Revitalising an old laptop - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 12:47

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
He wont last long. Fifteen quid! Should have sent you packing for a couple of hours and on your return told you it needed a new Flux Capacitor. £199.99.
I don't know much about Flux Capacitors but if he'd suggested that I needed one fitting he would have been advised to put it somewhere where the light rarely shines and not in my Computer.

We've used the shop for some years now, they sell reconditioned PCs and Laptops at a reasonable price (£45 upward - with 6 month guarantees), and good customer service is what helps keep them in business.

Old fashioned business practises do work sometimes.

Penquin, barryd and raynipper like this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 17:59 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
I don't know much about Flux Capacitors but if he'd suggested that I needed one fitting he would have been advised to put it somewhere where the light rarely shines and not in my Computer.

We've used the shop for some years now, they sell reconditioned PCs and Laptops at a reasonable price (£45 upward - with 6 month guarantees), and good customer service is what helps keep them in business.

Old fashioned business practises do work sometimes.

Here you go Keef. Learn summat useful.

The Flux Capacitor https://tinyurl.com/qtgbgos

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 20:00

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Quote:
Here you go Keef. Learn summat useful.

The Flux Capacitor https://tinyurl.com/qtgbgos
That's what SWMBO uses when she drives the Motorhome round the M25 on our way to Eurotunnel and back.

Time certainly flies for me when she's passing everything ............

barryd likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-11-2019, 21:54 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
That's what SWMBO uses when she drives the Motorhome round the M25 on our way to Eurotunnel and back.

Time certainly flies for me when she's passing everything ............

Im the same. When we leave north yorkshire and join the A1 at Scotch corner on the 310 mile trek to Dover I start off just around 60. By the time I hit the M11 and then the M25 the pedal is just on the floor I get so pissed off with it. Some of those big hills on the way to Dover have be dropping gears and revving the tits off the van but any consideration about conserving fuel and taking it easy goes out of the window by wetherby really.
greygit and KeithChesterfield like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2019, 06:56

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Where's that dislike button.?? NIMBY.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2019, 09:59

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Im the same. When we leave north yorkshire and join the A1 at Scotch corner on the 310 mile trek to Dover I start off just around 60. By the time I hit the M11 and then the M25 the pedal is just on the floor I get so pissed off with it.
I was the same on my long but fast journey up through Spain, France, UK n Ireland when my Santander-Cork was cancelled.

I think I wrote on my 'Spain here I come' thread that even on motorway I was 90-100km/hr, n usually nearer 90. That wasn't the case after a few hundred km!!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2019, 10:56
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Blow Dry our machines every 6 months or so!
raynipper likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2019, 11:13

I feel sad when I hear of people binning 3 year old PCs/Laptops when they slow to a crawl. It is surely due to the Operating System they are using. I know I've said this before but can't resist a repeat. I'm typing this on my 8 year old Dell Inspiron laptop. I've no antivirus, no anti-malware, no cleaners, no defraggers and it still works the same speed it did when new.
My OS is Linux Mint 17.3 - which has been updated as newer versions come out. I can still boot to my Win8 if I need to update my Tomtom (one of the very few things that is not compatible)

So Barry you could have got back to full speed with a free download.
raynipper likes this.

Paul
Founder of SillyLeaks
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2019, 11:18

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I did look at Linux a couple of times but it was such a new learning curve I gave up and took the easy way out for me.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2019, 11:57 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldlygo View Post
I feel sad when I hear of people binning 3 year old PCs/Laptops when they slow to a crawl. It is surely due to the Operating System they are using. I know I've said this before but can't resist a repeat. I'm typing this on my 8 year old Dell Inspiron laptop. I've no antivirus, no anti-malware, no cleaners, no defraggers and it still works the same speed it did when new.
My OS is Linux Mint 17.3 - which has been updated as newer versions come out. I can still boot to my Win8 if I need to update my Tomtom (one of the very few things that is not compatible)

So Barry you could have got back to full speed with a free download.
Not really, the hard drive was knackered. Plus we use applications like MS Office, Sage etc so Linux is no good. I have tried various versions of it on old laptops in the past and its ok but its just no good for running the programs we need. Its the same for my business clients as well really. Its not economically viable to try and repair or speed up an ancient laptop, better to just spend the money on installing a new one. For home use though its different I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
raynipper (17-11-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page