuine and helpful as well and there are clear instructions as to what to do. The old OS was Windows 7 pro and all I did to activate the new one was enter the product ID off the case and it worked.

Im not saying all will be easy like this and some may need BIOS tweeks but Im really impressed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SSD-W...72.m2749.l2649

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Last edited by barryd; 15-11-2019 at 19:29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-11-2019, 20:17
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
That was a good deal Barry

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-11-2019, 21:36

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I was wondering weather to update an old HP Elite book Win7 laptop to Win10 or even if it could be updated.
As it only has a 150GB SSD, 8GB of RAM with an Intel i7.

It works absolutely fine and fast but Win7. Once again I only use it when travelling.

Ray.
p.s. they have sold out of the 250GB discs.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 00:35 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Well personally I never seem to keep a laptop more than three years. After that its usually knackered. I tend to advise people to just get rid between 3-5 years as well but this isnt a bad route to both upgrading to Windows 10 before 7 stops being supported and without the hassle of either paying someone for an SSD upgrade or getting your head round cloning a drive and buying the bits that go with it. For £45 its a cheap and easy way to do it. Presuming they all go as smoothly as this one did of course.

Im guessing the seller just has a cheap source of SSD's and has the cloning kit with a master drive with everything pre installed so just creates as many as he wants. Maybe makes twenty quid a pop or something. It came with Win 10 Pro, Avast AV, Libre Office, Ccleaner and some other stuff pre installed. I got shot of all that of course and put proper office on it but the guy has obviously thought of a great way to make it easy for people to make the transition from HD to SSD.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 09:57
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
For info:-
Mine already had W 10 so I bought a Kingston 'Kit' which supplied an enclosure, mounting plate and software to clone the original.....about £50 but prices seem to be lower now.
120GB is fine for the laptop.....our two PCs have 120GB SSDs but 1TB storage drives.
Wife's 120 SSD is now a bit tight with W 10 because she has more complex editing and design programmes than I use.....both running for 7 years.
barryd likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 10:48

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Last Saturday I took my 'dead' PC to a local Computer repair shop fully expecting him to announce the demise of the device after extensive and costly examination.

But no, he stripped off the cover, talked a lot of Computer 'talk', cleaned this and a bit of that, took some cables out and didn't replace them, sprayed some parts, talked some more and the PC started up like a good'un.

After about twenty minutes I left the shop with a fully working PC and only £15 lighter in my pocket.

I realise not every problem is solvable but if you can find a good experienced PC expert then most things seem to be possible in the Computer world.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 10:55

Brilliant Keith, I will get my duster and spray paint out and have a go.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 11:18

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
He did talk a lot about 'static' and used a small vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust (?) particles that affect a computer.

Apparently the worst place to have your computer is in a room with a wooden floor which produces much more dust than any other type of floor.

But over time dust will get in, think of the fan/s grill, and perhaps a yearly visit to have it cleaned would help.

Or perhaps just pop it in the washer now and again ..........

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 11:32

I do regularly take my Tower to the shed and use an airline to blow the dust away and reposition all slots and plugs.
I think a consequence of this is a very noisy CD drive as it now sounds like a cement mixer. I know they are not expensive to buy and I could cannibalise an old PC but rarely use it now.
Never thought about blowing the laptops though.

Ray.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 12:22 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
Last Saturday I took my 'dead' PC to a local Computer repair shop fully expecting him to announce the demise of the device after extensive and costly examination.

But no, he stripped off the cover, talked a lot of Computer 'talk', cleaned this and a bit of that, took some cables out and didn't replace them, sprayed some parts, talked some more and the PC started up like a good'un.

After about twenty minutes I left the shop with a fully working PC and only £15 lighter in my pocket.

I realise not every problem is solvable but if you can find a good experienced PC expert then most things seem to be possible in the Computer world.

He wont last long. Fifteen quid! Should have sent you packing for a couple of hours and on your return told you it needed a new Flux Capacitor. £199.99.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page